93 members have voted

1. 1. Should citizens be allowed to have Guns

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm on the fence. While I don't mind folks having guns (and also don't think it should be illegal), I do feel they should be more regulated than they are. In some cases it's just to easy to acquire one, or several.

With that said, my understanding of american firearms rules and regs is limited. I myself am Canadian.

often when debating this w americans, it becomes circular:

1. it should be regulated

2. but criminals have guns anyway

3. so everyone should have guns = unregulated

but there are realities outside america, such as canada, such as belgium, japan, etc, where this situation is not automatically circular.

in norway police do not have guns, and we do not have lifetimes in prison.

this means, if a drug smuggler is busted with a huge stash of drugs - his life is NOT over.

he has NO reasons to "pack heat"

so, this whole combination, of guns being near impossible to aquire, gangsters not feeling the need to shoot for their life (and therefore gangs vs gangs rarely use deadly force either), results in a whole country - where criminals do NOT "have guns anyway"

and an ideal situation is achieved.

i do realize that for a place like america, lets throw in brazil, russia, africa... this is now "too late", the situation has allready become circular.

but for the sake of _debate_, gun-regulation DOES have an effect - in the places where the situation has not become completely hopeless.

Edited by zegh8578

<SNIP>

but there are realities outside america, such as canada, such as belgium, japan, etc, where this situation is not automatically circular.

<SNIP>

<snip>

i do realize that for a place like america, lets throw in brazil, russia, africa... this is now "too late", the situation has allready become circular.

but for the sake of _debate_, gun-regulation DOES have an effect - in the places where the situation has not become completely hopeless.

Not to be unnecessarily cruel but Norway just had a mass shooting spree with over 80 dead ( more than twice as bad as our worst ..Virginia Tech), the onlookers from the shoreline could do nothing but wait it out. Hardly a recommending feature to your vision of a disarmed citizenry, being unarmed didn't stop a damn thing except help. One armed hunter could have intervened and saved at least some of the young victims from being added to the tally.

Edited by Aurielius

<SNIP>

<SNIP>

<snip>

Not to be unnecessarily cruel but Norway just had a mass shooting spree with over 80 dead, the onlookers from the shoreline could do nothing but wait it out. Hardly a recommending feature to your vision of a disarmed citizenry, being unarmed didn't stop a damn thing except help. One armed hunter could have intervened and saved at least some of the young victims from being added to the tally.

Seems rather unlikely considering the shooting was at a kids camp. Pretty sure you are not going to have many guns around a kids camp either way. If this happened in the US, for example at a school/college (one famous example you can probably remember) or at another camp, the exact same thing would have happened.

Norway just had a mass shooting spree with over 80 dead

Gun violence in the US kills 85 people every day.

The population-adjusted gun homicide rate in Norway is 2000 times less.

but still, our biggest killing spree is much less then that of Norway...the psycho going on a rampage is everyone's fear if everyone had a gun. they believe that you would have killing sprees every 5 minutes.

and the common argument we gun owners have, is that those numbers you point out, would be much less, if everyone owned a gun.

Okay, I know numbers can be confusing and scary, so let me rephrase that:

In the US, there's 1.25 Utøya massacres every. single. day.

No there are not..there is a murder or homicide rate but to claim that there are daily mass murders is disingenuous. Then take your figure (for the sake of argument as valid) and break that down as a fraction of the total population we are left with 1/30,000,000 . Statistics can be used to say anything you want them to.

Edited by Aurielius

Okay, I know numbers can be confusing and scary, so let me rephrase that:

In the US, there's 1.25 Utøya massacres every. single. day.

*cough-BS-cough*

oh, excuse me.

http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/tongue.gif

I guess that's what we call Marxist propaganda? http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/biggrin.gifAll True Comrades would be proud.

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x329/WizardOfAtlantis/gun_control_works.jpg