The Death Penalty

marharth

Support or not?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the death penalty being legal?

I think the death penalty should be abolished, and to replace it, prisoners who commit murder and other acts of unauthorized life-taking (with the exception of manslaughter) should be forced to remain in prison for the rest of their lives, whether they're 10 years old or 95. The prisoners should be given three meals a day, two showers a day and some time outside, but nothing else.

Before people go on about the 10 years old part, I do not recall this discussion being about the United States only. In the UK, you can be tried in a court of law and even sentenced to prison from the age of 10. I personally believe it's stupid for some places to deem 18 as being the age of legal responsibility, but that's another discussion.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. There's a saying that begs forgiveness, and those who act on revenge only become monsters themselves.

Ideals seem always to come from those with the least amount of experience in the matter discussed. That's why they are called ideals and why so many of them are found in bathrooms, where they belong.

Try telling that to a father that just lost his entire family so two degenerates can get their dicks wet.

You can mock my experience all you want, but if you find it morally correct to kill another human being (who, for all you know, maybe suffering from a psychological disorder) then you might as well tell me that revenge is the answer for everything. It isn't. There are better ways to handle a situation, and this is certainly not the right one.

second off, i dont believe in the death penalty because i believe in our government. i believe in the death penalty based on my own beliefs. if you kill someone, you deserve to be killed.

That is a legit position, but you want the punishment carried out without having to get your own hands dirty. You want big bro to do your dirty work for you, or to at least somehow become a sort of buffer between yourself and the execution so that you can feel like you are not involved in it.

If someone has wronged you so badly that they deserve to die for it, you should do the deed yourself and then take your medicine (which by your own reasoning would mean you deserve to die yourself).

Anything less is passing the responsibility on to someone else, which is something I despise.

absolutely not. it is not my position to take justice in my own hands. that is why we have law enforcement. if ive been wronged in some way you best believe i would go to the authorities. but no way am i about to go Rambo and search for the guy. the only way i would kill someone is if they broke into my house.

but to say i should go on a vengeance spree, then.. lol idk what else to say to that, im sorry

I think the death penalty should be abolished, and to replace it, prisoners who commit murder and other acts of unauthorized life-taking (with the exception of manslaughter) should be forced to remain in prison for the rest of their lives, whether they're 10 years old or 95. The prisoners should be given three meals a day, two showers a day and some time outside, but nothing else.

Before people go on about the 10 years old part, I do not recall this discussion being about the United States only. In the UK, you can be tried in a court of law and even sentenced to prison from the age of 10. I personally believe it's stupid for some places to deem 18 as being the age of legal responsibility, but that's another discussion.

i agree that age shouldnt factor into it. even kids know killing is wrong. i disagree on your prison sentence. over here, i think the kid should be imprisoned until he can be tried as an adult. no killing kids. but then once hes of age, well if death is his punishment then thats how it is. but you still think that someone should live comfortably in a cell with 3 meals a day TWO showers a day (hell i only take one a day) AND exercise time, outside? sounds like a vacation for killing someone.

. There's a saying that begs forgiveness, and those who act on revenge only become monsters themselves.

Ideals seem always to come from those with the least amount of experience in the matter discussed. That's why they are called ideals and why so many of them are found in bathrooms, where they belong.

Try telling that to a father that just lost his entire family so two degenerates can get their dicks wet.

You can mock my experience all you want, but if you find it morally correct to kill another human being (who, for all you know, maybe suffering from a psychological disorder) then you might as well tell me that revenge is the answer for everything. It isn't. There are better ways to handle a situation, and this is certainly not the right one.

so what you think someone with a "psychology disorder" doesnt know killing is wrong like he didnt know what he was doing? you think thats an excuse? this is what i hate most about our judicial system. you kill someone, or 10 someones, say your messed up and you get a slap on the wrist. whether or not you really are crazy messed up or what have you, you still killed someone. plain and simple. there are no ifs ands buts or maybes.

Edited by hoofhearted4

absolutely not. it is not my position to take justice in my own hands. that is why we have law enforcement. if ive been wronged in some way you best believe i would go to the authorities. but no way am i about to go Rambo and search for the guy. the only way i would kill someone is if they broke into my house.

but to say i should go on a vengeance spree, then.. lol idk what else to say to that, im sorry

. plain and simple. there are no ifs ands buts or maybes.

