SATA 6gb/s backward compatibility

From what I've read they should be backward compatible -- they use the same connectors and will just run at the speed of the connection they are plugged into - so when using a 6Gb\s HDD in a 3Gb\s MOBO you'll just get up to the 3Gb\s speed but it should work fine.

I had looked through several articles to figure out the same since I was replacing a dead HDD but wound up getting a 3Gb\s Samsung 1TB HDD for $49 shipped instead of the WD Caviar Black since it was about half the price and fast enough for this old system !

Edited by JDFan

Just ask the shop keep for a momentus HD, they'll probably be able to ship one in for you :thumbsup:

And same with the dealer thing, Especially when you have a Tigerdirect near by :thumbsup:

Edited by Thor.

ah I see, I ask them about momentus, but its more costly than a SSD :wacko: (of course I ask them again about OCZ vertex 3 but I wont tell anything here :ninja:

Now I have the WD FAEX and its actually have the jumper settings saying that 3gb/s for 6 and 7 pin, and I didnt even install it yet just because of that(wrong jumper setting). Please help :sad:

ah I see, I ask them about momentus, but its more costly than a SSD :wacko: (of course I ask them again about OCZ vertex 3 but I wont tell anything here :ninja:

Now I have the WD FAEX and its actually have the jumper settings saying that 3gb/s for 6 and 7 pin, and I didnt even install it yet just because of that(wrong jumper setting). Please help :sad:

Nope Costs you only 110$ if they charge the tax :teehee: for a 500gb ssd hybrid.Remember it has to be the one in the link :thumbsup:

Edited by Thor.

On WDC, jumpering pins 5 & 6 (i think not 6 & 7) cause the HDDs will be SATA II,(PHY or phsical layer 3 gb/s will be enable), another jumpered pins are 1 & 2 to enable SSC, and 3 & 4 to enable PUIS..

I have SATA III(seagate) on my P45 w/o any problems, but i didnt see any improvement of speed by using SATA III, since P45 doesnt support SATA III...

here is detail for installing jumper on WDC HDDs.