Am I the only one patient enough to do this?

Deleted1572091User

So, when Skyrim was first announced, I, like many, thought using a Nord as my first character would be the right way to go. Part of me still thinks so. But as new details have emerged (especially the looks of the different races) I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not sure what race or playstyle I'd really want to use first. So my, perhaps drastic, solution to this problem? When I get the game, make 1 character of each race.

Now, I don't just mean quickly make a character from each race, then just figure out which one looked best and go with it. It goes a little bit more detailed than that. I basically just drew up a chart with a few details for each of these 10 characters, generally kind of adhering to the race "stereotype." For example, my Imperial will focus on sword and shield with heavy armor. My Nord will be burly to the max and use heavy armor with a 2-handed weapon (most likely an axe). Since Khajiiti are the only ones with special claw attacks, I thought it fitting such a character should stick with hand-to-hand (and light armor). Breton, Dunmer and Altmer would be the magic users, though each a bit different (Dunmer with sword, Altmer with staff...). From those basic fighting styles, it's easy to then conclude that my Bosmer and Khajiit would be stealth, the magic users magic (duh?), and the rest warrior types.

I haven't really figured which of them would be good and which evil, or any kind of in between. Granted, this is not to say I would forbid any character from using things outside their focus. For example, an Imperial would be fine swapping his shield to a healing spell between fights. Just they would *mainly* use those things. Being something of a text RPer, I'll probably make up some simple little personalities and backstories for each. This would likely influence how good/evil that character is, and also how the character looked (young, old, scarred, etc.).

Anyway, that's mostly pre-game preparation, which most folks have probably done to varying degrees. But, rather than picking a character at gameday, then trying all the different playstyles with that one character to figure out what suits me, I'd actually play a fair amount (15-30 minutes?) with ALL TEN of my characters. Only after that would I actually decide on a character to continue through the rest of the game. Granted, though I said all ten, it's possible I'd skip one or two that just ended up not seeming too interesting. Breton seems a prime candidate atm (sorry Breton lovers).

Anywho, just wondering if anyone else is doing something at all similar (albeit maybe with less stereotypical matchups), or are you guys gonna be too stoked to replay anything? I can definitely understand that. But I figure, if I'm gonna be spending 200+ hours in this game (and I will), I'd better make sure to start off on the right foot.

Edit: And if you are doing anything like this, feel free to describe some of your potential characters.

Edited by Guest

Interesting that you initially wanted to play a nord like many others...

I myself had no such thoughts. figured a wood elf or dark elf would be nice.

Morrowind probally had the same thing with crowds initially playing dark elfs first "just to fit in" or whatever. The dialog varies slightly if not a dark elf "Oh my god! Your the nerevarine but your not a dark elf? what is up with that?!"

I imagine some will wonder how a person, fully appearing as a dark elf, would have inherited dragon shouts when the first dovakiins were nords(at least from my understanding)

In oblivion, I dont think anyone gave two cents what race you were,.. besides Dreth.

My character will be a dark elven battle summoner. Her father, or more likely her grandfather was Marten septon and her mother/and grandmother were dark elfs.... dont ask.

Will practice two handers, destruction, conjuration, alchemy, enchanting.

and dabble in everything else.

I find this kind of character gives me options, both inside combat and out. In combat, using my summons I can pull back and re-access my situation and apply my strength where its needed. I'll have both melee and ranged cabilities, and traps with the combination of two handers and destruction... and alchemy enhances my survival on all fronts.

Hopefully the new system lets me do at least that many main skills without pain.

Edit: I suppose one handed would work better actually.. I am guessing two hander wont allow me to cast as oblivion two handers did.

Edited by El`derina

Yea, I guess I just haven't bothered much to be creative thus far. I began with Oblivion (horror of horrors, I know...) a mere two years ago. Technically I did play Morrowind first, but only for an hour at a friend's. At the time I felt "This is just too big. I like a big game, but you could spend forever in a game like this!" Couple years back, I noticed (not for the first time) that my roomie had Oblivion. Didn't know much about it, other than that it was related to Morrowind. But I was bored and decided to give it a shot. Needless to say, I was horrified at how ugly the people were, but I ended up loving the game despite that. Mostly on account of how ugly "normal" people were, I chose an Argonian, and had fun for 30+ hours. Until I got the game for myself for PC, after discovering TESNexus. At that time, I decided I just wanted to be "human" and Imperial was the most normal, so I picked that. Just coincidence that they were the race of Cyrodiil.

Once I finished Oblivion and started on Morrowind (best $5 I ever spent on Steam, or anywhere else for that matter), I picked a Dunmer. I knew Morrowind was their land, and had been somewhat eagerly anticipating exploring it (somehow feeling great nostalgia for a game I'd barely touched and didn't like before). So getting in the mood for Dunmer lore and what not I wanted to feel it firsthand so to speak.

