Is chivilery dead

kvnchrist

Has the advancement in the counter culture and the thriving attraction to leach of the the social programs, by those capable of working, placing a tombstone on the ideal of chivalry. Has more liberal views of the roles of men and women, in our society made such ideals archaic?

Are many of the young ladies of today excepting less responsible and less driven young men into their hearts and into their beds. If they are, is this lowering of standards, attributable to self esteem issues or are they looking more for those young men, with the bad boy image?

No matter what, Is this lowering of standards, teaching their children that in order to be a real man, you are to lay around the house, playing games, while the women work.?

This might not fit for those here, since the education level here is far above the mainstream. I am looking at society as a whole.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, chivalry is still around, unfortunately. Some people, male and female, still believe women are porcelain princesses.

Femininity and weakness are not the same thing, and I am certainly not going to treat a woman like a helpless baby. I hold doors open for people of any gender, especially if they are carrying heavy stuff or are older than me or have small kids with them. I do give up my seat on the bus to old people and those who are pregnant.

I support manners, not patronising sexism. I do not believe women are evil, special, or inherently weaker than me. We're all people, regardless of gender, so if you think I'm going to fuss over you just because of your gender, go back to Stepford, I'm sure you'll love it there :P

I try to be nice to everyone, and lend a helping hand where I see it necessary, and I am able. I hold doors for folks, and various other niceties..... so, Chivalry is NOT dead, but, I am not a raging sexist as BlackBaron would paint it either. :D

No, chivalry is still around, unfortunately. Some people, male and female, still believe women are porcelain princesses.

Femininity and weakness are not the same thing, and I am certainly not going to treat a woman like a helpless baby. I hold doors open for people of any gender, especially if they are carrying heavy stuff or are older than me or have small kids with them. I do give up my seat on the bus to old people and those who are pregnant.

I support manners, not patronising sexism. I do not believe women are evil, special, or inherently weaker than me. We're all people, regardless of gender, so if you think I'm going to fuss over you just because of your gender, go back to Stepford, I'm sure you'll love it there :P

Nothing much to add to this. Kudos.

But in response to Aurielius. Yes, that would be true if we were talking about the core meaning... But unfortunately what chivalry is connected with is the grouping of practices and values that came from the Victorian age and were re purposed in the 1940's and 1950's. It is more often attributed with being polite, and in particular being extra courteous to women to affirm a weaker status. The old standards are disjointed completely save a few base concepts as it pertains to the greater population.

Even though I feel this question is best answered by the distaff members of the forum I'll give one personal answer..no. It only requires one knight errant to keep an ideal alive and to pass it along, I have yet to see a lady of any age object to be teated chivalrously and it simply a matter of good manners and breeding to continue the tradition. If the younger generation cannot see their way to be chivalrous then it's their loss and an indictment of their manners IMO. The smile of any lady when you hold open a door, give up a seat, allow them to precede you through an entrance is well worth the minor effort.

This is a social question and has to do with manners and respect for thoseof the fairer sex. I don't think it has anything exclusively to do with the staff of any site. I do feel that the the value of honor and respect are slowly slipping away, and as a society, it's loss will gravely reduce our humanity to each other.

This is a social question and has to do with manners and respect for thoseof the fairer sex. I don't think it has anything exclusively to do with the staff of any site. I do feel that the the value of honor and respect are slowly slipping away, and as a society, it's loss will gravely reduce our humanity to each other.

Well it's your thread and you may frame the question in any context you choose. I am out of this one now all my posts are hereby withdrawn.

Edited by Aurielius