Would you waste money on collector's edition?

ReaperLeopard

Whatever .. you clearly have never priced those "mass produced plastic statues" .. Plastic doesn't mean crap o_O .. You are just mouthing off about something you don't even know about .. if you add up the prices of everything on that list carefully they are only overpricing it by about 10-20 bucks .. those crappy plastic statues are not as mass produced as you think and they are of far higher quality than you are aware of .. go ahead and price some other stuff from that company of the same scale and quality ... plastic =/= cheap

But like I said .. if you have never purchased a nerdy figurine or bust of some comic book character or something along the same lines then you have no idea what this stuff is really worth to collectors... check into after sale of collector editions too while your at it .. they rarely loose value and most times they end up selling for more than they were at release... they are NOT mass produced to the level that you believe

You clearly haven't read my posts at all. I attend all kinds of sales (as I do collect things) (although due to the job situation purchases are a little on hold) and I have yet to see a plastic statue fetch significant amounts of money. You like plastic statues, fine, but then you are justifying the fact that you have been stung for a large sum by telling yourself that you have an investment.

Ozymandias has the right idea with "The monalisa is just canvas and paint, probably worth less than $50. its real value is the enjoyment people get from looking at it." The china I collect, I started by inheriting some from my Gran and I thought it was just attractive and I'd like some more. I acquired some more from folks in the area. I then went to a museum and saw some on display, apparently the stuff is highly desirable. I just think it's good to look at and is also a piece of my local and family history.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You clearly haven't read my posts at all. I attend all kinds of sales (as I do collect things) (although due to the job situation purchases are a little on hold) and I have yet to see a plastic statue fetch significant amounts of money. You like plastic statues, fine, but then you are justifying the fact that you have been stung for a large sum by telling yourself that you have an investment.

Here you go...... http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1080185 Balrog for $69.25 (plastic model)

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440161a&prodId=prod1160160a Little gay ass warhammer figure (plastic)

Not much of a difference between those figures and a collectable statue of Alduin that is most likely larger

Here you go...... http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1080185 Balrog for $69.25 (plastic model)

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440161a&prodId=prod1160160a Little gay ass warhammer figure (plastic)

Not much of a difference between those figures and a collectable statue of Alduin that is most likely larger

The Alduin statue is more detailed:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6074/6078080876_bb040fd2d4_b.jpg

Even if it is a piece of plastic, it's a really good looking piece of plastic.

Edited by Iv000

The Alduin statue is more detailed:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6074/6078080876_bb040fd2d4_b.jpg

Even if it is a piece of plastic, it's a really good looking piece of plastic.

I agree, that's the point I was trying to get across LOL! after those photos were released showing the detail in the Alduin statue I drove down to Gamestop and paid off the Collector's Edition in full. I loved everything else about the package and once i saw the quality of the statue I went and paid it all off :)

Good to see some people making better points .. All I am trying to say is that these are worth whatever they are worth to collectors .. Material value is low on almost everything unless its made of gold or diamonds .. What something is worth is based on what people are willing to pay for it and these plastic collectable statues are priced pretty high if the market wants them .. I've seen these CE game sets go for twice the value on ebay .. they are not mass produced and they are limited .. once they are gone they are gone and they will be worth much more down the line .. mark my words :P.. Its just trolling to go around saying this is junk and worthless .. I dont collect baseball cards and when I see someone pay thousands for a ball I laugh to myself cause I know its not worth that much to me .. but I wouldn't go into a baseball fansite and call it garbage.

It is not trolling, and I am actually a long standing member of this site, and a long standing Elder Scrolls player, it's not as if I just turned up yesterday. I have as much right to my opinion as you do. I just do not like to see large corporations parting the average man and woman from their money for an item of very little value, and them making out that it is a quality item. This is a marketing ploy on their part, and it stinks even more that they are cynically stinging European buyers for at least 45% more for the CE (there are some pretty unfavourable comments on PCGamer's UK site.)

The Skyrim CE is corporate marketing, that's why I am cynical about it.

It is not trolling, and I am actually a long standing member of this site, and a long standing Elder Scrolls player, it's not as if I just turned up yesterday. I have as much right to my opinion as you do. I just do not like to see large corporations parting the average man and woman from their money for an item of very little value, and them making out that it is a quality item. This is a marketing ploy on their part, and it stinks even more that they are cynically stinging European buyers for at least 45% more for the CE (there are some pretty unfavourable comments on PCGamer's UK site.)

The Skyrim CE is corporate marketing, that's why I am cynical about it.

I can only agree with this.

It is rather insulting that we Europeans have to pay so much more for the same thing.

And while I think that the contents inside the CE are nice, the price is extreme.

I too think that this was some kind of marketing ploy, because I don't see any reasonable explanation that could clarify the price.

Let me just compare the price here:

US - 150$

Europeans - 214$ (Euro - USD exchange rate = 1.42)

That is just too much, I won't support such nonsense.

I don't want to insult the guys who bought it, I would have too if it was cheaper.

$204 here in the UK, $50 for the standard version. So that's $154 for a plastic dragon, book and a DVD that'll end up on Youtube anyway, I'm not criticising those buying it but you can see why some don't really see the value.

$204 here in the UK, $50 for the standard version. So that's $154 for a plastic dragon, book and a DVD that'll end up on Youtube anyway, I'm not criticising those buying it but you can see why some don't really see the value.

True, I guess it's a pointless argument about personal preference. Poor Europeans though that's a s*** ton of money $204 wow

Edited by AxeAlot