A Critical Question for everyone who played the PAX demo.

Alcrin

What I want to know is this: Because custom spellmaking is out and there are only 80-odd spells in the game, do spells get stronger as your skill level in the appropriate school increases? Or does it work like Oblivion where you have to buy more powerful versions of the same spell? None of the interviewers ever ask anything about the magic system and this frustrates me to no end.

In the QuakeCon presentation, Todd Howard showed the Flames spell does 6 damage per second with a character who has a Destruction skill of 93. The PAX demo characters probably won't have a destruction skill that high, so if someone reports the Flames spell does less than that...

Edited by Alcrin

ah .. I know this is just a guess and my opinion but I'm gonna say it levels .. they seems to be cutting out the annoying things and hunting spell shops for that spell that fit your level just right was a huge annoyance in oblivion .. I'm gonna go further and make a bet that spell Perks will do things like increase range and decrease magic needed instead of it being based on the spell you find in the shop .. could be wrong of course .. just my two cents

Edit: skills = perks

Edited by jedimembrain

ah .. I know this is just a guess and my opinion but I'm gonna say it levels .. they seems to be cutting out the annoying things and hunting spell shops for that spell that fit your level just right was a huge annoyance in oblivion .. I'm gonna go further and make a bet that spell Perks will do things like increase range and decrease magic needed instead of it being based on the spell you find in the shop .. could be wrong of course .. just my two cents

Edit: skills = perks

That would indeed be awesome, but it's one thing to wish for something and another to have confirmation.

According to the Quakecon leak, it does 6 damage per second and cost 5 magicka per second, and it's a novice spell, I think it's the one you start out with in the game, plus a healing spell.

What I want to know is this: Because custom spellmaking is out and there are only 80-odd spells in the game, do spells get stronger as your skill level in the appropriate school increases? Or does it work like Oblivion where you have to buy more powerful versions of the same spell? None of the interviewers ever ask anything about the magic system and this frustrates me to no end.

In the QuakeCon presentation, Todd Howard showed the Flames spell does 6 damage per second with a character who has a Destruction skill of 93. The PAX demo characters probably won't have a destruction skill that high, so if someone reports the Flames spell does less than that...

This has been eating away at me, too, Alcrin. It amazes me that no info has yet to come out! I'm hoping that even if the spells don't improve with skill increases, there will be less clutter in the spell lists this time around. No more multiple stages of Fireball every 10 levels, please!