Coincidentally, when Skyrim was announced, I had just finished the Bloodmoon expansion of Morrowind. Therefore I had a much better feeling of Nordic culture (in Oblivion Nords were just extra ugly humans that sounded like Orcs o_0), and also I was learning about Anglo Saxon culture in my British Lit class. So I was more than primed to be the next Beowulf. And it's still a strict possibility, seems the best "human" choice this time. But it's almost equally likely at this point I may just be a Dunmer again. Why? I just like Dunmer. Plus I'm rather interested in using magic, and a Dunmer would suit that better (for the characters I've planned).

At any rate... I've really never actually taken RPing into much account in TES thus far. Mainly just made characters to do what I wanted, and get to be the strongest in the land. This time, I do want to try and have a little backstory and personality attached, just to make things a little more interesting.

Incidentally... My chart I mentioned is mostly complete. Except for Argonian, which is completely blank... I really have no idea what sort of combat style suits an Argonian. I wanted to just forget using hands and bite stuff, but I don't think that's an option. Thoughts? >_>;;

argonions strike me as gurilla tactics type people,... light armor, fast weapons, im not sure about magic, and what kind....

according to "Armorers Challenge" they make excellent smiths :)

(or just smart/lucky ones...)

EDIT: Oblivion wasn't a bad game... it wasn't what it should have been, but it wasn't a bad game. Not really deserving of 'Horror of Horrors', wherever you picked that up from, lol

Edited by El`derina

No, I will stick to my first character for a while, a Khajiit mage.

I don't have the patience to create 10 detailed characters at once.

I'm usually spending 150+ hours with each of my characters, and creating 10 at once just wouldn't feel right, I would have a strange feeling that I'm putting time into one and not into others.

Ah, no, like I said, I loved Oblvion. I couldn't really say which one I liked more overall, both had pros and cons. Skyrim looks to be most of the pros, and few of the cons, plus extra. The "Horror of horrors" is just what I imagine a lot of Morrowind fans would think. Ones like my best friend, who started with Morrowind, actually owns Oblivion, but never got past the sewers in Oblivion. Something about "it just wasn't Morrowind." I played in reverse order, so I can't really relate.

Oh, and just to clarify, I wouldn't actually be playing 10 characters at once. Just *testing* each for a small bit to figure out what I actually wanted to play.

I was actually having an internal struggle two weeks ago when I came across this dilemma. I always played ranged characters in Oblivion, right after the first bow you pick up in the sewers. I basically forgot all about the other combat styles. Then I discussed with my friend and he always played melee characters, but we basically both like stealth. I tried out the melee for a while and found out that I liked the small and quick daggers. Because then I could still be stealthy without getting too much NPC contact. Let's face it. I love the fact that you can slaughter 5+ enemies with some simple sneaking steps and a few arrows, and don't have to engage the fight and pick who you will slaughter first. If you get my drift. So after that I wanted to try out the Mage Guild and that basically got me hooked with magic, so I had my magic phase for a while. But after all I will most likely be a ranged character in Skyrim.

Skyrim, then. I never liked the beast races in Oblivion, and after seeing the Khajiits in Skyrim I really changed my opinion towards that race. But I still want to try out Vampirism and all that. I don't want to be a Khajiit and vampire, just doesn't fit. I want to look human, but my favorite race would be the Bosmers, since they are the ones handy with the bow. But to be honest, the gamer makes the character, so you will of course be able to pick your race, even though you want to play a massive Nord and make him into a stealth character. But I don't even know if I will continue with archery or abandon it. The melee and the magic in Skyrim looks really nice, and might change the way I look at it.

I know I will mess around with the character creator like the whole evening 11.11.11. Pathetic as I am I really can see me there, it's getting dark outside and the snow keeps filling up my window sill. I'll be sitting there, having no idea which race I'll pick, how stocky I'll be or if my character fits more in dark brown or black hair. But that's the beauty of it. You can make how many characters you like, and it's not like you have your one chance and then you've given birth to your character and there's no turning back.

Damn I'm looking forward to 11.11.11!

Edited by hejpadig

I've always played as Wood Elf and that is what I'm going to do. Now since that's all I play as I will probably make another character and have it be Nord. Or perhaps not, but it's fun to see the difference it will have in game. I was also thinking of a Dark Elf so yea.....never played as one.

I also came across a problem with deciding which race, and which sort of character I would play. Although, when the time comes I'll be spending about an hour on the character creator anyway.

Like many others, I had the general expectation that my first character would be the stereotypical warrior-Nord with heavy armor and dual-wield/two-handed training. I've never played a Nord, (but again, "like may others") as it is Skyrim, it seems sensible to me to play as a Nord to support the storyline.

But hey, my second playthrough as a Mage I'll be a different race, so it's all good. :)