archive invalidation makes things disapear

Dan3345

Just started playing oblivion again in anticipation for skyrim, and I installed a few mods which I will post below in a second. I am having a few problems, firstly is that textures weren't apearing correctly until I installed archive invalidation through OBMM, sounds good right? Well now textures are fine but when I start a new game and I am in the prison my characters upper body is totally transparent while wearing the prisoner shirt, and with the shackles around his wrists the hand textures are all wrong. I also noticed in the character creation screen that the high imperial race is missing. When I select it there is no person to view for male, and if I click to see the female the game instantly crashes.

I haven't played this game in a very long time so I don't remember much of anything in the way of fixing this... Anyways all help would be appreciated, and if this is in the wrong place I am sorry. But truth be told I am not sure if this issue is from a mod or not...

Here is my load order. I used BOSS to achieve this.

Oblivion.esm

CM Partners.esm

DLCShiveringIsles.esp

Sounds of Cyrodiil.esp

DLCHorseArmor.esp

DLCOrrery.esp

DLCVileLair.esp

DLCMehrunesRazor.esp

DLCSpellTomes.esp

MaleBodyReplacerV4.esp

Tyrael Armor.esp

DLCThievesDen.esp

DLCBattlehornCastle.esp

DLCFrostcrag.esp

Knights.esp

RealisticLeveling.esp

CM Partners.esp

Synx.esp

CM Partners NPC.esp

CM Partners Extra NPCs.esp

CM Partner Isabell.esp

mergedpatch.esp

I am using two omods and they are CM partners and RealisticLeveling.

I originally blamed the male body replacer but the problem persists with it on.. Oh the other problem I am having is that when I am cycling through the lists of eyes for example in the character creation screen it will work, and then stop. I mean it will literally stop cycling through them and no matter how much I click to keep cycling through the lists it doesn't do anything. Happens with hair also. I should note it happens with every race including vanilla.

I had this problem as well, I am not even sure what it was. I worked and slaved over it for a long while, only to find out I had to reinstall. I did not have Oblivion on Steam, so if you have it on Steam then you should verify your cache.

2. Go to Library
  3. Right click Oblivion
  4. Properties
  5. Local Files
  6. Verify integrity of cache

Edited by iansaltman

Thanks for the info, I fixed the invisible armor (turned out t=I had applied archive to meshes which wasn't necessary) but I couldn't fix the imperial. Its okay though I just didn't play as one, and I realized the controls would get messed up only after scrolling over it. So just avoided it and it works fine. Imperials in game work also. Thanks for the help though, hopefully I won't have any adverse side affects of this later on.

Make sure you're using the proper way of Archive Invalidation, no "ArchiveInvalidation.txt"-file-based antiquated approaches which never worked reliably to begin with or something along the lines.

"BSA Redirection" is what you should be using. And if on Steam, also click the button "Reset BSA timestamps" once to get rid of the troublesome far-too-recent filedates on your BSA files, which can easily prevent every replacer-type mod to work ever.

BSA Redirection, as done by OBMM, Wrye Bash or "ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated!" puts an empty dummy BSA into your data folder and modifies your Oblivion.ini to load it at the place in the "sArchiveList" entry the only BSA requiring invalidation is listed at, technically eliminating the need for Archive Invalidation entirely once and for all (unless the entry in the ini gets modified and undone).

Also make sure you don't have any left-over "ArchiveInvalidation.txt" files left anywhere inside your folders, as using BSA Redirection they will make the game attempt to use external files over internal ones from a BSA which is now an empty dummy, and this can cause multiple random issues.

However, the cause for the issues you're describing, invisible body parts with Robert's Male Body when wearing Vanilla clothing/armor items, is simply due to not using the proper Stock (or Overhaul) Clothing And Armor Replacer for Robert's. As you otherwise will have a Vanilla body mesh while wearing Vanilla items, this will cause missing texture or missing normalmap issues, and in case of Robert's Male Body also this yet-unexplainable disappearance of the body part with the clothing/armor you're wearing altogether. When using custom races without Vanilla texures, you will also get Imperial skin (or purple when on a different language version of the game) on any other body part than "feet" when wearing Vanilla items.

