Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Faceshifter

Everyone who has seen Monty Python and The Holy Grail remembers the dismembering (you see what I did?) of the Black Knight. I wish to recreate this effect in Oblivion in a hopefully simple manner.

My idea is to take Chorrol Town guard armor for example, and split the mesh into three NiStrips. One for the chest, and one for each arm. Then to create three meshes, one with the three pieces, one with two, and one with only the chest, by deleting a NiStrips

In the CS I then create three armors, with respectivily the meshes and equip it on the knight during the fight, resulting in loss of one arm at a time. I hope you can still follow.

Also split gauntlets (they could be merged with the armor for easy use) are required.

The legs will be more problematic, I suppose, because it requirs heavy modifying of the mesh.

I can work with NifSkope, to the point of a NiStrips. Beyond that, nodes and the like, I cannot work. That's why I apply to the forum, hopefully someone knows how to split NiStrips.

So I require a chestpiece, created from townguard armor (you could make your own, but that's not necessary), with removable arms, by deleting NiStrips-branches. You could also heavily modify it, and make a special mesh for each one, and a cool severed wound, but that's not really necessary. Although of course, making the "wound" flat is very nice, I only need to texture it then.

A gauntlet for each hand, or add them on the armor. Pick chainmail.

A one leg mesh made from a chainmail one.

If you create this from townguard, there's no need to texture, I can do that. But if you really desire to ...

So, anyone wants to help me out? ;)

Good luck with this - it's something that I'd like to see. :)

I toyed with this idea some time ago, and I was planning to simply make parts of the armour invisible to simulate missing limbs. If you can actually remove parts of the skeleton instead, that would be far more elegant.

For combat, I had him start with a claymore, which was swapped out with another claymore converted to one-hand use. I got stuck when it came to no-armed and one legged combat though. :/

I toyed with this idea some time ago, and I was planning to simply make parts of the armour invisible to simulate missing limbs. If you can actually remove parts of the skeleton instead, that would be far more elegant.

Remember to drop appropriate body parts as they are removed...

For combat, I had him start with a claymore, which was swapped out with another claymore converted to one-hand use. I got stuck when it came to no-armed and one legged combat though. :/

Maybe a modifed Deadly Reflex or martial arts animation?

...and do we get the voice-over ... "It's only a flesh wound!". If so, you'll need a voice actor or you hit a copyright problem trying to extract the original audio.

...and do we get the voice-over ... "It's only a flesh wound!". If so, you'll need a voice actor or you hit a copyright problem trying to extract the original audio.

Well, I have already extracted some dialogue from YouTube sources. I have created the conversation with God ("And don't apoligize!") and the conversation with the soldiers at the first castle ("It could be carried by an african swallow.").

I can indeed add The Black Knight's speech as well, but if I'd get copyright problems, I should leave it out. Of course, the quest would be 50% less cool then.

Any dialogue taken from the original is a potential copyright problem. If, however, you can find anyone on youtube QUOTING it, you can probably get away with it.

Any dialogue taken from the original is a potential copyright problem. If, however, you can find anyone on youtube QUOTING it, you can probably get away with it.

Might be worth asking for permission to use the original dialogue if you can trace the copyrights owners. It would be worth the effort, I think, and they can only say 'Ni!'

It's a mod I'd download anyhow :biggrin:

EDIT: Quoted dialogue would be just as much a copyright issue :thumbsup:

MORE: How about a companion that runs along behind you making galloping noises with a couple of coconut shells?

Edited by roquefort

I am creating a whole quest, starting with God speaking to you, teleporting to your Kingdom, getting fancy armor and helmet, meeting Patsy (your squire), talk about swallows, ... I have recently created the "Bring Out Your Dead" guy, and I am working on a fellow bringing a corpse, but the corpse claiming to be alive. I requested the armor in advance, so I shouldn't have to tally when at his part, soon to be made.

MORE: How about a companion that runs along behind you making galloping noises with a couple of coconut shells?

Yes and no. Patsy has the option: "Riding my horse", enabling and disabling the sound of clapping coconuts, when both of you are running. But you can enable/disable at will, because it can be annoying. I do not have an animation, though.

As companions, what is better then Sir Bedevere, Sir Lancelot the brave, Sir Galahad the pure, Sir Robin the not quite so brave as Lancelot and not to forget Sir Not-Apearing-In-This-Mod. (Note, he will be included, you just watch!)

As for the copyright. YouTube is stuffed with copies of other stuff, even the whole movie is on it, so why can't I use it! Of course, should John Cleese, or anyone else not approve, I would remove all sound taken from the movie, although I find it ridiculous, as over a million people have downloaded it illegally, no doubt. But I find Patsy's non voiced dialogue stupid in comparison to Bring Out Your Dead guy.

I think, it'd be so much more awesome if it had sound, think about Ni!, about the french soldiers, about the minstrels of Sir Robin, ...

Of course, I thought of voice actors, but "real" stuff is absolutely more fun, as nobody can pronounce "you must chop a treeeeee .. with a herring!" quite as good as in the movie. (Note, I am thinking about the wieldable Slaughterfish mod ;) )

I could make a release thread about this, and post screenshots, movies, concept art, pre-order bonuses, statues of the Monster of Aaaargh and the like, if you wish. I like discussing this with you guys ;)

And a to-do list! ooooh. I was thinking of personal adventures of the Knights, and that the player would be transported/formed into them each time. Imagine Lancelot's quest: Kill 20 wedding guest before continueing.

And I can't do all, and don't do it perfect, of course. A conversation between the player and two soldiers on a wall is too complicated, so it is a sound file, without lip synch, for example.

But I will add some side humour, not from the movie, but hopefully as funny and ridiculous as the movie.

But I keep on ranting, should I make a RelZ (cause that's what you call it) thread?

The problem with copyrighted material is that the copyright still applies regardless of how many folks may be getting the sound and video illegally. With this being said, most sites will refuse to host files that infringe on copyrights. I am pretty sure that a site that has been around and has as much support as TESNexus would always obey copyrights as they want to ensure all of their modders that their work will be respected as well as other media rights from other sources.

Think about it. How would you like to make this mod and have someone claim the credit for it a day later on another site? The same goes for those who created the movie.

The old adage just because you can doesn't mean you should applies here without question.