Do you use any social networks?

antonkr

Yeah...I read that they sell your info for like $100 or something. Like I said, never have and never will use any of those sites. I was just trying to convince my dad to get off of Facebook because of that very reason. He had no clue that they were doing that.

I used to use Myspace, because this hot girl came over sat in my lap, and signed me up for it. Then made me promise to use it.

That was.... 7 years ago? Don't use it anymore, but I use Facebook now more or less for the same reason. :sweat:

Edited by Syco21

Yeah...I read that they sell your info for like $100 or something. Like I said, never have and never will use any of those sites. I was just trying to convince my dad to get off of Facebook because of that very reason. He had no clue that they were doing that.

http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n510/Flintlockecole/1328597514240.jpg Pretty much sums up my I don't use social media like such.

http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n510/Flintlockecole/1328597514240.jpg Pretty much sums up my I don't use social media like such.

Indeed, so true.

I don't honestly even know why I have a facebook account. I may use it about a minute/3 months. The only thing I tend to use is that newfangled black berry messenger on one of those crazy cellular telecommunication devices :laugh: . I do not really agree with extended on-line interaction through social networks, especially at a young age because it is teaching the world to be a bunch of egotistical 'mirror shot' group of kids with sub-par literary abilities/ no incentive to further their skills (not to mention that a benchmark for a good computer is whether or not it can run facebook). Communication with a distant relative or friend is fine but I don't really see how people get home and sit there for the evening. I would think that playing a game, working on a mod, reading a book/article or hanging out with a friend would be a much better use of time. I am against it but I suppose it is a way to spend your time. On the other hand I am sure there are many people who think that making mods or understanding computer hardware is equally useless.

Oh man, oh man I disagree with Tom, but where to begin?

I don't honestly even know why I have a facebook account. I may use it about a minute/3 months.

Same, I only really use it for information and when I'm bored.

I do not really agree with extended on-line interaction through social networks

It's kind of hard to disagree with that.

especially at a young age

I only agree with this when coupled with the above, but nothing else.

because it is teaching the world to be a bunch of egotistical 'mirror shot' group of kids

I don't agree with this. The world has already been taught to be a bunch of egotistical, mirror shot kids as you put it. It's just that now it's all gathered in one place for the whole world to see. This is not social media's fault, it's media in general. The mirror shot is just the preferred method for people to express the horrible tendencies taught to them by other forms of media.

sub-par literary abilities/ no incentive to further their skills

I don't agree with this either, nor do linguistic experts.

(not to mention that a benchmark for a good computer is whether or not it can run facebook)

This I find to be irrelevant. The reason is that computers and computer experts have always been the minority. For the majority, what constituted a good computer has always been the barebones minimum for those of us that have much higher demands for their computers(gamers, programmers, artists etc). So the majority seeing a good computer as one that can 'run Facebook' is not really surprising, nor is it really new. Though I'm not really sure that is the benchmark used by most people. One subset, most definitely, most? I don't think so. It's probably movies or something.

Communication with a distant relative or friend is fine but I don't really see how people get home and sit there for the evening.

Because it's what they enjoy. There need not be any 'excuses,' they enjoy it and that's all that matters.

I would think that playing a game, working on a mod, reading a book/article or hanging out with a friend would be a much better use of time.

I disagree. For the reasons I mentioned above. But this time I'll go into a bit more detail. You see, you view gaming as a much more productive use of your time. My last girlfriend hated games, she saw it as a waste of time and thought she was too old(she is 33). She used to play games a lot when she was younger, but not so much anymore. Now she prefers to spend her time reading a book, or watching one of her favorite shows or spending time with friends and doing chores. She also likes to travel and just do nothing. Yeah, I guess she is old.:tongue:

But I digress, the point I am making is that what you and I see as a waste of time or great use of our time, others might not. It's all opinion and where this is concerned, with exception to extremes, there is no right or wrong opinion. I say extremes, because no matter what you're doing, if you're neglecting your personal responsibilities, you're almost definitely wasting your time.

I am against it but I suppose it is a way to spend your time. On the other hand I am sure there are many people who think that making mods or understanding computer hardware is equally useless.

Exactly. :happy:

Personally, I don't like using text speak or the ilk. Only time when I do so, is if I do not have a choice(space constraints) or when I am being silly.However, I do realize that, like all things, language evolves and whether I like the changes or not, I must accept that fact.

Edited by Syco21