That's pretty much what I said. You want someone dead but you don't feel strongly enough about it to take care of it yourself, or you don't want to face the consequences of your actions.

Why would you expect someone else to do something you're not willing to do yourself?

@hoofhearted4

I don't know where you saw "oh, hey, let them off with a free get out of jail card" in there, but I never said that they should be released back into society. For one thing, that puts them at risk of hurting themselves and hurting others. And someone with a physiological disorder that doesn't know their rights from wrongs, and you wanting to put them to the sword because of it; shows how heartless and lacking of mercy you are. That's like punishing an innocent infant because they haven't learned how to behave yet. Except, from your extremes, we would now be calling it child abuse.

It may not be excuse to set them free, but it sure as hell isn't an excuse to put them to death. At least we can try and help them and ease their suffering. At least the families are compensated, but what about the psychopaths themselves? Sure, lets slaughter them all. That's always the answer for everything, because people don't have the compassion to:

A. Forgive.

B. Help those in need because they're too busy worrying about themselves, which, for the most part, is nothing to get worked up over at all.

and C. Re frame from impulsive "kill them! kill them" remarks.

Also tie in the fact that this may be a psychopath, but the case they are connected to has nothing to do with them whatsoever (in other words, falsely convicted), and you've pretty much done it. Not only did you kill a human being (which, you claim is wrong, but hey...you're voting for this person to be killed anyway), but you've also just killed an innocent person and let the real killer get away. Too bad all of this bloodshed could have been avoided....

because i know right from wrong and would leave it to the government to capture someone and not go and kill them myself is your defense on why i can be for the death penalty? because i dont believe in the death penalty enough to go kill someone and go through it myself? ur not making logical sense. someone killed my mother, and they cought him, and his sentence was death, and i was allowed to push the button so to say, damn straight i would.

on that note, the death penalty is also a scare tactic. if ppl know the consequence is death, they are less likely to perform the action in question.

and as i said. psychopath or not, idrc. the moment you start giving lenience to some over others is when wars break out. im not saying kill ppl BECAUSE they are mental, im saying kill a mental person if he kills someone else. just the same if they arent mental, or if they are black white or green, male or female, old or young.

what do u do to a dog when it attacks someone? without hesitation its put down. whether or not it killed someone. but if a human kills someone, we dont do the same. we pity that person because hes confused. sure we feel bad for the victim, but its the killer who is really suffering here, he needs the real help. he only killed as a cry for help, but how can we help him if hes on death row.

That's pretty much what I said. You want someone dead but you don't feel strongly enough about it to take care of it yourself, or you don't want to face the consequences of your actions.

Why would you expect someone else to do something you're not willing to do yourself?

Ok, pick a side here. Who is doing the killing? And why are they doing it? Is it the courts? The Jury? The government? Personally, I would have zero issues killing a killer. None. Nada. Zilch. You wanna take an innocent life? Fine, I will have no trouble taking your worthless one. And I will sleep just fine. ThankYouVeryMuch.

So, if someone believes in the death penalty, but, won't just go out, find the guilty party, and whack 'em dead, that makes them a coward? Seriously? Where do you come up with this stuff at? That's why we HAVE a legal system. Or, would you be another advocate of going to back to 1800's justice system? When whomever shot first, (and made it count) was the winner?

Ok, pick a side here. Who is doing the killing? And why are they doing it? Is it the courts? The Jury? The government? Personally, I would have zero issues killing a killer. None. Nada. Zilch. You wanna take an innocent life? Fine, I will have no trouble taking your worthless one. And I will sleep just fine. ThankYouVeryMuch.

So, if someone believes in the death penalty, but, won't just go out, find the guilty party, and whack 'em dead, that makes them a coward? Seriously? Where do you come up with this stuff at? That's why we HAVE a legal system. Or, would you be another advocate of going to back to 1800's justice system? When whomever shot first, (and made it count) was the winner?

^ this. perfectly said.

I never said anything about being a vigilante, per se. I just said that if you don't, then you don't feel that strongly about the death penalty. And if you don't feel that strongly about it, it's hard to justify it in any other way.