So I wasted hours at modding and the game doesn't even work

Distrance

So I got DarkUld DarN now installed. When I install Oblivion XP or Supreme Magicka for example, it asks if it can overwrite certain files that are used by DarN. What should I do ..? Probably will happen for other mods too so I'm not sure if overwriting them is a good idea, but in other hand do the mods even work without writing all the files?

As for the 4GB thing, it says there '' of virtual memory on x64 platforms '' .... x64 is 32 bit, and x86 is 64 bit. I'm still not sure if I need it..?

I'll try the OGBE thing in a moment. I know it's weird.. I don't even understand how can OBGE make my menus disappear .. :S.

And lastly, about my ram .. No I'm not xD. It was so cheap when I bought my rig so I figured I might as well.. doesn't hurt. (42€ for 2x4GB so 16GB was just 84€...). It has already shown it's uses when running multiple clients of MMO's through VMWare. (Virtual machines sure require a lot of resources...).

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The description of that 4gig tool makes no sense. Virtual memory is an area on the hard drive that can be any size you set it. If the game has to depend on virtual memory then it will be extremely slow compared to what it would be in ram these days. Kind of wish I knew programming to have a look at it and see exactly what it does. As near as I can figure from the description though, it is trying to convert a 32bit application into a 64bit one, or at least into one that will act like a 64bit application.

The description of that 4gig tool makes no sense. Virtual memory is an area on the hard drive that can be any size you set it. If the game has to depend on virtual memory then it will be extremely slow compared to what it would be in ram these days. Kind of wish I knew programming to have a look at it and see exactly what it does. As near as I can figure from the description though, it is trying to convert a 32bit application into a 64bit one, or at least into one that will act like a 64bit application.

Overwriting is fine really. In OBMM if you click yes in the box that asks if you want to know what is being overwritten, you'll know that the files being overwritten are mainly duplicates (most of the time)

In case of supreme magicka and darnified UI, I think magicka is tying to change a UI element, should be fine in any case. (I accepted the overwrite.)

If you do experience a problem with that and suspect overwriting to be the cause simply deactivate both mods and reactivate them one after the other not accepting the overwrite this time.

All in all overwriting is a safe process and never game breaking (If you're using OBMM that is)

The 4gb patch (for x64/64bit os) , well I can say out of personal experience that it definitely works. I had a perfect FCOM install with lots of additional mods and I couldn't go more than a km without crashes and stutter. The 4gb patch eliminated that.

Also streamlines stream purge feature (ctrl + delete) in game really helps. (it is an automatic feature, but it helps if you do it manually at times)

Try without the patch and see the results. If its unstable, then use the patch. You can always revert to a backup of your exe (unpatched)

All it does is patches the oblivion.exe, that's all.

There is also this part about pyffi-ing certain folders (of vanilla oblivion) [given in detail in the 50 steps to a crash free fcom install.]

This is necessary (atleast I found it necessary). But it will take a long time to do it.

You should look up the nexus for an upload of the pyffied folders

Also have you installed Cobl?

Incorporate Cobl, its useful if you use realism mods and some house/castle mods require Cobl (some may come with non cobl versions)

Liquid water, QTP 3 redemized and OBGE are what make the graphics of oblivion truly breathtaking.

Edited by NikhilR

Why redemized on QTP? Isn't the full version better? That's what I installed anyway. Though it bothers me, as I have not played Oblivion in a long time, I'm not even sure if it works. I say this because when I start new game, the prison cell you're in doesn't really look any different as I remember it. How do I know if the texture pack is even working?

I did what you instructed me on OBGE, and the glitch still happens : All of the menu buttons just magically disappear making it impossible to even start a game when I've no idea where to press. Goddamnit.. I must have liquid water >.<

When you're testing graphics mods (or any mods in general) to see if your game is stable and displaying the graphics changes you need to be working off a save from just before you exit the sewers. In a vanilla fully patched game go through the tutorial dungeon and just before the sewer exit (where you're prompted for final changes to your character) make a save (I prefer a named save using the console). Now add your mods a bit at a time and exit the sewer and stroll about a bit. A quick trip to Vilvern will tell you if your game is stable and give you a chance to see if you notice any changes in the graphics.

Why redemized on QTP? Isn't the full version better? That's what I installed anyway. Though it bothers me, as I have not played Oblivion in a long time, I'm not even sure if it works. I say this because when I start new game, the prison cell you're in doesn't really look any different as I remember it. How do I know if the texture pack is even working?

I did what you instructed me on OBGE, and the glitch still happens : All of the menu buttons just magically disappear making it impossible to even start a game when I've no idea where to press. Goddamnit.. I must have liquid water >.<

OTP3 redemized (reduced and optimized) is less graphic intensive. Well since you've already installed QTP3 full try it out and see if you experience too much lag or anything. User experiences differ. I've never used the full version, but redemized works fine for me, and its probably what I should be using because I am using a lot of other texture replacers (from pillows to pumpkins :)

And good news, I've found a solution to your disappearing menu, simply go to your options menu (when you start the game) and disable Anti - Aliasing. If you've forced enabled it on your graphic card, disable it there too. This is after you have OBGE installed.

This should work,

on the forum topic here is another solution you can try (if simply disabling AA in your menu doesn't work)

http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/188894-no-main-menu/page__st__10

OBGE is what you all are trying to get to work, right??

1. On the VERY FIRST RUN of OBGE, turn off antialiasing on your video card. 
2. Turn off HDR in OBlivion.ini. 
3. Now, load a save game.
4. OBGE has now generated an INI, go open it.
5. Change the line: "bNoShadersInMenus=0" to "bNoShadersInMenus=1"
6. Turn on your AA, Turn on your HDR.
7. Load game.

If that didn't work, read the instructions again, cuz you are doing it wrong.  

And could you post a screenshot of the prison, here's how you do it,

http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index.php/How_To_Create_Screenshots_Using_Oblivion

That way I'll know if the pack isn't working. Compare it with mine anyway.

Ps: good deal on the ram. I'm not quite an MMO player (yet) As far as online multiplayer goes, at present its mainly a dragon ball z game called ZEQ2 lite.

Edited by NikhilR

Well it definitely ISNT working if that's how the cell should look like. I used OMOD to install the texture pack so why isn't it working?

And guess what, I can't take a screenshot because the game crashes right when I start a new game and I've created my character if the screenshot option is enabled from the ini... disable it, and it doesn't crash o.O

There's also some weird graphical glitches going on.. When the guards come by and enter the room, the two male guards lack any hands or legs... they're just floating about ... The female guard, and the king however, appear normal.

Edited by Distrance

Have you used some form of Archive Invalidation? If not use BSA Redirection. And if you're running a Steam Install you'll also need to use File Date Changer to rollback the "Last Modified" dates of the .bsa archives that come in a vanilla Oblivion (plus DLC) install to somewhere around 2005.

Have you used some form of Archive Invalidation? If not use BSA Redirection. And if you're running a Steam Install you'll also need to use File Date Changer to rollback the "Last Modified" dates of the .bsa archives that come in a vanilla Oblivion (plus DLC) install to somewhere around 2005.

Have you installed archive invalidation invalidated?