Article from Xbox 360 Achievements

Deleted472477User

I found this on RPGCodex, and while they're generally pretty elitist over there, they do post links to articles I wouldn't find otherwise.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-9529-The-Elder-Scrolls-V--Skyrim-In-Depth-Hands-On-Preview-%E2%80%93-The-Long-Road-to-Falkreath.html

It's an interesting read. It has a few new (well, to me) details here and there, and most of the screenshots are same stuff, different day, but it's still interesting.

Shame the opening few seconds didn’t have the same wow factor that Oblivion’s did when you first hit the wild, but it more than made up for that as we got further into the demo.

Huh? Maybe I'm alone in this but I don't recall being particularly wowed at Oblivion when I first played it... Just particularly lost.

Having been an unsightly Orc at Gamescom, we though we’d opt for something a little less conventional this time – you know, because Orcs are conventional – and as such, opted to set ourselves up as an Argonian – you know, the reptilian looking creatures from The Elder Scrolls series.

You know, it's not unconventional if everyone else does exactly the same thing. :/

When it comes to levelling up your first job will be to assign a point to either your health, mana or stamina

Wait wait wait, *a* point, as in, just one? I hope that's a typo of some sort.

In our case, we were able to select the Overdraw perk – adding 20% damage to our archery attacks – as we were the correct level for that skill and it was first on the tree. However, Eagle Eye, which allows archers to zoom slightly before shooting an arrow, and the Critical Shot, which improves your chances of getting a critical shot, were both perks that required a level 30 in the archery skill… and of course, every perk that preceded it.

Archery perks! That's new info. Looks like there are random crits too in addition to sneak ones :/

It was a fruitful trip through the passage though, picking up some heavy armour – allowing us to quick equip it off another unfortunate sod’s corpse without faffing about in the inventory – along the way, as well as a book and some Iron Armour of Minor Illusion, which grants the wearer a 12% save on mana with illusion spells and stands out in the inventory screen with its blue glow.

Now that's interesting: You can equip new items at the same screen where you pick them up, apparently, and the Minor Illusion enchantment is an interesting alternative approach to just straight-out buffing your rank in that skill.

About an hour into the demo we reached Falkreath and it must be said, it was probably the most disappointing aspect of the hands-on, mainly because what we had come to was an ex-fort that acted more as a military town of sorts.

Now that's interesting: Isn't Falkreath the city built into the cliffs with Anvil-esque architecture?

Even after contributing to the locale’s economy by doing a spot of milling – basically just a series of button clicks at various places on the wood mill – the locals looked down on our reptilian warrior and treated him as an outsider.

Looks like we're not gonna get "fun" mini-games for the different jobs like I was expecting. Eh, it's not really a big loss. Who will actually spend hours working at the wood mill anyway?

We were offered a quest to join the Imperial Legion here though, so it’s not all doom and gloom.

:OOOOOO

There's more than 4 factions! Yay!

It’s a dungeon – or series of them – that is vastly different to the ones we’d previously encountered, with stone walkways, steep stone steps, an iconic glowing tree in the middle of one of its cylindrical chambers, huge steel doors and vampires blocking your progress.

Well, that's a bit of a relief to hear: I was afraid every last dungeon in the game would be a crypt of some kind like in Oblivion. This sounds just plain weird though: What's the deal with the glowing trees? This is absolutely baseless speculation, but maybe there's a Druid-esque group in the game? After all, the Greybeards teach that the dragon shouts are powered by Kynareth...

Pretty good preview.

Edited by Alcrin

That article seems to say that perks are split up into trees. Is that the way it is in Skyrim?

Also, thanks for posting the article.

Yup every skill has a perk tree and tree meaning you have couple paths to choose to go into. Its not something new its been done in a few games but its a great addition to TES

I found it somewhat interesting I like how they made the perk system require a level to use.. I heard somewhere that the demo most of the intro was not in it so I think the guy wasnt seeing everything anyway

Huh? There's all kinds of juicy info in here! Not boring at all, nyxalinth; thanks! I'm particularly fond if this:

Thankfully, because Skyrim is such a large location, Bethesda has rather neatly added “Cleared” tags to all locations you’ve visited in Skyrim that you’ve completely rinsed, something that also allows you to see whether you’ve got all that you really need from said location.

This is great news, because it removes the need to enter a cave and check the local map to see if it's clear, as I did in Oblivion...hundreds of times... :wacko:

I found this on RPGCodex, and while they're generally pretty elitist over there, they do post links to articles I wouldn't find otherwise.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-9529-The-Elder-Scrolls-V--Skyrim-In-Depth-Hands-On-Preview-%E2%80%93-The-Long-Road-to-Falkreath.html

It's an interesting read. It has a few new (well, to me) details here and there, and most of the screenshots are same stuff, different day, but it's still interesting.

I follow the Elder Scrolls on Facebook and any new info they put there, including reviews like this. It is a great article though.