EA and Origin: or the beginning of the end...

SpellAndShield

Steam and Origin do not do the same thing.

Steam scans for it's own products, while Origin scans your entire hard drive and can send that information to anyone.

Valve:

"Valve also stores information on a user's hard drive that is used in conjunction with online play of Valve products. This includes a unique authorization key or CD-Key that is either entered by the user or downloaded automatically during product registration. This authorization key is used to identify a user as valid and allow access to Valve's products. Information regarding Steam billing, your Steam account, your Internet connection and the Valve software installed on your computer are uploaded to the server in connection with your use of Steam and Valve software."

Origin:

"You agree that EA may collect, use, store and transmit technical and related information that identifies your computer (including the Internet Protocol Address), operating system, Application usage (including but not limited to successful installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware, that may be gathered periodically to facilitate the provision of software updates, dynamically served content, product support and other services to you, including online services. EA may also use this information combined with personal information for marketing purposes and to improve our products and services. We may also share that data with our third party service providers in a form that does not personally identify you."

EA is directly invading your private files. Not only EA's products, but your whole hard drive is available to them and other third party service providers.

Edited by Iv000

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steam scans for it's own products, while Origin scans your entire hard drive and can send that information to anyone.

Valve:

"Valve also stores information on a user's hard drive that is used in conjunction with online play of Valve products. This includes a unique authorization key or CD-Key that is either entered by the user or downloaded automatically during product registration. This authorization key is used to identify a user as valid and allow access to Valve's products. Information regarding Steam billing, your Steam account, your Internet connection and the Valve software installed on your computer are uploaded to the server in connection with your use of Steam and Valve software."

Origin:

"You agree that EA may collect, use, store and transmit technical and related information that identifies your computer (including the Internet Protocol Address), operating system, Application usage (including but not limited to successful installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware, that may be gathered periodically to facilitate the provision of software updates, dynamically served content, product support and other services to you, including online services. EA may also use this information combined with personal information for marketing purposes and to improve our products and services. We may also share that data with our third party service providers in a form that does not personally identify you."

EA is directly invading your private files. Not only EA's products, but your whole hard drive is available to them and other third party service providers.

Sad thing is lots of people will still buy ME3 and not care about EA's nonsense.

Valve:

Origin:

So does Adobe, Facebook, MS and any other software company in the market. All smartphones, satnavs, car computers have markers that can give away your last known location. This is the Internet, you do not have any privacy. EVER! A hacker can get all the info out of your Nexus account if they wanted to and can track you down quickly. If you really care about privacy, I suggest to pack your bags and leave everything behind because you are constantly under threat from everything. Sad but true. At least EA's being at front about it.

I also forgot, anyone who has an account in one of EA's developer forums (whether DICE, or BioWare or whatever) already has an Origins account so in a way you are already giving away information to EA.

Edited by brokenergy

There's no need to hack my Nexus account, you can only click on it and you get a lot of info; where I live, my name, etc.

I have a set of private information that I want to share, and another set that I don't want to share with everybody.

My Nexus and other accounts (Like Steam) have basic info about me, and anyone willing to click on it can view it. If anyone wants some of the other, more private set of information, they only need to ask.

If Steam wants to scan my Hard Drive to see if I have their products installed, let them.

But EA/Origin wants to scan everything I store on my PC. Literally, every bit of my PC.

Let me compare both as I see fit:

Steam is like a man that wants to inspect your house, he first knocks on your door and says that he has to search a part of my house. I would agree.

Origin is like a robber, he can come to my house whenever he wants, and search through everything without me knowing. I do not agree to that.

That's my view of it at least.

Valve:

Origin:

So does Adobe, Facebook, MS and any other software company in the market. All smartphones, satnavs, car computers have markers that can give away your last known location. This is the Internet, you do not have any privacy. EVER! A hacker can get all the info out of your Nexus account if they wanted to and can track you down quickly. If you really care about privacy, I suggest to pack your bags and leave everything behind because you are constantly under threat from everything. Sad but true. At least EA's being at front about it.

I also forgot, anyone who has an account in one of EA's developer forums (whether DICE, or BioWare or whatever) already has an Origins account so in a way you are already giving away information to EA.

It's really sad you see things this way. EA is just being honest about it? Would you like it if the Australian government just decided to come into your home any time they wanted to, rifle through your things jot down information? If you think that is ok, then that is sad news.

Sure wish this kind of anger and calls to action were being directed against the much larger and far more intrusive and invasive application that everyone seems to think is a gift from God.

I am amused to no end at the hatred and vitriol thrown at EA and Microsoft both over this sort of thing when Valve has been doing it for 10 years and hardly a peep out of the very same group of people getting screwed over in the very same way.

I've never found Steamworks to be invasive at all. Sure, they also monitor certain aspects of your computer, but not to the extent or for the reasons EA does it. If I've ever been annoyed at DRM on Steam, it's always been third-party DRM tied to certain games, and not Steamworks. Aside from requiring you to tie your game to an account that gives you the convenience of downloading your games from anywhere in the world, I don't see what's so invasive about Steam.

Valve:

Origin:

Ahh Nuts nearly forgot about Crysis 2, knowing you have to sign up to there forums, good thing i sent only bogus info though except cd key >:(

I saw this EA thing in gameinformer long time ago, and people were freaking out while others said steam does the same thing for ages, so I actually read the whole thing from steam since I had steam isntalled for new vegas and there is nothing saying they can scan our entire computer, they say however that they can check the steam games on our computers wich is fine if the game is steam and they only have access to the steam game you installed I have no problems with that.So if steam scans our entire pc we can sue them for invasion of privacy cause they have no such warning in their agreement.

It's really sad you see things this way. EA is just being honest about it? Would you like it if the Australian government just decided to come into your home any time they wanted to, rifle through your things jot down information? If you think that is ok, then that is sad news.

Honey, if I wanted to be private I would have lived in some third world nation rather than Aus and never use any technology again. There is a huge difference between stealing private info to what EA's doing. Besides, I don't use digital downloads nor want to buy BF3 so I have nothing to hide. If you're so up and arms about it, then talk to your rep in parliament or a consumer group but don't assume that I know nothing about it.

Also Thor, I think Crytek is still independent but working with EA, so they may not count.

Honey, if I wanted to be private I would have lived in some third world nation rather than Aus and never use any technology again. There is a huge difference between stealing private info to what EA's doing. Besides, I don't use digital downloads nor want to buy BF3 so I have nothing to hide. If you're so up and arms about it, then talk to your rep in parliament or a consumer group but don't assume that I know nothing about it.

Also Thor, I think Crytek is still independent but working with EA, so they may not count.

Well said. Many companies already have most of your information since not that many usually read the eula :rolleyes:

Honestly, think about it this way. Every time you skip through terms of agreements you might have the company have your hard-drive your phone, your address, your name, and your favorite pizza shop in their data base.