If AI was created, should it have equal rights to humans?

marharth

Should AI machines have equal rights?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Equal rights or not?

So based on assumptions that any type of AI would be maligned towards humans they should by default be oppressed.

What makes you so sure that they would be morally superior? Intellect and morality are separate concepts which are not immutably linked.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So based on assumptions that any type of AI would be maligned towards humans they should by default be oppressed.

What makes you so sure that they would be morally superior? Intellect and morality are separate concepts which are not immutably linked.

I assume nothing. As stated I would react circumstantially to them. If A, then B.

I assume nothing. As stated I would react circumstantially to them. If A, then B.

Then show me a way to prove the morality of a machine, once enfranchised there is no turning back.

Lets take your logic all the way down the road. We create the AI, we enfranchise the AI to be equal then the AI evolves far past us to the point that is comparable to humans to chimpanzees. Just how willing do you think the AI's will be to grant you equal rights?

Are you talking about equal rights, or the status of being equals? I think that there would be a difference. All Men (& Women) were created equally to each other, but once technology advances beyond our own understanding, I think that we could assume that we are no longer intellectually equal to said AI. I think that would bother a lot of people, but we'll get over it. Or maybe get killed if we're found to be in the way.

I also said the AI would have similar minds.

Do you think giving the AI rights would cause them to hate us less then oppressing them? What sense does that make?

If by your logic, they will end up evolving and killing us all anyways...

1. How would making them slaves, or treating them badly help the situation anymore?

2. If your going to destroy them based on a assumption that they will destroy you, what is the point of even discussing rights with you?

3. You are using the term machine as a bad thing. You are a machine as well. I don't think you would like it if I constantly refereed to you as "MACHINE" in all caps every time I talked to you.

4. If the AI is going to evolve with freedom, what makes them not evolve without freedom?

Show me a way to prove the morality of a human and we'll have a deal.

We are already the dominant species so that exercise is redundant. But there are moral people to use an example, there aren't moral machines.

Lets take your logic all the way down the road. We create the AI, we enfranchise the AI to be equal then the AI evolves far past us to the point that is comparable to humans to chimpanzees. Just how willing do you think the AI's will be to grant you equal rights?

Are you talking about equal rights, or the status of being equals? I think that there would be a difference. All Men (& Women) were created equally to each other, but once technology advances beyond our own understanding, I think that we could assume that we are no longer intellectually equal to said AI. I think that would bother a lot of people, but we'll get over it. Or maybe get killed if we're found to be in the way.

There is a term for second place it's called first loser and in the history of this planet that is a sure road to extinction.Neanderthals were second place..see any now?

It maybe the natural order of things. No species has ever genetically lasted forever. Perhaps it is not a totally uncommon type of evolution: for organic life to give rise to forms of AI life, whether machine like or made from organic compounds.

Eventually we ourselves might be augment ourselves cybernetically/genetically. We aren't entirely static and cannot possibly be equals to said AI intellectually. Might as well go full on scifi. Maybe the line differentiating us from them is kinda blurry.

Show me a way to prove the morality of a human and we'll have a deal.

We are already the dominant species so that exercise is redundant. But there are moral people to use an example, there aren't moral machines.

I am referring to a theoretical machine. Saying that theoretically moral AI cannot exist is imo presumptuous. There isn't even AI yet, so lets wait.

And how do you personally go about proving a person is moral?

There is a term for second place it's called first loser and in the history of this planet that is a sure road to extinction.Neanderthals were second place..see any now?

Well... as most Europeans alive will attest to generically, Neanderthals live on IN us. ;)

Edited by Ghogiel