What the - happened?

RZ1029

There are several problems with this "Three Strike" idea.

The first one is, I don't care enough about the drivel spouted in the Debates section to want to read every or even some of the posts. I will look when I'm actually interested in a topic and think I might have something constructive to offer, or spend my precious time on anything more constructive, and there is plenty to do in the rest of the forums to keep myself busy any time I'm here.

Finding an actual debate that follows the rules of logic around here is like searching for a pony in a barn full of poo.

The second problem and by far the most problematic is the fact that, as posted, the idea of locking a thread after three reports can be abused.

Let me illustrate, PersonX posts a topic. ClanABC dislikes PersonX, so PersonA posts a snarky ad homonym, then PersonB goes off topic (by making a general comparison to the US Congress), and PersonC flames the thread with a reference to Hitler.

Thread is effectively derailed, locked and PersonX effective penalized by losing their voice through no fault of their own, and the moderating team chalks another reason up on the side of simply delete the damned debate forums altogether.

Why should I have to babysit you? If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen. If the kitchens on fire maybe we should just condemn the whole building.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hhhmmm.... so, folks assuaging their conscience is now self-serving, and should be considered a 'bad thing™"???? Ok......

Maybe an apology IS in order. I make mistakes and I apologize when I do. One thing I don't do is make it a public charade.

Then methinks you should get started, as this statement is just a bit offensive to the folks that come here and actually want to make this forum work.

Personally, I think I would drop over dead if I read a debate thread that actually DID stay on topic........ :D (yeah, I am more than just guilty of wandering off-topic....... might even consider me an instigator....... Ooops. Sorry 'bout that..... I can't promise to change though....)

Hhhmmm.... so, folks assuaging their conscience is now self-serving, and should be considered a 'bad thing™"???? Ok......

Maybe an apology IS in order. I make mistakes and I apologize when I do. One thing I don't do is make it a public charade.

Then methinks you should get started, as this statement is just a bit offensive to the folks that come here and actually want to make this forum work.

Personally, I think I would drop over dead if I read a debate thread that actually DID stay on topic........ :D (yeah, I am more than just guilty of wandering off-topic....... might even consider me an instigator....... Ooops. Sorry 'bout that..... I can't promise to change though....)

Okay, sorry for throwing a bucket of ice water on your game of naked Twister. You guys go back to patting one another on the back, confessing all and promising each other and the world that you will try and do better in the future. While in the mean time you continue to exhibit the same negative behaviors that prompted this discussion in the first place. Oh, the irony...

If you read this topic from start to finish you can pretty much identify the problems now.

Yep, the problems had already identifed themselves before I ever posted. I just had the bad manners to point it out.

and join the ranks of the 'problems'. Welcome to the club.

Yeah, like no one saw that coming. Check a little thing called 'Find my Content'. I haven't posted in a debate thread for over two months. I ain't the problem and there's no freak'n way I'm going to let you guys make me part of YOUR PROBLEMS.

YOU GUYS STARTED THIS MESS, YOU CLEAN IT UP.

I was done with debate thread stupidity two months ago and I walked away. WATCH as I do it again.

...But if we clean up the mess, all the mean people will come back to the debates forum that we managed to chase away, :ohdear:

Nah, I jest. But I do think that in order for things around here to improve, people will need to release their ill-will that they hold towards others in the sections. Otherwise people will just look for reasons to be snarky. Regardless of your perception of what the creation of this thread was actually about, the result of the thread is a bit of a healing process that will let us get the thread into shape again. Your posts seem to indicate that you want them back to the way they used to be, but yet you can't help but piss in our cheerios as we work our way towards that goal. I'm pretty sure nobody here begged you to come back. :happy:

Yeah, like no one saw that coming. Check a little thing called 'Find my Content'. I haven't posted in a debate thread for over two months. I ain't the problem and there's no freak'n way I'm going to let you guys make me part of YOUR PROBLEMS.

YOU GUYS STARTED THIS MESS, YOU CLEAN IT UP.

I was done with debate thread stupidity two months ago and I walked away. WATCH as I do it again.

Just came in to throw some gasoline on the fire? Please don't let the door hit you on the way out. :D