disk says 0 kb free and 0 kb used?

Joebloes

I know this question been asked but no one really answers it. Not a big fan of programming but still ok to know some what I'm doing. Any way every time I see this question it goes unanswered. every link some one puts up to where a fix is. It comes up blank or 404. I recently bought the GOTY edition and yes I had old traces of an older game of Oblivion on my pc (borrowed) I pretty much got it to the point if i put in a search on my comp for Oblivion / Bethesda or The elder scrolls the search ends up empty. I cleaned any traces on my Registry of Oblivion. I used Ccleaner like 10-15 times already. I tested the Disk on another comp works fine. I restarted my DVD-Rom drivers. I cleaned the Laser lens off. I tried rebooting back tot he first day I put in the old Oblivion. that always came up failed. So it could be that the drive is dying. but that is my last resolve. Am i missing any more options? I haven't tried installing it from another computer onto my portable harddrive yet. i don't think that would do much. my computer cam default of Nero. my computer plays other DVD-Rom games and a DVD too. Which marks away from the fact that the drive is dying. No matter what I tried it either came up with no change of icon or it shows up as a DVD-RW with 0 kb free and 0 kb used. If any one can think of another option of why the disk doesn't read let me know plz. and i may need some set by steps too. ty in advance.

I believe my comp is SecuROM free i did a few searches and got nuthing. but still same outcome. I have a file named Oblivion mods i made to hold all my mod back ups. could those be the reason? or does that not matter.

Edit: i also did a serch on files that mention oblivion. and a big list is spuninst.inf came up and it does list off Oblivion in it could that contribute? is it safe to remove them or can i just edit them to not mention Oblivion.

Edited by Joebloes

*bump*

+ an update:

so i went ahead and got rid of just the refrence of Oblivion and got rid of most games i had that might be suspected of using the SecuROM. still no change. any one got any other idea's of what it could be.

ps. sorry for the double post on this i just really want to get Oblivion working.

When you say:

it shows up as a DVD-RW with 0 kb free and 0 kb used

are you using a burned backup copy of your original disk or is the original disk being seen as an DVD-RW disk (as opposed to a DVD-ROM disk)?

The current disk I was using was the copy off the shelves. I bought it recently. But the borrowed I used wasn't a retailed. i switched over to the retail because the shivering isle quest was bugged. it was missing a file i guess it counted it as installed but it couldn't start the quest for the door. Like i said before i practically got rid of any traces as i can find of the old.

Looks like you may have a bad DVD. But you could test it on another computer before trying to get a replacement.

As for getting rid of an old install before a new one

Here is a link to my complete uninstall/reinstall procedure located in the WIKI section of the Nexus

http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Oblivion_reinstall_procedure

It allows you to preserve any saves and mods, or remove them completely - your choice.

This procedure has worked for thousands of people. :thumbsup:

@ Bben -- he said the DVD works fine in a different system in the original post. (you probably missed that in reading !)

What brand is the DVD player ? and what version of windows are you using ?

The SI disk uses a portion of the Securom program and Securom has problems with certain makes of DVD drives -- It sees them as a virtual drive and refuses to use it for some reason ( most drives function fine but some brands have the problem and Securom refuses to acknowledge it is their program causing it) -- do you have access to another brand of DVD drive ? Do you have a DVD copy program capable of making an .iso image ?

If you have another DVD drive try it -- If you have an image maker make an iso image of the disk - load it into a virtual drive and run the install from it ( Securom is designed to balk at virtual drives but the virtual drive makers design them to circumvent this restriction and the only ones that have problems with it is actual physical drives that are mistaken for virtual drives like yours currently while the real virtual drives function fine ! - another case of DRM causing only legit purchasers problems while the pirates play hassle free !!) -- If your iso making program does not function use another system to make the image to a thumbdrive and then copy to your system)

Did you run the securom uninstaller that was in the Link Hey You posted earlier ? and did it find anything ?

If on XP try going into the DVD drive properties and under the recording tab turn off the recording capability (this will sometimes get Securom to stop seeing it as a burner and allow it to read the disk properly) IIRC this option was

removed in VISTA and win 7.

Also sometimes a firmware update to the BIOS of the DVD drive will correct the issue.

Edited by JDFan