What is more important, Justice or Mercy?

marharth

21 members have voted

1. 1. Justice or Mercy?

• Justice
    • Mercy
    • Other (I will explain in the topic)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cost of being found guilty should be set by the victim or the surviving relatives. This, I think would cause many perpetrators to rethink illegal activities.

An interesting thought, but somehow, I think the death penalty for stealing someones car might be a bit harsh. :D Although, were it my car, I might revise my opinion.....

The cost of being found guilty should be set by the victim or the surviving relatives. This, I think would cause many perpetrators to rethink illegal activities.

An interesting thought, but somehow, I think the death penalty for stealing someones car might be a bit harsh. :D Although, were it my car, I might revise my opinion.....

You have a point there. lol

This is Sharia law. However I agree a little with you and also @HeyYou. Perhaps death penaltie would be too harsh for stealing a car. But I support it to some extend in cases of economical crime, where the smart one ruins thousands of average hard working people. And walks away due to good lawyers. This is very unjust, and mercy is out of the question here.

This is Sharia law. However I agree a little with you and also @HeyYou. Perhaps death penaltie would be too harsh for stealing a car. But I support it to some extend in cases of economical crime, where the smart one ruins thousands of average hard working people. And walks away due to good lawyers. This is very unjust, and mercy is out of the question here.

This is not Sharia law. Give me a break. I didn't mean that they could pick any penalty, The law should have a set guidelines for what a person should get. It is the victims that should have a say so in how much leniency the court should impose. If any. This would be true justice.

This is not Sharia law. Give me a break. I didn't mean that they could pick any penalty, The law should have a set guidelines for what a person should get. It is the victims that should have a say so in how much leniency the court should impose. If any. This would be true justice.

That strikes me more as court sanctioned revenge than justice. The two are drastically different.

I agree with this. Just looking at the court cases in my home county, 99% of the time, the criminals plea bargain down to a DRASTICALLY reduced charge. This isn't justice by any stretch of the imagination, and is basically a slap in the face to the victims of the crime. My girlfriend was assaulted, she racked up over 15,000 dollars in medical costs, and was permanently damaged, and her ability to work compromised. What did the perp get? One year probation. That's it. No restitution, nothing.