Razer Onza Gamepad

CommanderCrazy

So i bought Driver San Francisco, and the controls for it are terrible on the mouse and keyboard.

I then thought that its time i started looking for a Gamepad, and i found a sweet deal on Ebay for this one in particular, and its brand new.

So what im asking, is does anyone have experience with it? is it good?

Well worth your money CC.

I have one, and I can fairly say that it's probably the best Xbox 360 controller on the market at the moment. The real standouts though are the low weight, cord length(almost too long for most rooms) long warranty, and above all the redesigned triggers-the triggers have a longer pull on them but are also more sensitive. You don't notice anything diferent when playing an FPS, but get behind the wheel of a race game and they're a huge boon, giving substantialy better brake/throttle feather.

All around though CC I couldn't recomend anything better, unless you want to blow a few hundred on something bespoke. This goes double for racing games, as this feels like it was designed with a focus on the track. :thumbsup:

Pros:

Substantialy lighter, about 35% lighter, as a result of not being battery powered.

Much nicer shape to hold, and with a flat plain for buttons, and better moulded wings, it's much nicer for long sessions.

Synthetic, Leather-like texture is comfortable to hold, just so happens to be sweatproof too and can be cleaned with a damp kitchen sponge.

Button layout slightly better, revised triggers sublime for racing games and a quantum leap better than normal.

Slightly more nuanced stick controls, variable stick tension via twist knobs under the thumbstick grip.

Programmable extra set of shoulder buttons can be remapped to any fuction already mapped, ideal for racing(set them to your gear shifter controls) but absolutely lifesaving in Halo and similar(You can bind nearly every important keystroke to the shoulder buttons, making you as quick as an asp in FPS games, especialy on the melee)

Gives a wholely subjective but palpable sense of being very well put together and well designed, doesn't feel like it'll break or let you down.

Cons:

A shade more expensive than normal.

Cord is too long for most rooms, for small rooms may need to be wound around something, not a big issue though, since it's almost impossible to knot, being rope rather than pipe.

A bit clattery, imput strokes make loud clicks, especialy the shoulder buttons, making it anything but a nocturnal predator.

The programmable macro buttons may get in the way of those with poor coordination.

Requires a USB slot, limiting a single Xbox 360 to two-player local using Onza's.

Edited by Vindekarr

Well worth your money CC.

I have one, and I can fairly say that it's probably the best Xbox 360 controller on the market at the moment. The real standouts though are the low weight, cord length(almost too long for most rooms) long warranty, and above all the redesigned triggers-the triggers have a longer pull on them but are also more sensitive. You don't notice anything diferent when playing an FPS, but get behind the wheel of a race game and they're a huge boon, giving substantialy better brake/throttle feather.

All around though CC I couldn't recomend anything better, unless you want to blow a few hundred on something bespoke. This goes double for racing games, as this feels like it was designed with a focus on the track. :thumbsup:

Pros:

Substantialy lighter, about 35% lighter, as a result of not being battery powered.

Much nicer shape to hold, and with a flat plain for buttons, and better moulded wings, it's much nicer for long sessions.

Synthetic, Leather-like texture is comfortable to hold, just so happens to be sweatproof too and can be cleaned with a damp kitchen sponge.

Button layout slightly better, revised triggers sublime for racing games and a quantum leap better than normal.

Slightly more nuanced stick controls, variable stick tension via twist knobs under the thumbstick grip.

Programmable extra set of shoulder buttons can be remapped to any fuction already mapped, ideal for racing(set them to your gear shifter controls) but absolutely lifesaving in Halo and similar(You can bind nearly every important keystroke to the shoulder buttons, making you as quick as an asp in FPS games, especialy on the melee)

Gives a wholely subjective but palpable sense of being very well put together and well designed, doesn't feel like it'll break or let you down.

Cons:

A shade more expensive than normal.

Cord is too long for most rooms, for small rooms may need to be wound around something, not a big issue though, since it's almost impossible to knot, being rope rather than pipe.

A bit clattery, imput strokes make loud clicks, especialy the shoulder buttons, making it anything but a nocturnal predator.

The programmable macro buttons may get in the way of those with poor coordination.

Requires a USB slot, limiting a single Xbox 360 to two-player local using Onza's.

Thanks. Still considering atm, but that might sway me closer to it.

I've heard it's an excellent gamepad, but read something about some kind of issue people were experiencing a while back. My memory is foggy, but I think it had to do with a specific batch of the product. Can't for the life of me recall where I read it, though.

Will have to dig a little for this, ill try to find any bit of info i can. If you find it, remember to let me know!

N, you can get a generally better pad, ie the Xbox 360 pad who has a huge list of compability. I would suggest the Xbox pad, not the Razer :)

Any specific reasons behind it? Because i do like the fact that the Razer has a couple of macro buttons on it.

Edited by CommanderCrazy

I thought it was on one of the forums I frequent.

http://www.nag.co.za/forums/showthread.php?16740-PC-Gamers-Look-Here!&p=352484&viewfull=1#post352484

And after googling, I found this;

http://www.decerto.net/v4/index.php?threads/razer-onza-te-left-trigger-problem.51140/

http://icupcake.org/plays/razer-onza-te-and-the-issues-it-has/

It's been a while since then, so most of the issues have probably been fixed, though. From the sounds of it, it was either hit or miss. Either it worked perfectly, or it had issues.

Most of these issues seem to be with the Tournament Edition. I am going for the Standard Edition.

I will still wait for some more info before i purchase, i have been reading official and non official reviews, mixed so far. The good reports are stellar, but the bad reports are terrible. :confused:

Any specefic reason?

Umm yeah. You can get for far cheaper a pad that will have a much wider compability list. Plenty of games support the Xbox 360 pad. Also, Razr isn't as good as it appears. My brother bought several razr stuff that broke within a month, Did I mention there customer service sucks?