How do you roll? First person or third person?

CalibanX

Well in the playthrough we see Todd do a finisher to a bandit in first-person but also his finishing move on the dragon is in third-person so it probably varies by size of enemy.

He goes into third person on the wolf, i'm guessing it's third person for any none human/beast enemies.

I play in 3rd person near 90% of my game.... sometimes switching to first for random reasons. I'll stay in first person for a little bit and then get annoyed with it and switch back. Did the same in fallout, but more like 70% of the time

1st person may be a bit more accurate, but I fight better in 3rd.

In the past, I have used third person when I wanted to make sure to see if things sneaking up on me, and first person when I could not live with third person (for example, sneak animations in morrowind are agonizing in third person) and third person when I could not live in first person (talking to a shop keeper in first person was sometimes deadly in morrowind).

But what will I do this time?

If my past experience is any guide, I will try switching back and forth between both modes and eventually I will find reasons to like one over the other and those reasons might leave me using different points of view in different situations.

I also find that in first person I have difficulty judging the depth of field distance between me & my enemies. Since each swing consumes Stamina, I don't like to just swing wildly, but when I'm equipped with shorter weapons (knives, short swords) I found that I couldn't always tell if I was in striking distance of my opponent in first person. In third person, I know the attack range of various weapon's reach from my character's body and can more easily judge if I'm within striking distance or not. This also applies to the somewhat odd power attack animations that one would unlock (in Oblivion) as well.

That being said, it is fun to then play a bow or mage character and then play primarily in first person shooting at things. What tended to become tedious for me was play styles that ended up having to repetitiously switch from first to third person in combat (Start with a bow attack, then switch to sword or a touch spell for instance). I'm curious to see how such things pan out in Skyrim. I'm enthusiastically hopeful about just about everything with Skyrim.

Edited by CalibanX

I normally play Assassin style characters in previous games. Including Fallout too.

For this reason, i mainly run around in Third Person. As I can get a better look at my surroundings. Also, the admiration of looks of gear etc. For combat, unless its ranged such as magic or bow I'll go into first person.