Guns or not Guns

hoofhearted4

93 members have voted

1. 1. Should citizens be allowed to have Guns

• Yes
    • No

If the weapon was made pre-86, you can own a full auto. Apparently there's some obscure method to own new ones as well. But I don't know anything about it.

Full auto guns should be legal. There should be no hoops to jump through to obtain them. This blood in the street crap that the Bradys like to bandy about is none sense.

You have to have a gun dealer license to obtain anything newer than 1986. And even if you can't directly own one, some shooting ranges will rent them for use. There is one down the road about 5 miles from me that rents pretty much anything one could want. They even got a browning .50 cal machine gun, but .50 BMG rounds aren't exactly cheap, and run about $1 a shot.

Your $1000 would last about 5 minutes in that .50 cal machine gun. I like shooting guns because its an adrenaline rush, a natural high. Firing fully automatic weapons is a rush.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the weapon was made pre-86, you can own a full auto. Apparently there's some obscure method to own new ones as well. But I don't know anything about it.

Full auto guns should be legal. There should be no hoops to jump through to obtain them. This blood in the street crap that the Bradys like to bandy about is none sense.

You have to have a gun dealer license to obtain anything newer than 1986. And even if you can't directly own one, some shooting ranges will rent them for use. There is one down the road about 5 miles from me that rents pretty much anything one could want. They even got a browning .50 cal machine gun, but .50 BMG rounds aren't exactly cheap, and run about $1 a shot.

Your $1000 would last about 5 minutes in that .50 cal machine gun. I like shooting guns because its an adrenaline rush, a natural high. Firing fully automatic weapons is a rush.

Yeah... but... it would be a FUN five minutes. :D

IMO if you really need to be packing in order to feel safe then it means that law enforcement has failed in its mission to maintain order and ensure the peace.

You know, the police cars in Central Texas don't even have 'to protect and serve' on them anymore. The job of the police is not to stop things from happening, but to respond when they do. Even if their job was prevention, it would be an impossible objective. When seconds count, the police are only minutes/hours/days away. Police response times are high, too high to protect you when SHTF. The only thing to protect you is yourself. Relying on someone that can't respond for minutes or even hours is foolhardy at best.

Edit: Hell, the fact that there are self defense shootings only prove that. If the police were always able to protect you from all threats, you wouldn't even have a chance to shoot someone in self defense.

You (and HeyYou) just made my point. If the police can't protect regular citizens then there is definitely something wrong in the US (no offense meant to our American friends).

In which fantasy world do you live where the police can respond instantaneously? Because unless I am mistaken, violent crime happens all the time in all parts of the world. Poor police response times are by no means exclusive to the US.

So, are you going to have a police officer stationed every five feet? Because having a large police force does crap all to prevent crime. Los Angeles, New York City, the UK, D.C., Chicago and many more all have very large police forces and all have very high violent crime rates. Having a large police force doesn't do much to deter crime.

Edit: also about guns in daycares. So what if there is a difference? Daycares are not prohibited places in many states. Yet, there aren't any rivers of blood flowing from them. The need to protect against violent criminals still exists, doesn't matter if it's a daycare or your home.

Edited by Syco21

Cops vs. Population.

Crime Rates by city.

Please notice that cities that have the highest cop/population ratio, also have the highest crime rates. (in general.)

In all reality, the number of cops has very little deterrent affect.......

There was a study that I read some time ago that is was not the quantity of cops but how they were employed that really mattered. In essence the study stated that when Police Forces put more men on the street and out of their patrol cars crime went down. It seems that beat cops get to know their patrol area more intimately than passing patrol cars and formed better relationships with the community thereby getting more relevant information when following up on a crime. At least in my area (greater Philadelphia) where that has been put into practice with the addition of Police sub stations in high crime areas, violent crime has taken a nose dive. It always seems that we have to rediscover the wheel to get satisfactory results....19th century methods just reapplied seem to work. But in any area where the population density is high there will be a good amount of crime regardless because of simple statistical numbers, more people.. more criminals hence more crime than if you lived in the sticks.

i think its also worth noting that its not a Law that the Police have to respond to a call. you can call the Police saying someone is murdering you or what have you, and they dont actually HAVE to respond to that call. also, on average, it takes a policeman 5+ minutes to respond to any given call.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have guns available to us, I am a gun owner and I will use it.

But I don't want to see guns at the little league games, in the park, at the bowling alley, at the skating rink, nor at the grocery store.

And I think the majority is still with me.

http://www.griffith.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/188727/can-police.pdf

In which fantasy world do you live where the police can respond instantaneously? Because unless I am mistaken, violent crime happens all the time in all parts of the world. Poor police response times are by no means exclusive to the US.

I know people like to talk crap about the police but don't assume that cops are necessarily incompetent.

Also I may not live in a war zone but violent crimes do exist and more often than not they still involve guns (mostly meant for hunting) but things like that are not so common over here.

Let's ask a hypothetical question, would you rather be mugged by someone with a knife or someone with a gun? It's possible to dodge and outrun a knife... Bullets are another matter altogether.

Edit: also about guns in daycares. So what if there is a difference? Daycares are not prohibited places in many states. Yet, there aren't any rivers of blood flowing from them. The need to protect against violent criminals still exists, doesn't matter if it's a daycare or your home.

In which crazy world do you live where it is normal to carry a gun when visiting a daycare center?