deathclaws

minngarm

• 4 months later...

I played NV before FO3, and I've been playing FO3 for a month and a half now I think. It's amazing to me how much more balanced FO3 is. Deathclaws are too rapey in NV. In FO3, you might encounter one or two, but usually not until you're well able to handle them (unless you stumble into Old Olney or the wrong end of an Enclave party early on.)

• 2 weeks later...

I played NV before FO3, and I've been playing FO3 for a month and a half now I think. It's amazing to me how much more balanced FO3 is. Deathclaws are too rapey in NV. In FO3, you might encounter one or two, but usually not until you're well able to handle them (unless you stumble into Old Olney or the wrong end of an Enclave party early on.)

FO3 balanced?! o_0

3 mobs in particular spring to mind...

Feral Ghoul Reavers, Super Mutant Overlords and Albino Radscorpions... :P

3 mobs in particular spring to mind...

Feral Ghoul Reavers, Super Mutant Overlords and Albino Radscorpions... :tongue:

Yeah, which are 3 NPC's that keep the game challenging on level 30, instead of the cakewalk that NV is at level 50.

All they are, are ammo sinks!

I shoot them with the strongest weapons (fully repaired) and SEVERAL rounds of ammo and they lost less then 25% health!

That's not challenging, that's annoying... :\

How can anyone like that?! o_0

I'm not using ammo cheats. So my ammo is limited...

I could maybe deal with one but not around every corner... :sad:

I don't know how you can not have thousands of rounds by the time you reach the level where reavers and overlords show up. Also your assertion that they're around every corner is a massive exaggeration. Regardless, I don't know how you can accept that Deathclaws at level one in New Vegas are ok, but Overlords and Reavers at level 12 or whatever is unfair. There's nothing to a Deathclaw except high attack and high armor, the same as an overlord or reaver. The only difference is a deathclaw is as fast as a reaver and can jump.

In any case, there's a strategy for everything. Two darts in the Reavers legs slow him down then it's a matter of staying close enough he won't throw his radiation muck at you and far enough he won't claw you to death and they go down easily enough with a combat shotgun or a plasma. Firing at an overlord's arm so he drops his weapon or knocking him down with the guasse rifle works just fine as well.

I don't know how you can not have thousands of rounds by the time you reach the level where reavers and overlords show up. Also your assertion that they're around every corner is a massive exaggeration. Regardless, I don't know how you can accept that Deathclaws at level one in New Vegas are ok, but Overlords and Reavers at level 12 or whatever is unfair. There's nothing to a Deathclaw except high attack and high armor, the same as an overlord or reaver. The only difference is a deathclaw is as fast as a reaver and can jump.

In any case, there's a strategy for everything. Two darts in the Reavers legs slow him down then it's a matter of staying close enough he won't throw his radiation muck at you and far enough he won't claw you to death and they go down easily enough with a combat shotgun or a plasma. Firing at an overlord's arm so he drops his weapon or knocking him down with the guasse rifle works just fine as well.

Well there will be a Reaver or Overlord in every group of Feral's or Super mutants after about level 15-20.

Thus they lower my ammo a lot..

The deathclaws stick to certain areas and I found Deathclaws in NV to be much easier to take down then a Reaver or Overlord in FO3...

I tried your tactic, problem is Reavers are found in confined places with little room to move back.

One place (the presidential subway) spawns 2 Reavers who take almost all of my ammo to take down...

Even with the broken OP companion Fawkes aswell... :\

Overlords even get a damage boost with tri-beam lasers.

Which they can just pick back up if knocked out of their hands...

Deathclaws can't always fit through the same doorways you can... XD

Edited by Danny159

Well there will be a Reaver or Overlord in every group of Feral's or Super mutants after about level 15-20.

Thus they lower my ammo a lot..

The deathclaws stick to certain areas and I found Deathclaws in NV to be much easier to take down then a Reaver or Overlord in FO3...

I tried your tactic, problem is Reavers are found in confined places with little room to move back.

One place (the presidential subway) spawns 2 Reavers who take almost all of my ammo to take down...

Even with the broken OP companion Fawkes aswell... :\

Overlords even get a damage boost with tri-beam lasers.

Which they can just pick back up if knocked out of their hands...

Deathclaws can't always fit through the same doorways you can... XD

Where did you encounter a doorway in the Mohave to keep the deathclaws from following you exactly?

You don't have to keep backing up away from the Reavers, you can just circle around them. I took several down in the sewer. I forget which one, but it was loaded with them. The presidential tunnel you can at least enlist the help of the sentry bots if you do it correctly.

And yes, the Overlords will pick their weapon back up. Just shoot their arms and they drop it again.

With the right combination of perks you can take them down in one VATS session. Alien Pulverizer with Action Boy, Finesse, Sniper, Gunslinger, and Grim Reaper and you're practically invincible. You get 9 head shots with the Pulverizer before running out of AP and they're ash most of the time.