characters randomly attacking each other?

diosoth

After visiting Dunbarrow Cove to claim my share of the pirate's weekly looting I slept in the bed to pass some time and then saved. I leave the captain's room and Kovan Kren is running with his sword out and starts attacking Melliwen. It took me a few loads to put an end to the fight, eventually I had to attack and yield to Melliwen which allowed Kovan to escape and the fight eventually ended. But then I noted they tend to stare at each other from across the room in subsequent returns. Are they supposed to hate each other? I can't have my characters killing each other like that and I don't think it's supposed to happen so I'm guessing the game got bugged and set disposition down. I used the console to set their disposition to each other to 100 but I'm not sure it worked yet(their aggression level may have been altered which could ignore it)... and I hate having to use the console while playing beyond getting a reading of FPS, especially to try and work around some odd bug. If I find they fight again, or one kills the other while I'm away I may have to uninstall and reinstall the add-on.

I do not suspect a mod caused it, and now that I think of it, random characters would suddenly develop a negative disposition to me in my last install/playthrough and attack for no reason and in in both cases, it was pirates that did it.