Can I do this with two mods? (Simple goal, long explanation)

miketheratguy

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to make sure you guys know what I mean when I talk about renaming the folder because I don't think I explained the order very well. I was having the issue with RMM (and I do fully believe it's my own fault, not the mod's- I'm just not sure what happened yet) before I ever tried messing with the folders. It gave me the error messages and missing meshes, so I tried all kinds of things- starting the game with the mod off and saving, disabling then deleting then reinstalling the mod, etc. It was through a lot of googling on the subject that someone in the past described a vaguely similar problem and asked for advice clearing his mods "completely". He was recommended to try temporarily renaming the data folder, copying vanilla files into a new data folder, and starting over from that. I did this, trying RMM in the new data folder, and the results were the same. Right after that I deleted the new data folder and gave the original its default name back. The whole renamed data folder was just a temporary one-off attempt at seeing if the CS would give me different results with RMM in it, which was after the problem had been going for a while.

As for RMM (I didn't notice that it was 7-Zip, as I open everything with winrar), I also believe that somehow Windows is keeping track of the change that was made to the mod. I just don't understand where (I didn't realize that it kept track of data for such things as these optional plugins). Alfred's response earlier suggests that it's pretty abnormal though, and that placing a new copy of the mod over the "ruined" one should revert the mod to its default state. I do believe that somehow I brought this on myself by not quite understanding which file to make active (since I was combining two) or if it was even possible, but I found no information specific to what I was trying to do so I figured I'd try myself. Then it crashed, which didn't seem to help things.

I have to head to work soon but I'm interested in looking more closely at your advice, Evenstar. Hickory, would you say that it's what I should try next?

Lastly, the linking / dragging thing. Really it was just a matter of me wanting to keep using Glenvar, but also have the interior of Red Rose somehow accessible from the same general area. That's why my initial plan was to copy and paste the interior of RRM into the interior of GC. That didn't work, nor did my attempt at placing a copy of the RMM exterior in the courtyard exterior of GC. That's when I said hell with it; I'll just drag the thing over and plop it down and see if that works. That's when the crash began all this trouble.

All I wanted from the getgo was Glenvar Castle, as is, but with RRM linked to it in some way. I had preferences but they steadily diminished as my failures mounted. I could get more specific in telling you what I attempted and how (because really, I would have been satisfied if my original interior-pasting idea worked and I still don't know why it didn't) but I already feel guilty about my total lack of brevity.

Edited by miketheratguy

Another way to ensure the loading of a bsa is to put the word oblivion- in the first part of the name of the bsa. This way everytime the Oblivion.esm loads, the bsa loads as well.

Are all the errors and missing nifs / meshes indicative of the bsa just not loading? Would that be the only reason that the exterior of the mod isn't showing up? If so, is there any way to know precisely what I did to disable the bsa?

Edited by miketheratguy

I think you need to get to the bottom of why loading RRM is causing the CS to throw up all of those errors, particularly after you have re-downloaded it and replaced the edited version with the default one. Does the same apply to Glenvar Castle? Do you still have an edited version in there? Have you re-downloaded Glenvar, too? You need to undo your errors before proceeding.

Another way to ensure the loading of a bsa is to put the word oblivion- in the first part of the name of the bsa. This way everytime the Oblivion.esm loads, the bsa loads as well.

Are all the errors and missing nifs / meshes indicative of the bsa just not loading? Would that be the only reason that the exterior of the mod isn't showing up? If so, is there any way to know precisely what I did to disable the bsa?

If you have re-downloaded and installed the original, the bsa name is not an issue.

I think you need to get to the bottom of why loading RRM is causing the CS to throw up all of those errors, particularly after you have re-downloaded it and replaced the edited version with the default one. Does the same apply to Glenvar Castle? Do you still have an edited version in there? Have you re-downloaded Glenvar, too? You need to undo your errors before proceeding.

Agreed. If I can get this issue weeded out, I feel fairly confident that the original thing I was trying to do was a simple error that I might be able to overcome with the advice of you and the others (and I really appreciate you being patient with me; I know this must be a hassle).

I see no errors whatsoever with Glenvar Castle. It worked fine when I play-tested the Red Rose issue, and it shows up as normal in the CS. Reliably, my disastrous changes seem tied to RRM.

As such I didn't think it would make a difference to reinstall GC, but I can go do that now if it might help. Should I do one but not the other, or are there any specific methods or things I should do before giving it a try?

Edited by miketheratguy

but I can go do that now if it might help. Should I do one but not the other, or are there any specific methods or things I should do before giving it a try?

My reasons for advising re-installing both is that I was not clear on whether you had actually edited either/or. If you have made no edits, including master dependencies, then it is just a precautionary step.

Here is a step to try before you go any further: quit the CS and delete your \Documents\My Games\Oblivion\ConstructionSet.ini . Now, reboot your computer and immediately clean out your %TEMP% folder. That will ensure that we are not dealing with clean-up/memory issues.

I suppose, because I was confused that none of my methods seemed to be working, that I may have at some point edited both even if unintentionally. I'll reinstall both now and see if any difference is made in the CS.

EDIT: Both installed clean, Glenvar first. Loaded RMM by itself, and sadly it's still messed up.

EDIT 2: I'm sorry; I didn't catch your last post. I think we were posting at roughly the same time. I'll do what you suggested.

Edited by miketheratguy

Sigh. Cleared the temp files and erased the ini; still the same. Shame, I was excited since the CS was back to its default small window setup so I thought everything would have reverted.