Living a normal life in Skyrim?

MyNameIsAdam

Having played the last few Elder Scrolls games, I predict you will start the game as a prisoner locked in the hold of a Nordic ship. Bethesda seems to have a thing for starting us out in jail for some reason.

Not to be that guy, though I'm totally gonna.

Devs have already stated that you're being led to your execution at the start of the game. Seems to me you'll start off on foot. :thumbsup:

Whatever happened to good ole RPG standards like the son (or daughter) of the poor farming family who picks up the pitchfork to defend the village from some attackers and in turn is swept away into adventure? Or how about the good ole "you wake in a strange place and can't remember who you are" scenario? Hackneyed, sure. But starting every Elder Scrolls game as somebody's prisoner is getting a bit tired too IMHO. I truly believe that the devs have some sort of preoccupation with it.

We'll, doesnt matter how much we bi**h to bethesda why we have to be prisoners, they wont listen :(

I always wondered why you always have to be in jail at the start of the game, its as if they WANT you to be in Jail ;)

Edited by TheMysteriousTraveler

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever happened to good ole RPG standards like the son (or daughter) of the poor farming family who picks up the pitchfork to defend the village from some attackers and in turn is swept away into adventure? Or how about the good ole "you wake in a strange place and can't remember who you are" scenario? Hackneyed, sure. But starting every Elder Scrolls game as somebody's prisoner is getting a bit tired too IMHO. I truly believe that the devs have some sort of preoccupation with it.

2 things.

1. Even if they did do something different this time, people would get mad for breaking a TES tradition.

2. TES is pretty big on leaving the player character as a blank slate. A character who had a definite family with a definite heritage who has a definite tale of how their adventure started, is far from a blank slate. Sure being a prisoner isn't a perfect blank slate but amnesia sucks. I hate all amnesia stories on principle after seeing it horribly done so often.

Anyway I'm sure someone'll make a mod like Alternative Beginnings.

2 things.

1. Even if they did do something different this time, people would get mad for breaking a TES tradition.

2. TES is pretty big on leaving the player character as a blank slate. A character who had a definite family with a definite heritage who has a definite tale of how their adventure started, is far from a blank slate. Sure being a prisoner isn't a perfect blank slate but amnesia sucks. I hate all amnesia stories on principle after seeing it horribly done so often.

Anyway I'm sure someone'll make a mod like Alternative Beginnings.

This ^

Its the whole point of Beth games .. Blanks slates and make your own life and be who you want to be in a lore filled fantasy world .. I would be disappointed if they told me my background and who I was... Starting off in a prison is pure genius .. who knows why your there? you do of course :D

I get the whole "blank slate" concept; really, I do. But I've done some amateur creative writing myself; I know there has to be at least one other plot device that would allow a writer to accomplish that goal. We don't always have to be prisoners.

If only they had the sense to give BethesdaGS $75mill, think we would finally get the continent of Tamriel....

Skyrim's budget is well in excess of 100 million dollars. The entire continent at current scale and detail would take 20+ yrs and cost nearly a billion dollars.

We'll, doesnt matter how much we bi**h to bethesda why we have to be prisoners, they wont listen :(

I always wondered why you always have to be in jail at the start of the game, its as if they WANT you to be in Jail ;)

I'm certain because it's like a nostalgic reminder of the previous games. It's like Star Wars always opening in space. You see that space and know "Yeah, this is Star Wars."

You start off in prison; "Yeah this is an Elder Scrolls game."

Not to mention someone will mod the start anyway or your could just use your imagination and pretend it never happened. It's not like people keep referring to you as a prisoner after you leave the mandatory tutorial dungeon. (Which is actually strange... Shouldn't the Imperial guards be concerned about an escaped prisoner?)