Oblivion Elder Scrolls Doesn't Start

Jalex69

You might try the free version of Gamebooster to close some of the background processes that take up RAM - It does restore them on command after you stop playing.

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5952

Thank You again. I keep nothing running in the background on my computer so I don't think that could be a problem but I will try that.

I will try to go through your instructions today sometime and install it again when I get time. I pretty much did that already but like a dummy, I forgot to restart before I installed it again.

Here's a tip that will help with your RAM issues;

Pick up a decent sized USB memory stick (8gb should be fine). Open the device's properties and click on the ReadyBoost tab. Select "dedicate this device to ReadyBoost". This will let your computer use this device like a secondary RAM (a bit of a simplified explanation). This should prevent CTDs after 1-2 hours of gameplay.

I run Win7 with 4gb RAM (Oblivion exe patched to use all 4gb), and noticed a significant performance boost with only a 4gb SDHC card dedicated to ReadyBoost. It also greatly improved stability, i play around 20 hours/week and get CTD'd once a month at most.

You might try the free version of Gamebooster to close some of the background processes that take up RAM - It does restore them on command after you stop playing.

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5952

HI bben46

Thanks for your help. I went through all your instructions carefully and ran your regcleaner and got the same results. Next I will clean it again and try to install on C:\Games\Oblivion like you said. I have the room, I just didn't want it there.

What is the UAC blocking mod in win 7 and Vista you wrote about? Could this be my problem?

I also have Dungeon Siege III that runs on my compaq and not my Asus. I think this might be for the same reason.

The compaq has 4 gigs of ram but I don't think it's ram problem as it ran on this computer before but I might have had XP on it when I played Oblivion before.

I like Win 7 but I have seen install problems before on other programs. I have written many programs with MS Visual Basic and it sometimes hard to get them running too.

I did some research and I now know what it does and is doesn't look like the problem.

I have been trying to install it on My K drive (K:\Oblivion) It's a 600mb partition on a 2 tarabyte drive.

Edited by Jalex69

Pick up a decent sized USB memory stick (8gb should be fine). Open the device's properties and click on the ReadyBoost tab. Select "dedicate this device to ReadyBoost". This will let your computer use this device like a secondary RAM (a bit of a simplified explanation). This should prevent CTDs after 1-2 hours of gameplay.

I run Win7 with 4gb RAM (Oblivion exe patched to use all 4gb), and noticed a significant performance boost with only a 4gb SDHC card dedicated to ReadyBoost. It also greatly improved stability, i play around 20 hours/week and get CTD'd once a month at most.

I would like to know if you think a 1 gig memory stick would help if I configure it before I install. If it works I will buy more Ram.

I think now I didn't loose Oblivion. It was installed and ran in XP and when I scrambled XP I installed Win 7 and that's how I lost it.

It is possible that Win 7 needs more memory to run it.

Will a 1gb stick help? Well, sure, but i don't think that's quite enough. You should be able to pick up a 4gb for around $10, an 8gb (i'd recommend) for $15.

I agree that the only long term solution is to upgrade your RAM, but even with more RAM using ReadyBoost is still a good idea. It will speed up your computer's all around performance. I'll try to give you a little better idea how it works; When you travel around in a game (as an example) your computer is loading everything you see, plus a lot more, into RAM so it has quick access to that info. When RAM is full, it will use the hard drive instead. The HD is considerably slower than RAM, so your performance lags way down if not crashes. ReadyBoost takes advantage of the fact that USB and SD memory are nearly as fast as RAM. It will use your USB device as a memory cache BETWEEN your RAM and the HD. This gives you the ability to load more data before experiencing lag. Keep in mind here that the game isn't the only thing using your RAM, so you currently have less than 1gb available. Adding 1 extra gig isn't going to help much with a game like Oblivion, especially if you want to use mods (more resources). From my experience, 8gb is the magic number. I have Oblivion patched to use 4gb RAM (the most any program can use with a 64bit OS), and saw a considerable performance boost after dedicating a 4 GB SDHC card to ReadyBoost, so the next day i bought a 16gb USB stick to add to it and saw no further benefit (although i still use it, somehow it makes me feel good to have a 20gb mem cache).

This is still a pretty simplified explanation, for more there is a helpful Wiki.

If you buy a drive bigger than 4gb, make sure you format it to exFAT, or you will only be able to use 4gb.

At your last update, you were reinstalling the game. Have you got vanilla Oblivion working?

The 2gb RAM min for Obilvion w/Win7 that someone mentioned above is news to me, but i have learned to trust that poster's advice. Could be a problem for you, as i doubt ReadyBoost will count toward this.

Sorry for the long post, blame it on the wine.

Edited by eric31415

Your RAM does look a little low for Win7. Don't forget that any background processes you are running will take up some of that RAM.

Here is a link to my complete uninstall/reinstall procedure located in the WIKI section of the Nexus. It has been used by thousands of people to fix reinstall problems.

http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Oblivion_reinstall_procedure

It allows you to preserve any saves and mods, or remove them completely - your choice.

Ok I still have the same problem after doing a complete clean-up and following your instructions.

I put in a 4gig memory stick and dedicated it to ReadyBoost and it still did not run after it was installed. I am going to get more Ram but I don't have it yet.

Is it possible that Oblivion only looks at the Windows System Ram? Because that was still showing 1 gig with the memory stick operating.

I really appreciate all your help with this.

600MB partition on a 1 TB drive? Please say that is a typo o_O . If you installed with disc, you may have SecureRom installed as well. SecureROM remover will, well...remove that. Other than trying to play with only 1gb of memory on a Win7 PC...

Yes, That was kind of what I thought too. I have been with computers since the old Commodore 64 days so I do know a little.

My hard drive is a Seagate 2 TB drive with 3 600Mb partitions. The Windows 7 system is installed on a 250 MB drive.

I will have to take it all off again now and I forgot about securerom so I will need to get that remover and use it too I suppose.

Where do I get that? I am going to order more Ram now so it will be a while before I try again.

I also have the new dungeon siege III game and it does the same thing and I know my system doesn't have enough ram for it either.

Thanks very much for the help

Here's another thing that is blowing me away. I have another Compaq that has Oblivion on it and it runs fine except for a little bit jerky at times. It only has 1 gig of Ram and is an Intel 2.8 gig single core processor. They all have ATI 9600 512 Mg or equivalent video cards.

Edited by Jalex69