What are people entitled to?

kvnchrist

No one gives you rights. With morale comes responsability. You will have to take care for your cultural values, your common morale. You must follow certain rules in the "clan". Doing so makes you "accepted", gives you rights.

My 2 cents

If you must get accepted in your group to get rights, that means other men give you them.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one gives you rights. With morale comes responsability. You will have to take care for your cultural values, your common morale. You must follow certain rules in the "clan". Doing so makes you "accepted", gives you rights.

My 2 cents

If you must get accepted in your group to get rights, that means other men give you them.

I´ll give you that, but not in form of some founding fathers. We all give rights to each other.

What was someone saying about lawyers????!!!!!!!!! :hurr:

Think very carefully before you answer that one gentlemen (waves her copy of Blackstone)..... :devil:

(Note, that was meant to be humorous banter...)

Hehehe...srsly I know lawyers have a bad name (but some of us are quite nice really.)

Balagor and Greywaste, some excellent points.

people are in general or in nature are entiltled to nothing. In general / nature a man ( or woman, so i dont get called a sexist) must work to get what he wants or to achieve thier goals. no freebies. no handouts. "you reap what you sow".

in society people should recieve fair treatment and equality, bascilly everything in the Bill of Rights.

That's the sort of basic human rights some of us are talking about, the argument being that they are not Government given, they just...are there.

You don't have rights unless other people agree you have rights. Rights are not given to you at birth, they are decided upon by man.

I believe I have said it before, but I will say it again: The only rights we have naturally, are those that any other creature on the planet has. That is simply this: Do what you must to survive.

Beyond that, any rights we have were given to us by someone or a group of people in a position of authority. This is the way of the world. The interesting part here is that the laws of the land often interfere with that natural right in some way. For example: Many states in the united states do not allow you to use whatever means necessary to deal with an intruder in your home, be they armed or not. This is a direct violation of ones natural right to protect themselves and their offspring/family unit, but that is a subject for a different thread I do believe, since it could be elaborated on in so many ways.

Edited by Sepherose

I believe I have said it before, but I will say it again: The only rights we have naturally, are those that any other creature on the planet has. That is simply this: Do what you must to survive.

Beyond that, any rights we have were given to us by someone or a group of people in a position of authority. This is the way of the world. The interesting part here is that the laws of the land often interfere with that natural right in some way. For example: Many states in the united states do not allow you to use whatever means necessary to deal with an intruder in your home, be they armed or not. This is a direct violation of ones natural right to protect themselves and their offspring/family unit, but that is a subject for a different thread I do believe, since it could be elaborated on in so many ways.

Huh, you are right in that sense.

I will admit that I was wrong is saying there are no rights given to us by nature. We do have some given to us by nature, but it also depends on your definition of rights I suppose.

I still will say that most of what humans recognize as "rights" are given to us by man. Our instincts that developed from evolution is the only true "rights" given to you are birth. Once again though, I don't think anyone considers instincts rights anymore.

That's the sort of basic human rights some of us are talking about, the argument being that they are not Government given, they just...are there.

You don't have rights unless other people agree you have rights. Rights are not given to you at birth, they are decided upon by man.

:wallbash: If we accept that argument, we might as well all roll over and give up even trying to fight overbearing Government, since we would be accepting they can do whatever the heck they like and we have no cause or reason to fight them.

As Aurelius says, the ballot box, the jury box and in the last resort, the cartridge box. Even in laid back Britain we went so far as to cut off one King's head (and later boot his younger son out)due to his interference with what were perceived to be natural rights. Actually it was pretty ironic how the English Civil War was sparked by an instance of taxation without representation, just as the American Revolution later was.