Gaming Sickness

pleezefragme

Ahh, I've heard of this, know quite a lot of people with it too, including immediate family.

Try talking to a doctor about it-it's pretty common. A few remedies I know: chewing ginger root helps(a lot) sitting further from your screen, and in some cases, anti-motion sickness pills or sea-bands.

Sometimes it goes away with experience too, I was watching an interview with a very experienced university proffessor about this a few months ago, and she said that familiarity is helpful in both traditional motion sickness(involving boats) car sickness, and gaming sickness. Flying games used to make me a bit dizzy(try doing a corkscrew while facing the ground in Ace Combat, if you're not dizzy, you're either dead, or Top Gun) but that wore off as I developed sea-legs.

And really, try chewing ginger roots, it sounds crazy, but it really, really, really works-I get badly seasick on boats, but ginger basicaly eliminates the dizziness.

Thank you all a lot.

I tried ginger roots yesterday and it worked very well! Though it tastes horrible xD I sucked small pieces of it like a drop and I've not become sick for hours. And a piece of ginger root is much cheaper (and healthier ) than pills.

I wonder if ginger tea or ginger ale has the same effect? I'll try it. For sience. lol

Edited by pleezefragme

yeah, motion sickness is the bane of my gaming experience. I usually get it because of the FOV and the motion bob.

If I remember correctly when Farcry 2 was released on PC a lot of people were getting motion sickness because of the FOV. They eventually fixed it with a patch, although that patch didn't affect multiplayer so I could never play it for more than 20 minutes or so.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the same problem at times. I think my problem is more that fact that I have such a large amount of games that I can play at anyone time over many genres. I find more now though that the faster the pace of game the more it affects me. I've managed to combat this by playing some games with a different approach such as playing at a slower pace (Halo), taking a different approach to the game (Deus Ex Human Revelution)or even not playing a game for as long (Shift 2).

However I've spent a lot of time playing with the contrast and colour settings on a lot of games to bring it to more of a natural level so that it doesn't affect me as much. For example Fallout 3 and FNV are naturally tinted more to one colour spectrum then other games and Shift 2 was balanced more towards a grey scale within the game and had a much darker contrast. Changing these slight little things made a huge difference in the long run and they don't seem to affect me anymore. Changing the amount that you can see on one screen could also be a factor. With games such as Elder Scrolls 4 - Oblivion you can have it so that distant object are rendered within your field of view. You could try also prehaps disabling these choices to thus reduce the amount of input your eyes have to take.

It could also be down to even such a little thing as to how bright your monitor is. Some laptops have a more naturally dark contrast then tower monitors and could be causing the headaches and sickness. As others have said make sure you follow a few golden rules weither you are gaming or not. Take a break once in a while, play or use your computer in a well lit room and make sure that you eat and drink on semi regular intervals.

I hope I haven't bored you with a wall of text.

Sabarel Tatheth

I only get carsick, but it's really bad. I don't throw up, but I feel like it. Most of the time, I'd rather throw up because I feel so bad. It normally only happens when I read or something, but if I'm in a car that's really high up (like a F-150) for more than 2 hours, I get sick.

With games such as Elder Scrolls 4 - Oblivion you can have it so that distant object are rendered within your field of view. You could try also prehaps disabling these choices to thus reduce the amount of input your eyes have to take.

I think this is exactly my problem. As the laptop only had an onboard graphicchip those setting were on very low. Now with the new PC with better graphiccard I can see all the things and objects that are far away. Now I understand why I haven't been sick while playing on the laptop. Thank you for the explanation.

Thats not a problem at all Fragme. It may well be worth slowly over time enabling these objects and selections one at a time so that your brain and eyes have a natural chance to build up to them. I would start off slowly enabling them and in a few months, may be less if you feel capable you will be able to play with it back at max settings.

I get that too, except it's when I played Metro 2033 with motion blur on. It takes 1-20 mins before kicking in (depends on the action onscreen). Disabling motion blur removes the nausea and tummy ache problem.

As others have said, try leaning away from the screen. And get a lamp IMO.

• 2 months later...

I once read at a site for people who are afraid of overdosing on the drug. There are side effect's of taking Dramamine when you don't need it, and you could use ground ginger root.

1/8 teaspoon is all you need for a whole night of gaming.

Oh! Yeah! I almost forgot to tell you the rest of the story.

The side effect's of Dramamine are strange indeed, especially if you don't read much. Because after a day, or two, have past since you took a daily recommended dosage the last time, this is the strange part, when you look at any written word it seem's like you have gotten the ability to read so well, the word's speak to you.

Very strange indeed.

They don't actually speak to you, but you are able to read with a clarity like you may not have experienced before.

Don't go and buy a bunch of Dramamine though. All you need to do is buy a little can of ground ginger root and use an 1/8th teaspoon. Like I already pointed out, "You would be able to play through the night and the next day."

If you tend to be like me and stay in on cold winter Saturday nights with a cozy comforter, a warm drink, a warm computer, and warm monitor where you spend the night defeating all the enemies you can before the sun comes up and you have to go to the Outhouse through four feet of snow...

Oh! For those of you who have never spent a winter in a cabin up in the mountain's. "get some snow shoes for the first day of heavy snow in the winter, if you know what mean, or you might be shoveling more than snow on your way to and from the outhouse. LOL

Don't forget about the ground ginger root. 1/8 of a teaspoon with a meal or at least a few minutes before you start playing the Grayscale background filled games which can sensed as if they were almost in 3D because of the added depth to the color scale.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey! You might be interested to know about this patch fix that removes some of the reason that gaming movement makes us nauseus. Here's the link if you're interested and would rather not eat ginger root, powdered ginger root, or *YUCK* eat Dramamine.

Stops certain motion in image's:

Plynxs No Motion Sickness

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1450