Why use companions?

erikface

It might just be me, but I highly avoided using companions in Fallout 3 and NV because I didn't want them taking my exp from me. My memory is a little blurry, but is that actually something to worry about? When going into a battle, do you gain nothing for the enemies that are killed by your companions? If so, why do you find companions useful? I'd rather hog all the exp for myself.

Uh no, I really doubt that. The skill progression in Skyrim (and Elder Scrolls in general) is about what YOU do, not what your companion does.

I can certainly imagine a companion offering to teach you their skills (for a price of course) if you befriend them enough though.

Edited by Adrius2

If the companions in game are any good then I will probably use them on a couple of my characters.... a meat shield for my Mage and a healer for my Warrior, my Thief/Hunter will probably just settle for a good dog. ;)

It's nice to have a companion that can heal for you, carry stuff for you, and perhaps if you're lucky they manage to help you kill stuff too. Once we have some mods like QuickStore in Oblivion I won't need one to act as a pack mule, but it's still nice to have someone to help you out in the harder fights.... good for R.P. too.