ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Companion Armor Disappearing

LuciusConfucius

Hello!

I have an weird bug with the Companion Share and Recruit mod (http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3066).

I recruited a normal npc and gave him Imperial Legion Watch armor with an Imperial Legion Palace Curiass (I made them playable via geck).

Then I told him to "make home"(resting, eating, sandbox type mode) at a certain location.

We got attacked and he left the cell he was in (through a door) and I followed him to help out, but when I get to the other side I notice that he's not wearing ANY of his items. I killed the enemy and we returned to the original cell, (through the same door) and he still wasn't wearing his armor.

So I shared inventory with him and took his chest piece from him and then returned it to him with hopes of him debugging.

But nope. He refused to wear his armor again.

(Note that he did not use/wear his weapons either)

What's going on? Why does this happen?

And is there a fix that I might have missed?

Thanks for any help!

NPCs wear their most valuable armor. Is the armor you gave him more valuable than any other armor he is carrying? Or is he just wearing cloth clothing into battle?

Is your NPC a respawning NPC? Those don't work well in companion mods. They tend to lose the gear you give them and not even have it in inventory. Companions that die permanently or that are essential and never die work better. I guess what happens is that when you fast travel, a new copy of the NPC spawns rather than your custom-equipped one following you. I suspect something like this can happen with doors between worldspaces.

Companion mods tend to be really glitchy. You might try having your companion follow you rather than making home and seeing if that will get him to equip his gear. You might try other tricks like fast traveling or waiting in another cell.

Edited by David Brasher

I'd only add to David's excellent comments that there are some non-standard companions set to essential who will keep a "memory" of the clothes you've given them, and retain these after they've risen from the dead. I know Viconia, Saerileth, and Vilja (when she's set to essential) do, and that Arren doesn't. If a companion mod doesn't state in its description whether this is the case, it's a good idea to ask the modder.

Thanks for answering guys.

He is actually set to Essential. I made him in GECK and I do have some experience with creating npc's, but maybe it's an error on my part? He is pretty much like any other normal essential npc, except with any package or script/quest/extended dialouge(just rumors).

I gave him his armor and weapons through the geck and did not give him anything else as I recruited him.

I have been reading around and it seems that sometimes companions armor will just bug out for some reason, I'm going to do a desperate try and add this: http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34753

I know it says it will fix a double face bug in fast travel, but perhaps it's related somehow. Right now I'm going to test out anything really. Can't hurt to try right?

(I bet it's something really simple that I have forgotten that makes it all bug about)

He is actually set to Essential. I made him in GECK and I do have some experience with creating npc's,

You're too modest. You've done some fine ones, and I should have recognized your name at once. :)

Are you running any mannequin mods? I know it's pretty absurd to go the limit on these (256, I think, but I slept poorly) though if you do, items on companions/mannequins will start to vanish.

He is actually set to Essential. I made him in GECK and I do have some experience with creating npc's,

You're too modest. You've done some fine ones, and I should have recognized your name at once. :)

Are you running any mannequin mods? I know it's pretty absurd to go the limit on these (256, I think, but I slept poorly) though if you do, items on companions/mannequins will start to vanish.

Oh haha, I ofcourse meant TES Construction Kit instead of geck. Sorry for that, I confuse them sometimes.

I'm not running any mannequin mods, in fact I'm running very few mods as I have just reinstalled oblivion.

But I have not managed to replicate the problem, it seems to happen when one npc that you have recruited leaves his "make home" cell, without you giving any command for him to do so.

But since this is an uncommon occurance(hopefully as I have only been playing for a very short while), so I don't think it's much of a problem, just a minor "meh".

Thank you all for your time, and if I see some more odd behaviour I will try to look it up/replicate it and investigate it.