Now, where does the High Imperial race come from, as it's not part of the original game? Do the textures of this race work fine on Robert's Male body meshes or are they for Vanilla bodies exclusively? And what female body replacer does it perhaps require?

And what is this "mergedpatch.esp"? Only 1 plugin with erroneous hair or eye settings in your load order and you will encounter exactly this "can't change eyes/hairs anymore" issue once you came across such an erroneous entry while cycling through the options.

You're, as far as I can see, only using Robert's Male and the Synx race as plugins of cosmetic type, so it could be you won't need any compatibility patches for the two, but it could also be they require one already, thus using the "bashed patch" feature from Wrye Bash could become advisable here.

edit: Ninja'd by the OP with new results of further progress... oh, well, but most of my points still apply. Even if you got your bodies to show again already, make still sure you're using Stock Replacers for the causes I mentioned.

Edited by DrakeTheDragon

Pretty sure I did... Could have made a mistake though, been modding for a while but there is always a chance of a mistake. Does anyone know which mod adds that race? Its been a while since I played this game so I just assumed it was a part of the game that was conflicting with a mod. I suppose it could be the synx race but that only adds 6 races, and they all worked fine.

DrakeTheDragon I am using TESedit like I do in all my fallout games, and its basically a program that allows me to edit the ID's of mods that are conflicting to make them work. I can do this manually or let the program do it for me, and I let the program do it. I named it mergedpatch, because, well...Thats what it is.

If you want to know more click the link in my sig. Granted its for fallout but it works the same.

Edited by Dan3345

Ah, the manual way, alright. So the bashed patch isn't really "necessary".

I've been using the manual way of getting conflicting mods (especially cosmetic mods) to work together myself for quite a long time, though I wasn't using a 3rd party tool but the CS only.

Then I got tired of keeping up with all the updates (or maybe I got too old for it?) and switched to the automatic solution quite some months ago. Things were actually working better than before and it was no work for me anymore, so I sticked with it.

It eludes me how "editing the IDs" eliminates "all" conflicts though, as without Wrye Bash there is not even gender deviation in Oblivion's race settings, and the "rule of one" is not a thing of conflicting IDs but overrides. So I'm a little confused of what exactly this does to help overcome those things only a manually merged patch plugin or the bashed patch can solve otherwise.

I actually happened to read the stuff in your link a couple weeks ago just out of curiosity. :sweat:

First thing that came to mind is that the thing called "master update" will inevitably break Oblivion, as most plugins "alter" entries from Oblivion.esm and in Oblivion there shouldn't be 2 ESMs touching the same records. There is no apparent load order for ESMs, so this is only asking for trouble.

But that's the difference between Oblivion and FallOut I guessed.

Then Archive Invalidation originally is only the means to tell the game which external resources to use over internal ones, while what you're describing, putting a blank dummy over Vanilla, is what "BSA Redirection" does, just it's not a texture but the textures BSA file. BSA Redirection, however, is only 1 of 3 ways for Archive Invalidation, although it's the only sane one in my eyes, and it's not even Archive Invalidation itself anymore but actually the elimination of the need for Archive Invalidation entirely.

But that's only me nitpicking again.

Edited by DrakeTheDragon

Ok so now I am having a new problem... And rather than start a new pointless thread and clutter the board I figured I would just post in this one.

So I am having performance issues. And here is my computer.

AMD 1100T 3.3ghz hexcore

6950 2gb @ 840mhz

6gb's 1333mhz PAtriot Ram

700watt PSU

Gigabyte 770t

Really annoying. This is a 6 year old game probably older and on ultra the game lags, a lot. I am using the OBSR and fake fullscreen mode, I have tweaked the ini to allow multithreading for many different things (as I did in fallout with no problems). i should note that when this was done performance got a bit better but it still is very annoying.

I am still using the same mods, and as you can see its not very many and they are in the correct order. I have set the application to run as administrator and in compatibility mode for windows 7. I have used CFF explorer to enable oblivion.exe to run as a 2gb profile. I relly don't know what else to do. I found that turning off my anti virus software helped a bit.. I can play fallout new vegas on ultra at 60fps, and same with BFBC2 and many other new games, so how come I can't seem to run a very old game?