Anyone here ever have a tumour and/or cancer?

SpellAndShield

I don't usually make threads like this but no one in my proximity understands what I am going through.

I am not whinging, I accept that life is unfair, which is fine but I would to know how other people dealt with cancerous tumours?

In a way I just see it as more bulls*** to deal with, like if you were driving and you get a flat tire or you run out of petrol. It's a weird feeling, because if I do get through it alive then it will be months or years dealing with bulls*** as life passes me by, otherwise, if I don't, well it won't matter either way. Either way, it is age creeping up on me. Live or die, I will have to go through lots of bs. Health stuff is always so annoying, especially when it is serious. Annoying in the sense that I was going to start a new job that I was looking forward to but I have no idea if I can now and then I ask myself if I get through this in the best possible way, how will I live my life differently? I guess I still don't have a clear picture of my thoughts and feelings.

How did you react or deal with your tumour or cancer? what were your thoughts? I'd be interested to hear. Cheers

A friend of mine I knew for a good while had cancer, she didn't specify it but apparently she had been recovering and such. According to her the only reason she didn't keel over was due to having to take care of her kids. Kinda breaks whats left of my heart when cancer is brought up, happens to the best and worst of people. I haven't been able to get a hold of her lately, something must have happened. Edited by Flintlockecole

I dealt with it by taking one step at a time, crossing bridges when I came to them. By not assuming that any particular scenario, such as death at one extreme or a complete cure at the other, was going to be the case. Certainly I did not let it stop me doing anything that I wanted to do, except in the immediate aftermath of my treatment. And yes, by going for the treatment. I had cervical cancer which is highly treatable if caught early enough, mine was only just caught in time. Sixteen years later I'm still here. I had surgery and radiotherapy - hence why I couldn't sit on a horse for a couple of weeks - kept my hair, but it didn't do my fertility situation much good.

Odd to see this post, I just had surgery two weeks ago for skin cancer. I had Basil Cell Carsonoma (think that's right) on my nose. I just had the stitch's pulled today. I guess it is payback for the days when I used to be a sun boy back in the seventies and was until the mid nineties. I used to be an active swimmer and learned early on to watch my skin, and I loved being in the water and the sun. I did use sun block, even then, but never did anything to enhance my tan, and never used a tanning bed. But I was a real nature boy and enjoyed it. For the most part, when not working in the summer, I was in my suit, or running shorts and that's it. Being Native American, this is the last thing I would have ever expected, but damn glad I caught it early. I do have a good chunk of my nose gone now, but...it will grow back and I will be ever vigilant from now on.

Now that I am older, my sun tan days are over and I will never be out on the water or the beach in a suit again, things change as one gets older and the slim body is not so slim anymore, but I'm glad I had those days and have no regrets. The Dermatologist told me that they are seeing many folks in my age bracket who had a similar life style, most of us being seventies boys and girls. But we didn't know any better back then and that's what we did.

catching it early and not being afraid to face it is everything, along with one's attitude. Once I was diagnosed with skin cancer, I went after it head on. I am recovering quite well. :thumbsup:

Odd to see this post, I just had surgery two weeks ago for skin cancer. I had Basil Cell Carsonoma (think that's right) on my nose. I just had the stitch's pulled today. I guess it is payback for the days when I used to be a sun boy back in the seventies and was until the mid nineties. I used to be an active swimmer and learned early on to watch my skin, and I loved being in the water and the sun. I did use sun block, even then, but never did anything to enhance my tan, and never used a tanning bed. But I was a real nature boy and enjoyed it. For the most part, when not working in the summer, I was in my suit, or running shorts and that's it. Being Native American, this is the last thing I would have ever expected, but damn glad I caught it early. I do have a good chunk of my nose gone now, but...it will grow back and I will be ever vigilant from now on.

Now that I am older, my sun tan days are over and I will never be out on the water or the beach in a suit again, things change as one gets older and the slim body is not so slim anymore, but I'm glad I had those days and have no regrets. The Dermatologist told me that they are seeing many folks in my age bracket who had a similar life style, most of us being seventies boys and girls. But we didn't know any better back then and that's what we did.

catching it early and not being afraid to face it is everything, along with one's attitude. Once I was diagnosed with skin cancer, I went after it head on. I am recovering quite well. :thumbsup:

That's good to hear; I assume you are in the US. Here in the UK, everything takes forever and I had to wait months even for a diagnosis.

<snip>

That's good to hear; I assume you are in the US. Here in the UK, everything takes forever and I had to wait months even for a diagnosis.

I know what you mean, I lost my dad 18 month ago to lung cancer. Due to some uncanny things they caught it early but with all the waiting around pushing things back a month here and a month there, forgetin to tell him that he has appointments lined up for him, and a hole bunch of stuff I'm sure your aware of, it spread to his liver and bowel. All because they didn't act quick enough. ( not that thay see it that way)

<snip>

I know what you mean, I lost my dad 18 month ago to lung cancer. Due to some uncanny things they caught it early but with all the waiting around pushing things back a month here and a month there, forgetin to tell him that he has appointments lined up for him, and a hole bunch of stuff I'm sure your aware of, it spread to his liver and bowel. All because they didn't act quick enough. ( not that thay see it that way)

I'm sorry to hear that, and it seems odd that the 'system' would take so long for such an illness. I was diagnosed mid July and had my surgery first week in September. I noticed this on my nose in January but didn't think anything of it at the time, thought it was just a pimple. None the less, from the time I was diagnosed to surgery was about six weeks. I went in that morning and went home that night with some damn good happy pills. As much as I hate to say it, our medical system here in the states is driven by money and maybe that is the difference. Every time I went in, the very first questions are about payment and not how you are feeling.

<snip>

I'm sorry to hear that, and it seems odd that the 'system' would take so long for such an illness. I was diagnosed mid July and had my surgery first week in September. I noticed this on my nose in January but didn't think anything of it at the time, thought it was just a pimple. None the less, from the time I was diagnosed to surgery was about six weeks. I went in that morning and went home that night with some damn good happy pills. As much as I hate to say it, our medical system here in the states is driven by money and maybe that is the difference. Every time I went in, the very first questions are about payment and not how you are feeling.

Of course. Medical service is a service like any other and profit driven motivation increases efficiency and speed of care.

<snip>

Lol happy pills are a welcome substitute for any pain :P i know what your talking about when i fell of a motorbike in Florida literally the very first question i was asked by a medical professional was "do you have insurance" followed by "for your sake, i hope so" lol the very first question i was asked was "are you alright" (eh, NO!) followed by "where the hell did yall come from man" ha But anyway back on topic, your quite right, money mends everything (within reason)