Favorite RPG

kinglarsi

I forgot about KOTOR ... I would say thats pretty high up on my game list for an RPG .. I suppose Neverwinternights2 would be high on that list but high for an rpg is like 20-30 .. the top ten spots are still other genres .. its really weird that Oblivion and F3 both have my #1 and #2 spots seeing as I've never really loved any RPGs Ive played .. Mass Effect would also be very high on that list but its not really an rpg .. the first one was but the second got a lot more linear and lost the loot mechanic. Edited by jedimembrain

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darklands, 1992 MicroProse

Quite possibly one of the most innovative, brilliant, and impacting RPG ever to be made. You could literally strap a new graphics engine/interface on the exact same game and it would sell by today's standards. By far the best execution of D&D (ish) rules to be put into a videogame. One of the only RPGs I've ever played with a full living world and proper aging/learning of your party members. I'd highly suggest anyone who hasn't seen/played this game to look it up. This was the cornerstone of open-world RPG games and pretty much any open-world RPG made since has copied it heavily.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darklands_(video_game)

I will have to say Tales of Symphonia for the Gamecube.

Which is weird for me because I am really not into japanese culture, anime, games, etc. I am for the most part a hardcore western PC gamer. It is strange that liked that game because it had everything I can't stand about eastern games. Cheesy love story, characters with gravity defying hair, stupid outfits that look more fit for a rave than a battlefield, totally expected M. Night twist that involves the overly cute to the point of being disgusting girl possibly dieing, drawn out cinematic while the character charges some "ultimate attack" and the villain just stands there and takes it, etc. etc. It baffles me why I enjoyed that game so much. I even thought,"Maybe I like eastern RPG's now." and tried both Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest and couldn't do it.

If you look at the other RPG's I like: Elder Scrolls, Witcher, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Baulders Gate, Knights of the Old Republic, Divinity, Fallout, Planescape, etc. they are all your classic western knights, mages, jedi, space marines, and mercenaries then there's Tale of Symphonia for whatever reason.

Edited by NAPALM13092

Dragon age origins! great story great, GFX, just superb!

also ofcourse KOTOR, Knights of the Old republic 1 & 2

fallout 3 very good aswell!

fallout new vegas had me troubled with crashes every hour or so so i didn't get that deep in the story line and i am guessing that fallout 3 was better anyways!

mass effect games! AWESOME

Dragon age origins! great story great, GFX, just superb!

also ofcourse KOTOR, Knights of the Old republic 1 & 2

fallout 3 very good aswell!

fallout new vegas had me troubled with crashes every hour or so so i didn't get that deep in the story line and i am guessing that fallout 3 was better anyways!

mass effect games! AWESOME

DAO had great graphics? .. news to me..

Let's see, largely in order...(non-Bethesda games)

FF7

Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross

Icewind Dale

Deus Ex

Kotor 1

hmm...probably missing a couple but these are probably the tops...no, I haven't played BG or Fallout yet (playing it through now, really hard!), and did first couple of major areas in NVN before getting tired of it, 2 party members just isn't enough...but I will be getting the BG collection soon so that will be taken care of at least =)

Mainly, those five games listed...I fell into their worlds, totally, absolutely...story, atmosphere, dialogue, music, everything--those are how a quality RPG should be made, and they're classics because of it

I have a good many as I can't bring myself to choose one. So in order from absolute favorite to slightly less favorite.

(I hope Skyrim goes here =D)

Star Wars:Knight of the Old Republic

Fable:The Lost Chapters

The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion

Dragon Age: Origins

Mass Effect 1 and close behind Mass Effect 2

Edited by TehGorgy