Can't Change Anything In My "Oblivion_Default" File

OneLonelyPickle

I need to change the value of bEnableBorderRegion from 1 to 0, so I can remove the border limitations and thus play the new mod I downloaded, but I cannot save after changes have been made. A popup appears saying, "Access is denied". I have administrator rights, if that may have been the problem. Thanks in advance.

Looks like you've installed Oblivion in the default path and using Windows 7 :)

UAC is blocking your edits, but you dont't need to edit the default.ini for that anyway, just make the edits to the oblivion.ini in your Documents\My Games\Oblivion folder.

But to avoid further Problems with modding, consider a reinstall to something like c:\games\oblivion, outside of "ProgramFiles".

BBen provideda nice guide for that right here on the nexus.

Ha, Fonger beat me :)

Lol so Windows 7 prohibits even admins from changing settings? What a load =.=

Reinstalling now, thanks guys p_p

EDIT: I'm also guessing that my saves are wiped on uninstallation / reinstallation?

Edited by OneLonelyPickle

Lol so Windows 7 prohibits even admins from changing settings? What a load =.=

Reinstalling now, thanks guys p_p

EDIT: I'm also guessing that my saves are wiped on uninstallation / reinstallation?

Nope -- the saves are still left in the My Documents\y Games\Oblivion folder and so should still be there unless you manually delete the folder - As is the Oblivion.ini file that you want t edit (you do not want to edit the Oblivion_default file that is in your installation folder)

• 3 weeks later...

I need to change the value of bEnableBorderRegion from 1 to 0, so I can remove the border limitations and thus play the new mod I downloaded, but I cannot save after changes have been made. A popup appears saying, "Access is denied". I have administrator rights, if that may have been the problem. Thanks in advance.

right-click the .ini file and go to properties, and untick read-only

Looks to me like UAC just saved you from a mistake. Editing the oblivion_default.ini is not what you want to do. Any edit there is not reversable - Unless you thought to back it up first. (most people don't think to do that) However, editing the Oblivion.ini in the documents \my games\Oblivion allows the oblivion_default.ini to be the back up - allowing it to reset the ini back to default when you have an ini problem.

The oblivion.ini is what the game uses. the oblivion_default.ini is used to build the oblivion.ini the first time you start the game. Then as an emergency backup - by deleting the oblivion.ini, the game will automatically read the oblivion_default.ini and use that to rebuild a new Oblivion.ini. If the default is changed, you will have no backup and may well have to reinstall the game to recover.

My suggestion is to make a back up of the default anyway. then make any edits on the oblivion.ini, and when you have an Oblivion.ini that works well on your computer, make a back up of that also.

This is not new with Win7. UAC was started with Vista - it is a security thing - a last defense to keep a virus from making changes to an important program. MS did make it overzealous though forcing every program into the same protection when it is not needed on things like games. Then changing the definition of administrator from a user who can do anything to a user who needs to tell the Windows that they want permission to do something first. You can still get that permission as an admin, but have to ask first. For each new program, and each time you update it. Luckily, they only apply UAC to the 'program files' folders leaving all the rest free of the UAC restrictions. So, by installing the game into any other folder, you will never be bothered by UAC, and UAC will continue to protect the files in the protected folders.