[WIP] Beyond Boulder Dome

rjhelms84

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it's difficult to say about a release date, but we're very close, and I'm personally working on this mod every single day, to get it finished. So are others.

The exteriors are undergoing a few final changes, so I'll have to wait and regenerate LOD (the view in the distance) again, before I make new screenshots.

Hey, if you need a dedicated Beta Tester, i'm willing to work on this with you.

i have a loooot of free time and with my hand being injured video games are about the only thing i can do without help. xD

i have been creeping this Mod/DLC(unlicensed) since the start and have been very interested. FYI i only have the virgin F:NV, i am too broke atm to afford DLC's.

Hey, if you need a dedicated Beta Tester, i'm willing to work on this with you.

i have a loooot of free time and with my hand being injured video games are about the only thing i can do without help. xD

i have been creeping this Mod/DLC(unlicensed) since the start and have been very interested. FYI i only have the virgin F:NV, i am too broke atm to afford DLC's.

Thanks mate, I'll get back to you if we need any more testers.

Hey, this mod looks fantastic! I just got through this whole thread, and I admit I was a little worried at first about a Good Guy Brotherhood and Bad Guy NCR. The recent videos really cleared up my concerns about that, as the motives of each group are definitely lore friendly. I hope that the mod follows the morally gray reality of the Fallout universe, rather than the Bethesda-esque visions of a solution to every problem (don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Bethesda fan, but F3 was very disappointing in its story compared to the previous Fallout titles).

I was wondering about how the added item balance will be. I play with FOOK and JE sawyer's mod, which enhance the difficulty of the main game a bit (makes it better balanced in my opinion). How does BBD stack up to those enhancements?

Finally, I have to add an idea I got watching that last video: a chimpanzee companion. Not any chimpanzee, mind you. A chimpanzee with a cybernetic head that allows a human brain to interact with the body. Perhaps the chimp could have a Steven Hawking style voice, or maybe a more advanced speech module (this is the future). A British accent comes to mind, an old professor type whose brain was extracted in London and shipped to Boulder Dome (or Denver for your next DLC) in the early 2070's as a research subject for an advanced neurology clinic (he had ALS, so his body was useless anyway). In the years before the war, he ended up being shipped to the Big MT, and the Think Tank decided to implant him in a chimp body (I haven't played OWB yet, so the exact character whose project our cyborg chimp was I cannot say). He escaped the facility, made his way across the wastes to Colorado... I haven't played BBD or BBDp2 yet, so I can't fill in that area, but somehow he ended up in a colony of chimpanzees, the only ones who would accept him.

However, he desires to see the world and find a companion who appreciates him as a full human being rather than an abominable circus act. I could see him wandering the Mojave with you, making observations based on your changes to that world. He could have a quest that finds him a hat, tie, and pipe + tobacco so that he feels more comfortable in his chimp body (I imagine a few characters in New Vegas and Freeside involved with this, a few new cells, and, of course, variable outcomes). Perhaps like one of the vanilla companions, after certain events he would ask to have a change in his life, rather that be transplanted into another body or by mutating his chimp body (neuro-degradation driving him insane and developing a sociopathic personality). Various sources, from the followers to Dr. Usnagi to BOS to the Sink could make modifications depending on your choices (ie android transplant, cybernetic human hands so that he can interact with the world, or growth mutations and implanted weapons so that the wastes will fear this pipe smoking, hat wearing chimp). Hell, I would design and write the whole thing. I would definitely need help with scripting and voice acting, but if that idea interests you, send me a PM. Maybe even as a mod to your mod.

Got a little carried away, but food for thought, eh?

@jk1464

Although I actually prefer Fallout 3 myself in terms of story, I've definitely gone the morally gray path here. Choosing a side, and deciding who is good and evil, will not be straight-forward.

In terms of weapon balance, I keep that in mind, so the player won't be bombarded with high stat items or anything like that. Not that it would really matter that much anyway, since the recommended level to start the mod is 20 and above, and by that time most players are pretty much millionaire, gun collectors.

If mods like those balance weapon stats, etc, then this mod won't be affected by that, unless there are patches made. This mod aims to gel well with the vanilla game, rather than secondary mods.

Personally I don't really use any mods. I liked the idea of JE Sawyer's mod, mainly due to the level cap of 30, but I prefer a level cap of 20, which logan's loophole trait gives me anyway.

Thanks for the companion idea, sounds cool, though I do get a lot of ideas thrown at me, so can't do them all, so looks like you'll have to learn 3d modelling, mate. :facepalm: