[WIP] Beast Master - Creature Companion Overhaul

steelfeathers

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though its more or less dumb, is it that bad to have only three dialogue options, with the fourth one just redirecting to another dialogue tree? Perhaps the second set dialogue tree, as it were, can just lead to the various options and tweaks? Though tedious, it may be your best option for now.

Even though its more or less dumb, is it that bad to have only three dialogue options, with the fourth one just redirecting to another dialogue tree? Perhaps the second set dialogue tree, as it were, can just lead to the various options and tweaks? Though tedious, it may be your best option for now.

That's kind of what I'm doing. There's a silver lining - I've added two new options. "Know any tricks?" and "Change combat style".

"Know any tricks?" plays an idle animation for that creature. Some are better than others; the Deathclaw trick is pretty impressive. Nick even commented on it with "oh crap!" :D Others are....less impressive. But that's the limitation of only having the standard animations to work with. But I suppose for immersion it can be thought of as "yeah, brahmin aren't very good at doing tricks...that's okay, I love the guy anyway. Even if he is derpy."

"Change combat style" allows you to set when your pet will attack and how cautious (or not) they will be in battle.

Oh and here, have a pretty in-game screenshot of a painted radscorpion:

http://i.imgur.com/icXySbj.jpg

Edited by steelfeathers

That's kind of what I'm doing. There's a silver lining - I've added two new options. "Know any tricks?" and "Change combat style".

"Know any tricks?" plays an idle animation for that creature. Some are better than others; the Deathclaw trick is pretty impressive. Nick even commented on it with "oh crap!" :D Others are....less impressive. But that's the limitation of only having the standard animations to work with. But I suppose for immersion it can be thought of as "yeah, brahmin aren't very good at doing tricks...that's okay, I love the guy anyway. Even if he is derpy."

"Change combat style" allows you to set when your pet will attack and how cautious (or not) they will be in battle.

Oh and here, have a pretty in-game screenshot of a painted radscorpion:

http://i.imgur.com/icXySbj.jpg

That looks marvelous! Just out of curiosity, are you planning on releasing a "beta" or are you just going to release the mod once you're completely done with it? because id be more than happy to try the mod and give my thoughts on it.

Well, I don't intend to try to wait until it's COMPLETELY done (I'd be waiting quite a long time for that), but I'm not going to put it out in half-baked beta form either. Honestly, I'm chomping at the bit to have it done and published more than you guys are, lol.

But if you're really interested in testing, I can send you your very own beta copy. At this point the mechanics are all pretty solid, it's just a matter of ferreting out where things have unintended consequences, or get annoying, or just don't balance well.

Aside from finishing up the body paints and fixing some mesh rigging issues, there are a few lingering things that are driving me crazy, but I'm not entirely sure whether they are fixable:

1) I'm about 97% sure that it's impossible to be able to give your pet a custom name without using some sort of SetDisplayName function, which doesn't exist yet, and won't until FO4SE kicks into high gear. (More specifically: It's impossible to give your pet a custom name, AND be able to change it at will, AND have an unlimited number of pets each have a custom name, without using SetDisplayName)

2) Player voice files. It drives me bananas that you can't select the file path for the voice file you want to use when creating a new line of dialogue - the file path (and file name) are auto-generated. And copying the player voice .fuz files into that file path results in silent dialogue lines. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or how to fix it. So at the moment, in order to re-use existing player voice files, I'm overwriting two quests that I'm sure will cause conflicts down the line: PlayerCommandDialogue, and DogmeatQuest.

http://imgur.com/NOetObq.jpg

HOLY s#*!

THAT LOOKS UNBELIEVABLE

i cant f*#@ing wait to stroll the wasteland with my tribal painted deathclaw with a neck chain. But one question, do you craft each body paint section individually or do you craft something like "Tribal deathclaw paint" and you just equip it on your deathclaw and most of its body is painted? Like for example, say, i only want the head painted. Not the legs, arms, jaw etc, only the head. Can i craft that individual paint?

I swear i cant get enough of these screenshots, whenever you post a screenshot my hunger for more grows stronger.

HOLY s***

THAT LOOKS UNBELIEVABLE

i cant f***ing wait to stroll the wasteland with my tribal painted deathclaw with a neck chain. But one question, do you craft each body paint section individually or do you craft something like "Tribal deathclaw paint" and you just equip it on your deathclaw and most of its body is painted? Like for example, say, i only want the head painted. Not the legs, arms, jaw etc, only the head. Can i craft that individual paint?

I swear i cant get enough of these screenshots, whenever you post a screenshot my hunger for more grows stronger.

You don't craft anything. That would be a bit silly. :P

Instead, the option "Apply paint" appears when you talk to your pet if you have red, yellow, or blue paint in your inventory. And if your pet is already painted and you want to get rid of the paint, just find some turpentine and then talk to them again - the option "Remove paint" will now appear instead, and you can scrub away the body paint.

(So no, you can't just paint one section. Getting the deathclaw paint to work has been finicky enough as it is - especially since I need 5 different overlays to fit the 5 different deathclaw meshes. And for some bizarre reason, the Savage deathclaw skin conflicts with the Savage deathclaw paint overlay. No idea why.)

HOLY s***

THAT LOOKS UNBELIEVABLE

i cant f***ing wait to stroll the wasteland with my tribal painted deathclaw with a neck chain. But one question, do you craft each body paint section individually or do you craft something like "Tribal deathclaw paint" and you just equip it on your deathclaw and most of its body is painted? Like for example, say, i only want the head painted. Not the legs, arms, jaw etc, only the head. Can i craft that individual paint?

You don't craft anything. That would be a bit silly. :tongue:

Instead, the option "Apply paint" appears when you talk to your pet if you have red, yellow, or blue paint in your inventory. And if your pet is already painted and you want to get rid of the paint, just find some turpentine and then talk to them again - the option "Remove paint" will now appear instead, and you can scrub away the body paint.

(So no, you can't just paint one section. Getting the deathclaw paint to work has been finicky enough as it is - especially since I need 5 different overlays to fit the 5 different deathclaw meshes. And for some bizarre reason, the Savage deathclaw skin conflicts with the Savage deathclaw paint overlay. No idea why.)

Ah, i understand. Still looks incredible though! Hope you dont give up on this project because i can already sense its gonna blow up once you release it.