Discussing the events of September 11th

MaidenUSA

I am not flaming but why does no one ever make threads like these about September 11th, 1973? :confused:, which is often called the first September 11th? More people suffered that day and for years afterwards. And I ask this as a NYCer who knew people who died.

I'd guess it's probably because many of us who actively post on internet forums weren't around in 1973 and there was no internet back then for people to make posts about it at the time, but there's nothing stopping anyone from starting a thread dedicated to the Chilean 9/11 now. If you feel that strongly about it why not be the one to do it? I'm sure some people would appreciate it.

I agree. I wasn't born until 1981, so I have no personal memory of the Chilean coup and the subsequent mass killings. I did however just finish reading an article about it, and I would agree it was a horrific event. The atrocities in Rwanda, the civil rights issues in China and sadly many more instances of suffering are certainly no more or less important then another. But like waxfruit, I'm a child of the digital generation, and fortunately for all the Internet provides a worldwide forum for people to discuss anything that they choose. I would also encourage you to begin a thread in you so desire.

The attacks on September 11th 2001 directly affected all of America in many ways, but that does not mean our suffering outweighs the suffering of anyone else. Perhaps it is simply America's prominence on the world stage that causes so much light to be shed on what happens here. And that is just an objective observation, not an arrogant presumption or a slight to the people of Chile. It would be something akin to me having a car accident; If I were to get into an accident, my family and perhaps some of my friends would know about it. But if Angelina Jolie were to get into an accident, everyone in the world would know about it. Does that mean my suffering is less valuable then hers? Of course not. But unfortunately that is the way our world works. But that doesn't mean it has to stay that way.

Edited by MaidenUSA

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not flaming but why does no one ever make threads like these about September 11th, 1973? :confused:, which is often called the first September 11th? More people suffered that day and for years afterwards. And I ask this as a NYCer who knew people who died.

I'd guess it's probably because many of us who actively post on internet forums weren't around in 1973 and there was no internet back then for people to make posts about it at the time, but there's nothing stopping anyone from starting a thread dedicated to the Chilean 9/11 now. If you feel that strongly about it why not be the one to do it? I'm sure some people would appreciate it.

I agree. I wasn't born until 1981, so I have no personal memory of the Chilean coup and the subsequent mass killings. I did however just finish reading an article about it, and I would agree it was a horrific event. The atrocities in Rwanda, the civil rights issues in China and sadly many more instances of suffering are certainly no more or less important then another. But like waxfruit, I'm a child of the digital generation, and fortunately for all the Internet provides a worldwide forum for people to discuss anything that they choose. I would also encourage you to begin a thread in you so desire.

The attacks on September 11th 2001 directly affected all of America in many ways, but that does not mean our suffering outweighs the suffering of anyone else. Perhaps it is simply America's prominence on the world stage that causes so much light to be shed on what happens here. And that is just an objective observation, not an arrogant presumption or a slight to the people of Chile. It would be something akin to me having a car accident; If I were to get into an accident, my family and perhaps some of my friends would know about it. But if Angelina Jolie were to get into an accident, everyone in the world would know about it. Does that mean my suffering is less valuable then hers? Of course not. But unfortunately that is the way our world works. But that doesn't mean it has to stay that way.

The Chilean 9/11 is especially important because we (the USA, CIA) are responsible for it, hence why I think it is important and relevant before all we talk about is our 9/11.

The Chilean 9/11 is especially important because we (the USA, CIA) are responsible for it, hence why I think it is important and relevant before all we talk about is our 9/11.

At the risk of opening a can of worms, my inherent curiosity compels me to ask- to what does your signature "I hate the State. " refer?

Edited by MaidenUSA

At the risk of opening a can of worms, my inherent curiosity compels me to ask- to what does your signature "I hate the State. " refer?

Can of worms? Not really as I am a libertarian, that should explain that.

Can of worms? Not really as I am a libertarian, that should explain that.

Probably a poor choice of words, my apologies. I meant it "tongue in cheek." "I hate the State" seems a rather bold statement, so naturally I was curious. I am an Independent, but I would have to say I know only a marginal amount about the Libertarian Party, other then their philosophy regarding personal freedom.

Edited by MaidenUSA

Well State with a capital S. I would like to see a return to federalist/state based principles.

That would require our politicians to actually HAVE some principles. I gave up on that hope quite a while ago. But, I wax off-topic. I'll shut up now. :D

Well, I'm sorry to say it, but it's getting a bit tiresome. Don't get me wrong, a lot of people who had nothing to do with anything, excet for livng their lives, died that day and it is, by all means, a tragedy.

On the other hand, it's a long time ago, and I find it to be a bit ironic that it's such a big fuss about 9/11 everywhere, yet noone really pays attention to the fact many more people die horrible deaths in certain parts of the word on daily basis or, for example, millions of people who died in WWII - noone really cares apart from "Wohoo, its a free day for some reason!" as it seems. Or, not too long ago, Japan, way, way more people died for no reason, and world already starts to forget as it seems.

Of course, this was an "attack" (or so it seems) but how does that make it more tragic than an earthquake or a car crash? Well, it doesn't.

I'm not trying to belittle the event, but no matter where are you from, and no matter whether you lost someone or not, you must see that this was made into a political agenda or even advertisement and that's what makes me a agitated everytime I hear about 9/11.

If you had a friend, relative or perhaps a nemesis in the towers or the planes on that day, remember them, maybe even light a candle for them, but I still believe you should just honor them by remembering they were in your life at one point, and just keep walking, rather than crying on one specific day. I lost quite a few people too, but that does not mean I will stop moving on and will mention it over and over to make people feel sorry for me.

Edited by elvinkun

We were out shopping and overheard someone in the queue saying that the Pentagon and New York had been bombed, smartphones were few and far between 10 years ago so very few had the means to actually find out what was going on. We went back to the car and switched the radio on and couldn't believe what we were hearing, we dashed home and switched the TV on.

Hello everyone.

With the 10th anniversary of September 11th approaching, I thought it might be a good idea to create a thread for all, no matter where you are from, to discuss the events of that day and how you feel. I myself remember it as clearly as if it were this morning. I did not know anyone who perished that day, but nevertheless as an American, as a human being, I was saddened by the loss of life and touched by the heroism of everyday people demonstrating extraordinary courage. I invite all of you to share whatever is on your mind about that day.

I realize it is a sensitive topic, and unnecessary contention and "flaming" will certainly not contribute to a healthy discussion. Please remember the three strikes rule when you post. I say this only as a member of the Nexus community, and hopefully we will all benefit from an honest and civil exchange.

People would have to be a lot older to remember that, I was alive but too young to understand or care. Also the by the time the attacks on the U.S happened we'd got 24 hour global news, events were being beamed live into peoples homes, watching something unfold live is very different to watching a recording that's just one item on the evening news.

@Stardusk

Highfive! Another libertarian!

On topic: I was six and in my home in San Diego, my mom was away on a business trip to New York and she was just about to enter the WTC when my dad called and told her to stay her hotel. No idea why or how. She did. Anyways hours later everything went to hell and she had to drive home with six of her colleagues because all the flights were grounded.

I asked my dad the other day how he knew. He said he didn't, it was just a bad feeling. I don't know what words to use to describe this.

I lost some friends too that day like everybody else. And while I think it is time we stop mourning about 9/11 I still think we should respect those who died and remember them. And strive to be all that we can be as a nation, for them. For ourselves.