Will running Skyrim off an SSD improve gameplay?

BavmordasMuffin

Really old thread, but i am also curious about this. I suffer with the same stuttering, because of disk reading problems. I have a 1TB HDD and am thinking to buy an SSD. Now, i have no doubt that this will eliminate my stuttering, as data reading from the disk will be greatly improved with an SSD, but here's the big question. Could i just simply copy all of my skyrim folders and mods etc ... to the SSD and play straight away from there ? Or would i have to install everything again from scratch ? I have put in alot of time and effort to get everything working with my Skyrim game, and it would be a shame if i had to do all that again. PM me or respond to this post would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Kyrie Iona

When I moved from HDD to SSD the effects was instant. Especially my load time.. whent from around 50sec-1,5min to a mere 15-20 sec. And if loading heavy modded areas like the open world areas it is down to 30sec... Useing RAID on top of that now atleast and it loads stupid fast and I have almost all of the popular HD texture packs on nexus installed and also most overhaul mods and so on.

Think 150 mods... most of tehm HD Texture mods.

It loads fast.. it's worth the price.

Edited by MCMoffer

When I moved from HDD to SSD the effects was instant. Especially my load time.. whent from around 50sec-1,5min to a mere 15-20 sec. And if loading heavy modded areas like the open world areas it is down to 30sec... Useing RAID on top of that now atleast and it loads stupid fast and I have almost all of the popular HD texture packs on nexus installed and also most overhaul mods and so on.

Thats nice to hear. But can you just move all the files over to the SSD ? Is there a guide to do this, or through steam maybe or NMM ? How did you do it ?

• 1 year later...

Are you absolutely sure its a disk reading problems? Have you defragged the disk etc?

Thats nice to hear. But can you just move all the files over to the SSD ? Is there a guide to do this, or through steam maybe or NMM ? How did you do it ?

Yes you can but assuming its your main or boot drive you'll have to install Steam first via the installer then you can copy the Skyrim folder over ....Steam\SteamApps\Common\Skyrim and you'll have to run verify cache to let Steam know it's there. Sometimes that doesn't work for some reason so launching TESV.exe directly will force Steam to acknowedge it.

As for NMM do the same install it then copy over its mod install folder and its install logs folder contents.

Mod load list is stored in C:\Users\<your name\AppData\Local\Skyrim you'll need loadorder.txt and plugins.txt and drop those in your new folder after you've run Skyrim via the Steam launcher at least once to let it detect and setup initial registry entries, etc. Oh and if you're running custom Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini files then backup them too from ..\My Documents\My Games\Skyrim.

Oh and last but not least don't forget to backup your savegames from My Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Saves folder.

Phew, that should cover it all.

n.b. you'll probably have to install SKSE preferably from the installer again to let it set up shortcuts, etc if you're using that (and you should)

Edited by soupdragon1234

• 1 year later...

All this talk about SSD cards and then Graphics Cards helping big time for Skyrim and modding Skyrim, but I'm curious. What about USB's? Has anyone tried or considered even trying a USB, since SSD cards and USB's are both for storage? And yet you can get a 2 TB USB for $20 online, instead of buying a flipping $500 SSD card online for less room. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just brain storming over here and might even be a noob at this stuff. :tongue: