93 members have voted

1. 1. Should citizens be allowed to have Guns

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say yes, as long as it involves proper licensing, training, background checks, limitations bulk purchases, and registration of test rounds into a database for fingerprinting along with ownership information

I'm with Vagrant on this one as long as it's legal responsible ownership then I'm on board. I might at one caveat that mandatory firearms training be required for the acquisition of a permit, I've seen too many armed and clueless gun owners over the years. Though I am going to break ranks with those that feel that to have an assault weapon is their god given right, it can't be used for hunting, is less functional than a shotgun for home defense and is less than useless as a concealed weapon for legal carry purposes.

It was not a comment about crime, or even a suggestion that there might not be some who could still pass background checks... Limiting access to responsible people might do those things, but more importantly it would do more to prevent stupid people from owning guns and injuring others or themselves with improper handling, storage, or usage... That's really where the problems are... Criminals will always have guns, and there are always people who can use them responsibly... But it's those between who probably have no business being armed.

It was not a comment about crime, or even a suggestion that there might not be some who could still pass background checks... Limiting access to responsible people might do those things, but more importantly it would do more to prevent stupid people from owning guns and injuring others or themselves with improper handling, storage, or usage... That's really where the problems are... Criminals will always have guns, and there are always people who can use them responsibly... But it's those between who probably have no business being armed.

I agree with that.

My point was that tests to check someone with a serious mental disorder will not always work.

I am a big fan of gun ownership. One of the main reasons the founding fathers wanted an armed populace was for the occasion when the government got to big for its britches. Whole lot easier to subdue an unarmed populace.

As someone said earlier: An armed society, is a polite society.

As an addendum to that: Ya get more, with a smile, and a gun, than just a smile.

There are some places here in the states where the head of household is REQUIRED to own/carry a weapon. (unless there are very good reasons they should not.... convicted criminal for instance.)

For home defense, there is nothing better than a short (sawed off) multi-shot shotgun, with bird shot. Won't blow thru walls and kill your neighbor like an assault rifle round, and has a nice spread..... granted, it tends to wreak havoc on the interior decorating...... but, given the choice, I would rather have to patch a few holes, and replace a few articles, than be dead, or have to bury one of my family members.

the thing about guns is they make it so gosh darn hard to get! what with the cost (sometimes) the back ground checks and all this and that. like i said, its much easier for the bad guys to get the guns then it is for the ppl who actually want to use them for safety.

and yea. i believe in our Constitution. the founding fathers knew what they were doing when they wrote it. they gave us our right to bare arms, not to defend ourselves from one another, or from an invasion (those are bonuses) but to defend ourselves from them (the government). and i shall use my firearm(s) in any of those instances lol

the thing about guns is they make it so gosh darn hard to get! what with the cost (sometimes) the back ground checks and all this and that. like i said, its much easier for the bad guys to get the guns then it is for the ppl who actually want to use them for safety.

and yea. i believe in our Constitution. the founding fathers knew what they were doing when they wrote it. they gave us our right to bare arms, not to defend ourselves from one another, or from an invasion (those are bonuses) but to defend ourselves from them (the government). and i shall use my firearm(s) in any of those instances lol

Precisely, gun laws do nothing to deter the criminals. They only hurt the law-abiding citizens.

If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns. Just because they are illegal, isn't going to magically make them get rid of them.... that's just stupid.

and if everyone had a gun, aint NO ONE gunna try and mug you with a freaking knife. lol :P

Erm, reaction times suggest the opposite...

Average person with a concealed weapon cannot react to someone running at them with a knife from 15 feet away. With weapon drawn, it's still around 10 feet.

Trained persons can average about 8 feet.

Trained officers who are used to pulling their gun can draw, aim and shoot in about 9 feet, a little over 6 feet if already drawn.

Anything less than that and all be the most twitchy or well trained person would simply not have the time to even level the weapon so that they aren't likely to hit a bystander or themselves.

It's all about reaction time, so the knife would win if the person is already less than 6 feet away... always. It's why police officers and the military try to maintain a distance of atleast 6 feet from any threat which has not been neutralized or covered by another.

A knife also has the advantage of being easier to conceal and being able to stab someone without unnecessary movements or noise. For random acts of violence for people who don't care about who gets hurt, they still tend to be the weapon of choice.