Day 2 - Nexus redesign

Dark0ne

Hey i have a skin idea, How about a blast from the past and make one of the the old tessource. If thats what your plans are in the near future.

just for nostalgia reasons :thumbsup:

Noting the skin box feature

Edited by Thor.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Using IE8 windows xp sp3, I cannot activate any of the modal links (download, images, comments, etc.), when the cursor hovers over the link the appropriate title shows up, but no functionality. I changed my download preference at a Nexus site according to Dark Ones prior post, but no change.

Also, on the bottom of each web page, the links in the "Site" column do not work, when clicking on any "News, About us, contact, etc" it takes you to the top of the same page. The other links in "Files, Image Library, Community, Wiki, Nexus Network, Support" all work fine

When you are at a mod page you have the title in big bold letters followed by the images.

It would be nice to put the "Small Description" right under the title (in smaller font) to give the images some context so visitors are reminded what the mod is about.

hi there!

i've been a long time fan of the nexus sites and especially the vast amounts of mods, pics and info for the communities of great games. being a web developer and web designer myself, i'd like to share some points of view regarding the new design (my humble opinion though ;)

from the point of usability, the new look is definitely a big let down since with the old design, everything was sorted and easy to "reach" from the frontpage - now there is an image slider which isn't really user friendly, since it is quite large but features not really much useful info. there are only five elements and the filter beneath it isn't that useful. the main navigation on top is neat but i think a lot of the content we previously had would fit quite nicely into the sidebar, which is nearly empty anyway (may be biased regarding that, i never liked drop down menus a lot).

i also think there's a lot of wasted viewpoint space - honestly, the background images are nice but since the main content area is so small, a lot of scrolling is necessary and especially on tablet or mobile devices that becomes a pain - i'd love to see more mod specific info on the main page than a lot of blog entries or maybe you can shorten the blog teasers at least a bit and put some more mod teasers or hot files or something there. i know you won't change the fixed-width layout (and i can understand why) but maybe you fill the emtpy spaces with some hovering DIV boxes (and add a closing or folding functionality with JS to that so people may hide them if undesired) - i'd also love to see some dashboard functionality based on JS/AJAX which allows for putting custom boxes in those side areas and thus have my loved quickstart stuff handy again.

from my point of view, the mile long main area also kills the footer navigation, which is (IMHO) too cluttered - i'd appreciate having the links and stuff from the footer handy somewhere near the top when visting the site. i also think that the current design isn't very intuitive towards new users since it practically camouflages the big USP of the nexus sites: truckloads of great files, mods and pictures for the games - currently, it looks a lot like most other gaming blogs and a new user isn't able to recognize that there is a lot of cool stuff under the hood ;)

but all in all, i also want to extend my congratulations - a lot of site owners who run sites with a network as large as yours and so much data and users would never have the guts to do a drastic redesign and walk new paths and i hope many of the nexus users realize the effort and the time and resources the nexus team invests in those sites and appreciates the possibility to provide feedback and have their concerns heard. and hey - a lot of people at first didn't like it when the guys from Metallica cut their hair and changed their style XD

so keep up the good work and never stop providing us with those great communities!

I'm sorry but this is just awful for usability. Yes it looks somewhat nicer, but long narrow page in the age of widescreen? Come on! Search results are less readable for those that can read fast, using icons instead of text for "images" "files" etc. is also wrong.

Perhaps this has been brought up before, but I'd greatly appreciate it if you'd restore the pop-up notification when we receive a message from another user. That little box up there is easy to overlook, particularly from my phone.

Bugs isn't the problem and if you are using IE, you have dug your own grave. The problem is that you insist working on the new layout, claiming it will work better when it's done. I seriously doubt it, because it's still too narrow and doesn't use a big part of the screen. I don't understand the point of doing a redesign at all, since the old one works so well. Maybe you can improve on that instead?