Guns or not Guns

hoofhearted4

93 members have voted

1. 1. Should citizens be allowed to have Guns

• Yes
    • No

Full auto weapons are designated as "class III" weapons. (also included in this category, are weapons with silencers, and short-barreled shotguns, not sure on the definition of 'short' here though.....) In order to own one, you need to have a license to own class III weapons. Once you have said license, you can own as many as you want..... just pay the 200 dollar tax, and a 5 dollar registration transfer fee (which may have gone up by now) and you are golden.

You MUST have a federal firearms license to purchase/possess a full auto weapon. You have to have the same permit to be able to have ANY weapon shipped to you from out of state.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Incorrect.

Weapons manufactured and registered prior to May 19th, 1986 are exempted from the ban on civilian ownership. They still require a tax stamp and owners must be vetted by the ATF and receive the permission of their local head of police(Chief of Police or Sheriff). The vetting the ATF does is simply a more stringent background check like you one you have to take when buying any weapon minus a carry license.

http://en.wikipedia....ughes_Amendment

Edited by Syco21

Because criminals obey the law and dealers and gun shows are the only way to acquire one, correct?

Unless a person is behind bars, there is no good reason to bar any freeman the right of owning a firearm. As I've already alluded to, such laws only prohibit the law abiding. Yes, an individual previously convicted of a crime and subsequently released from jail, can very well be a law abiding citizen.

i am saying:

legalize guns for everyone but criminals. how is this a statement that needs to be challenged?

so you say, but criminals will get guns anyway!

yes? i didnt say they wouldnt.

im saying good, law obiding citizens can have guns :rolleyes:

would you rather legalize guns for criminals, simply because they will get armed anyway?

Because criminals obey the law and dealers and gun shows are the only way to acquire one, correct?

Unless a person is behind bars, there is no good reason to bar any freeman the right of owning a firearm. As I've already alluded to, such laws only prohibit the law abiding. Yes, an individual previously convicted of a crime and subsequently released from jail, can very well be a law abiding citizen.

i am saying:

legalize guns for everyone but criminals. how is this a statement that needs to be challenged?

would you rather legalize guns for criminals, simply because they will get armed anyway?

Are you saying that you would outlawing law abiding citizens because they have made bad decisions in the past?

Registration != permit

Passing a rigorous background check != permit

Tax stamp != permit and is issued by the IRS

What is truly droll is that you seem to think that filing a registration is the same as getting one approved. In addition the background check is not your average one (as in a normal carry permit) and you pay the cost of it, if you fail they (ATF) are not required to tell you why either. It's not the prize in a box of crackerjacks to be had for the price of the candy. If you are so sure of the ease and simplicity of the process why not try, since the cost of ammo is not a hinderence this should be duck soup.

You can still buy/own silencers as long as you get a tax stamp. You also need to get an application from the ATF and notify them of the purchase. A good silencer for a 9mm glock runs about $800+ dollars. And they don't last forever and need to be replaced every few thousand rounds. And they aren't as silent as in the movies. People typically use sub sonic rounds in combination with a silencer if they want to their gun to be really quiet. Sub Sonic rounds are less powerful for obvious reasons. But for a point blank head shot it wouldn't really matter.

I'd outlaw gun ownership to anyone that is taking prescription meds for any form of mental illness, or has ever been admitted to a mental institution, period. Don't care if they were admitted 20 years ago.

Edited by Beriallord

i am saying:

Are you saying that you would outlawing law abiding citizens because they have made bad decisions in the past?

if they are law obiding its not a problem is it?

but if they are law-breakers, or they have a criminal sheet, then sure

a criminal record has reprecussions for everyone, gun-afficionados or not.

theres tons of jobs you cannot get, if you have a record. police officer is one of them.

Edited by zegh8578

Incorrect.

Weapons manufactured and registered prior to May 19th, 1986 are exempted from the ban on civilian ownership. They still require a tax stamp and owners must be vetted by the ATF and receive the permission of their local head of police(Chief of Police or Sheriff). The vetting the ATF does is simply a more stringent background check like you one you have to take when buying any weapon minus a carry license.

http://en.wikipedia....ughes_Amendment

Unfortunatly those with a fully automatic weapon know of this, and aren't giving them up for a small price ;)

What is truly droll is that you seem to think that filing a registration is the same as getting one approved. [...]

Sure, if you do not pass the background check or the other myriad of checks, you will be denied. Otherwise you will be approved. The only 'may issue' (for lack of a better term) is with the police. They may deny your request for whatever reason they so choose. But they only. AND it is possible to bypass them when the need arises. Here is the list of disqualifiers for which the ATF will disqualify you on. Further, should your application be denied, the $200 will be refunded.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-firearms.html#sot-refund

1. anyone under indictment for or convicted of a felony,
  2. fugitives from justice,
  3. illegal aliens,
  4. anyone unlawfully using or addicted to controlled substances,
  5. anyone subject to a domestic violence restraining order (issued in accordance with specified terms),
  6. veterans discharged under dishonorable conditions,
  7. anyone who has been adjudicated mentally defective or committed to a mental institution,
  8. people who have renounced their U.S. citizenship, or
  9. anyone who has been convicted of misdemeanor crime of domestic violence (18 USC § 922g).

Do any of those apply to you? No? Great, your application will be approved. Though state law varies.

I'd outlaw gun ownership to anyone that is taking prescription meds for any form of mental illness, or has ever been admitted to a mental institution, period. Don't care if they were admitted 20 years ago.

Careful what you wish for. Everything is a mental disorder these days. It's kind of like the prohibition on former felons. Everything is a felony these days.

if they are law obiding its not a problem is it?

but if they are law-breakers, or they have a criminal sheet, then sure

a criminal record has reprecussions for everyone, gun-afficionados or not.

theres tons of jobs you cannot get, if you have a record. police officer is one of them.

You do not have a right to become a police officer. You do have a right to own a gun. Further, I think that the whole criminal record thing needs to be reformed quite a bit. Few places have any real business looking at your record.

Unfortunatly those with a fully automatic weapon know of this, and aren't giving them up for a small price ;)

Once again, no one has said that it's cheap.

You need the permit to purchase an automatic weapon. If THE WEAPON was MADE post 1986, you cannot purchase it at all.

Incorrect again. If you have a class III FFL, you may purchase NEW class III weapons. But there are a crapload of hoops to jump through to do so. I can't be bothered listing them, the payoff is nonexistent anyway.