Should people without health insurance, etc. be allowed to die?

Deleted472477User

should the poor just be allowed to die?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming that all venues (finding a job/better paying job) churches/synagogues, friends and family, charity, etc have been exhausted, should the poor just be left to die?

• Yes, they obviously didn't do enough, and now it's their problem
    • Yes, they made mistakes somewhere, and should either dig themselves out or perish, and I expect the same of myself
    • No, it's inhumane and cruel
    • No, they're human beings, foolish mistakes and behavior aside
    • Yes and no, I'll explain below

The mother of my nephews girlfriend, who happens to be a long-time alcoholic ruptured her colon. She was in the hospital until they found out her insurance wouldn't pay for long term care. They sent her home. Is this the the fault of the insurance company, the hospital or the patient herself.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mother of my nephews girlfriend, who happens to be a long-time alcoholic ruptured her colon. She was in the hospital until they found out her insurance wouldn't pay for long term care. They sent her home. Is this the the fault of the insurance company, the hospital or the patient herself.

It's the system. If she didn't have insurance, the hospital would have sent her home as well. The only circumstances I can see where they would have actually kept her (if that was the best for her...) would be if she either had a Cadillac healthcare plan, or, UHC.

The question is not whose fault it is. It's why her misfortune should be paid for by others against their will.

For the same reason you fund the military and police departments against your will.

If you get robbed or shot, that is you misfortune that you couldn't protect yourself? Should society not pay for protection as a whole?

I am allowed to carry my own protection in my house, in my car, or even concealed on my person, so yes, to the extent that your analogy is apt at all.

"An armed society is a polite society."

But I digress.

Keeping public order and defending the country against foreign aggressors are much different propositions than providing charity on a nationwide scale.

I am allowed to carry my own protection in my house, in my car, or even concealed on my person, so yes, to the extent that your analogy is apt at all.

"An armed society is a polite society."

But I digress.

Keeping public order and defending the country against foreign aggressors are much different propositions than providing charity on a nationwide scale.

What about police then?

Why do we have to spend money to have police help others? We can hire our own security, or buy a pistol right?

Of course you can. Not sure what you're asking here. Why do I think it's OK to pay for public police and not public health care?

Police are for keeping public order in public spaces... and more importantly are run by localities. You can start another thread of if you want to talk about federal police :thumbsup:

If you are trying to somehow equate my body with some kind of state highway... well, the implications are pretty horrifying I think you'll agree.

If you honestly can't see how paying cops for law enforcement is different from the forced redistribution of wealth that a universal health care system requires..I guess I honestly don't know what else to tell you.

Of course you can. Not sure what you're asking here. Why do I think it's OK to pay for public police and not public health care?

Police are for keeping public order in public spaces... and more importantly are run by localities. You can start another thread of if you want to talk about federal police :thumbsup:

If you are trying to somehow equate my body with some kind of state highway... well, the implications are pretty horrifying I think you'll agree.

If you honestly can't see how paying cops for law enforcement is different from the forced redistribution of wealth that a universal health care system requires..I guess I honestly don't know what else to tell you.

You pay taxes so cops can protect you and others. You pay taxes so you and others will not die. Its really that simple.

Actually the comparison between police and UHC is quite valid, if you take into account that those that can't afford health insurance could easily spread nasty diseases all around without health care.

Also, how does a UHC system force redistribution of wealth? I have heard that said other places as well, but I have not seen solid, factual basis for that argument.