MGE Texture/Mesh issues

inflamedpersona

I tried Googling the issue and tried searching the forums, but I honestly have no idea how to describe the problem I'm having other than, well, everything looks like it's made out of clay. Or maybe plastic?

Anyway, I'm fairly certain it's the fault of MGE 3.82 SVN rev 178. This is on a fresh reinstall, but that's because I had 3.8.0b working on an old install that I broke by trying to delete a mod; for the sake of complacency I stopped at 3.8.0b, but I reeeeeally like the water shader in rev 178, hence the experimentation. The assumption is that it's the textures that are gone, since some of the Better Faces textures are there. However, on the boat, everything is flat and lifeless -- our good buddy Jiub looks like a Ken doll with funky face piercings, the crates to your left look like monochromatic brown cubes, etc. The water is still gorgeous (win?) but this is just distracting enough to be considered game-breaking for me. Weird thing is that I'm not getting any error messages on startup, and the only one I've encountered this far is a lone MGE Distant Land error from something about an Ayelid doorjamb (which I'm guessing is from the Neverhalls/Forgotten Halls addon). I've run mlox, Wrye Mash and exeOpt on the base executable and have a fairly conservative mod set.

Specs:

Windows 7 x64 Home Premium

8 GB RAM (and yes, I've run the 4 GB patch)

AMD Athlon II x2 Duo-Core 255 Processor @ 3.1 ghz

ATI Radeon HD 4850

I don't run with AA or anisotropic filtering because, for whatever reason, that likes to play crash-the-desktop with my game whenever I get into a fight. The funniest thing about this is that distant land works great (which is most often the bane of MGE's existence for other users, it would seem)

And the mod list (from the INI):

[Game Files]

GameFile0=Better Heads Bloodmoon addon.esm

GameFile1=Better Heads Tribunal addon.esm

GameFile2=Better Heads.esm

GameFile3=Bloodmoon.esm

GameFile4=GDR_MasterFile.esm

GameFile5=Morrowind Patch v1.6.4.esm

GameFile6=Morrowind.esm

GameFile7=TR_Data.esm

GameFile8=TR_Map1.esm

GameFile9=TR_Map2.esm

GameFile10=Texture Fix - Bloodmoon 1.1.esm

GameFile11=Texture Fix 2.0.esm

GameFile12=Tribunal.esm

GameFile13=Animated Morrowind 1.0.esp

GameFile14=Animated Morrowind II.esp

GameFile15=Animated_Morrowind - Expanded.esp

GameFile16=BT_Whitewolf_2_0.esp

GameFile17=Better Bodies.esp

GameFile18=Better Clothes_v1.1_nac.esp

GameFile19=Better Skulls.ESP

GameFile20=Bloated Caves.esp

GameFile21=CE-DepthPerception25.esp

GameFile22=Character Maker.esp

GameFile23=Creatures.esp

GameFile24=DB_Attack_Mod3.esp

GameFile25=DN-GDRv1.esp

GameFile26=ExpandedBirthsigns4Purists.esp

GameFile27=Fatigue Regen.esp

GameFile28=Flee AI Tweaks.esp

GameFile29=Gondoliers.esp

GameFile30=Graphic Herbalism.esp

GameFile31=Illuminated Order v1.0 - Bloodmoon Compatibility Extras.esp

GameFile32=Illuminated Order v1.0.esp

GameFile33=MDP Compilation.ESP

GameFile34=MR_Weapon Realism.ESP

GameFile35=Mashed Lists.esp

GameFile36=More Better Clothes.ESP

GameFile37=NEDE v1.2.esp

GameFile38=NX9_Guards_Complete.ESP

GameFile39=New Argonian Bodies - Clean.esp

GameFile40=New Khajiit Bodies - Clean.esp

GameFile41=Particle Arrow Replacer.esp

GameFile42=Spect Sorcery pt 1.esp

GameFile43=Texture Fix -TR -1.0.esp

GameFile44=The Imperial Legion Badge.esp

GameFile45=The Neverhalls.esp

GameFile46=Vurt's BC Tree Replacer II.ESP

GameFile47=Vurt's Leafy West Gash.ESP

GameFile48=WA_Signy_Signposts(!).ESP

GameFile49=WA_Signy_Signposts(!)_TR.ESP

GameFile50=Welcome to the Arena! v5.0 (normal).esp

GameFile51=Westly_Presents_BB_Almalexia_Add_on.esp

GameFile52=magicka regeneration(v.1.1).esp

GameFile53=sm_ForgottenHalls.esp

I'd post a screenie but I think it's a little redundant at this point. Any suggestions? I know I could just go back to 3.8.0b, and I probably will in the meantime, I just like rev 178's functionality much better. By the way, I believe I tried MGE XE on the original install and had the same issue, but I just reverted without much thought because I figured it's still buggy.

To be honest, when I was running the Morrowind GOTY, I had no problems. I think you may well be right about MGE and if you can, try not using those other "helper" programmes either.

Unfortunately I can't see anything that could be causing your problems otherwise. It may well be worth looking at your mod list again and see which ones rely on programmes such as Wyre Mash and so on then deleting those programmes - and of course Wyre Mash.

It could be that just this little thing helps get your game on track again, if not, try uninstalling the game, defrag then re-install it. It's also a good idea to restart after the defrag and if you have one run a registry checker before restart to clear any orphaned keys also do a disk clean-up to remove any short-cuts, or folder that have been left behind.

If you are a good way into the game, copy the save file fist and see if you can re-start on those saves from a fresh install, failing that I'm afraid you'll have to start afresh.

To be honest, when I was running the Morrowind GOTY, I had no problems. I think you may well be right about MGE and if you can, try not using those other "helper" programmes either.

Unfortunately I can't see anything that could be causing your problems otherwise. It may well be worth looking at your mod list again and see which ones rely on programmes such as Wyre Mash and so on then deleting those programmes - and of course Wyre Mash.

It could be that just this little thing helps get your game on track again, if not, try uninstalling the game, defrag then re-install it. It's also a good idea to restart after the defrag and if you have one run a registry checker before restart to clear any orphaned keys also do a disk clean-up to remove any short-cuts, or folder that have been left behind.

If you are a good way into the game, copy the save file fist and see if you can re-start on those saves from a fresh install, failing that I'm afraid you'll have to start afresh.

The MGE revision is the culprit. I changed the filenames on the two DLLs as a pseudo-uninstall and the textures returned. I know it isn't the fault of the helper utilities or Wrye Mash; as I said I had a working install before I essentially broke it by trying to remove a faulty mod (I believe it was Better Corprus Stalkers... kept giving me missing texture errors). Is it possible that it could be because of static settings (hence why all the surface textures are absent and yet the distant land works perfectly)?

Yeah, I had difficulty working MGE initially and ended up getting the DX9 download eventually... I'm not sure why I thought having DX10 and 11 would be sufficient, I didn't really think that through. Nevertheless, I can't blame that either. I tried the rev 178 on a clean install and the textures are present, so I suppose the answer lies in one of the mods I've installed -- my guess is it's one of the far-reaching texture replacement packs I've put in. Still, 3.8.0b works perfectly with my currently-modded version, and since a lot of the mods I've installed exist only in the Meshes and/or Textures folder, I can't say I'm too enthusiastic about running each mod individually to find the exact culprit -- especially since it could be the result of certain mods playing off one another. If it were mostly .esp's, it'd be different, but I'm not about to spend a day's worth of work trying to fix something because I just can't seem to leave well enough alone. Thanks for your suggestions, though.