200 years on and technology is still the same

egg

The problem with all of these Magic == Technology in TES arguments: That would make TES Dungeon Punk, which TES is most certainly not. I love the genre of exploring what effects magic would actually have on society, Magic is very much an extremely exotic thing in TES. Even though it seems for some reason everyone knows basic spells, actual practical application of magic is seemingly restricted to powerful wizards.

As for the real reason why TES hasn't changed at all, it's because doing something like, say, removing swords and adding guns would fundamentally and irrevocably change the setting. Making Tamriel into something unrecognizable would be bad, at least in the developer's minds.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the real reason why TES hasn't changed at all, it's because doing something like, say, removing swords and adding guns would fundamentally and irrevocably change the setting. Making Tamriel into something unrecognizable would be bad, at least in the developer's minds.

:wallbash:

Like I said I don't want guns. Guns are pointless anyway in a land where you can cast lightning and fireballs. Im talking smaller changes that shows the development of society such as day to day technology. Things like windmills, aquaducts and carts for horses. As well as original ideas that utilise magic.

I dont want the world to change dramatically, I just want it to look like society is developing. I would rather they never change it than add things like guns.

Dude, calm down. Guns were just an example (Though honestly I think a game with magical guns would be awesome). My point was, they don't want to change the setting too radically. If they do include any technological changes it'll be really tiny stuff like new folding methods or a rebalancing of a windmill's blades. And changes like that have happened in the game's lore, and probably more of them for Skyrim: Remember that book with the small segment on the history of locks in Tamriel? Just don't expect anything huge enough for you to notice in a trailer.

Dude, calm down. Guns were just an example (Though honestly I think a game with magical guns would be awesome). My point was, they don't want to change the setting too radically. If they do include any technological changes it'll be really tiny stuff like new folding methods or a rebalancing of a windmill's blades. And changes like that have happened in the game's lore, and probably more of them for Skyrim: Remember that book with the small segment on the history of locks in Tamriel? Just don't expect anything huge enough for you to notice in a trailer.

Sorry I am calm :thumbsup: . The main reason I put that in bold was to make anyone else who reads this thread aware thats my view. As a lot of people seem to be getting it confused from my original post that I want guns :unsure: .

Well since the only unified government in the region collapsed, it may be a bit hard for scientists (or archmages as they would probably call them) to colloborate on advancing new ideas like steam power, gunpowder and agriculture.

Besides why waste time on developing technologie to use highly unstable gunpowder if you can get the same result by using a fireball, or telekinesis to accelerate a pin at them?

Anyway I seriously think early guns wouldn't work that well on Draconic 'Angels' or in the cold.

Be patient children.

If the tools are released the modders will come. :wink:

Oblivion had Crossbows, Guns, and hell, even a motorbike added to it.

I'm sure we can look forward to improved versions for Skyrim.

To those who will be getting it for console :hurr:

The last 500 years in our world has seen massive technological advancement, but what of the hundreds of thousands of years of human civilised history prior to that?

this is exactly what I'm thinking too .. aside from the fact that todd has already explain that skyrim the region is far behind the rest of the world .. its also our own history of nothing happening for a long time .. only in the last few hundred years have things really started moving .. and the last 50 years things have been moving so fast we have a hard time grasping that there was a time where thing happened much slower .

Oblivion had Crossbows, Guns, and hell, even a motorbike added to it.

I'm sure we can look forward to improved versions for Skyrim.

To those who will be getting it for console :hurr:

That sounds like a really good reason to get it on console.

Oh I am... power to me ;-)

the hell am I reading .. is my mind so scrambled that I'm reading PC as console or are you two retarded.. :/