Assassination of US Citizens

draconix

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you will find the applicable laws under "treason".

And for the record, my vow was to protect the flag from all enemies, foreign and domestic. It wasn't a police action. It was a military action.

It's rare but I so do enjoy it when we are on the same page. :thumbsup:

The sanction was legal and appropriate and I won't lose a minute of sleep over their demise.

Nobody said that these were good people, I'm not losing sleep over their demise either. What does concern me is the dividing line between assassination of US citizens and their right to a trial by a jury of their peers. What made this instance "legal and appropriate?" It was bad enough that a random person that the president determined to be a threat could be sent to Guantanamo Bay without a trial, but now we're dealing out death.

Wasn't the first time the American Government violated the Constitution for security measures. One very famous example can be found under president Abraham Lincoln, who, if anyone here knows their history, suspended Habeas Corpus to calm unruly masses during the outbreak of the Civil War. There are times when we need to betray what we originally stand for so that those rights may continue to stand by us. Now in this case, I'm not exactly sure if this was the most appropriate action to take. However, if they were indeed terrorists, and have connections to organizations that want to bring America harm, then I have no problem with what has happened. The only real thing that worries me is if this action is abused.

I'm of the opinion that they gave up their rights as citizens when they aided enemies of the country.

That is not what the constitution says.

What people fail to understand is without a fair trial we don't know if these people were terrorists or not. The entire f***ing reason we have trials in this country is so we can prove or disprove if someone is gulity or not.

Wasn't the first time the American Government violated the Constitution for security measures. One very famous example can be found under president Abraham Lincoln, who, if anyone here knows their history, suspended Habeas Corpus to calm unruly masses during the outbreak of the Civil War. There are times when we need to betray what we originally stand for so that those rights may continue to stand by us. Now in this case, I'm not exactly sure if this was the most appropriate action to take. However, if they were indeed terrorists, and have connections to organizations that want to bring America harm, then I have no problem with what has happened. The only real thing that worries me is if this action is abused.

What you say may be true, but that doesn't make it right. It doesn't matter if Lincoln did it, or Bush did it, or Obama did it. Jefferson said it best when he wrote:

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

-Memoirs of the life and writings of Benjamin Franklin

Some people add onto the end of that quote, "...And they will end up with neither." While he Jefferson did not say that last part, I think it rings true as well. It's important to note that I am quoting him not because he is a framer of the constitution, and is therefore right, I am quoting him because it is true as evidenced by Germany, Saudi Arabia, and North Korea. If we are to go about policing the world, (and we shouldn't,) we should also try to lead by example, and at least try to keep a moral high-ground.

If they can be on a top secret kill list, you can be on a top secret kill list.

I don't aid terrorists, or, make videos talking about how I am going to bring down the Great Satan either. These folks may have been tried in absentia, and found guilty, and sentenced to death. Or, given the preponderance of evidence, their guilt was obvious. Also, keep in mind, these folks were actively engaged in war against the united states. We sniped an awful lot of folks without a trial in Iraq, Afghanistan, and every other war we have been involved in. Simply being an american citizen doesn't give them some magical blanket of protection. If you are going to be/aid/abet terrorists, expect a bullet without a trial first. I don't care what citizenship you claim.

I don't aid terrorists, or, make videos talking about how I am going to bring down the Great Satan either. These folks may have been tried in absentia, and found guilty, and sentenced to death. Or, given the preponderance of evidence, their guilt was obvious. Also, keep in mind, these folks were actively engaged in war against the united states. We sniped an awful lot of folks without a trial in Iraq, Afghanistan, and every other war we have been involved in. Simply being an american citizen doesn't give them some magical blanket of protection. If you are going to be/aid/abet terrorists, expect a bullet without a trial first. I don't care what citizenship you claim.

They were not enemy combatants. If they were it would have not been a assassination.

They were not enemy combatants. If they were it would have not been a assassination.

I beg to differ. They were indeed the enemy, and they got what they deserved.