Large Address Aware Patch

crazynuts

I believe it was Pete Hines himself that said (on his Twitter) that there will not be a 64-bit executable. Whoever said it, it was said by Bethesda.

But, keep in mind, while some of us judging the situation and basing things off past games (Oblivion, Fallout 3 - both of which are on the GameBryo engine) is somewhat founded, we need to keep in mind that this is a new game engine. Now don't start an argument about "how new" the Creation Engine really is, or arguing that "it's just an updated version and not from scratch" - we've all heard it and I don't care to get into that. That's not important. It's a new engine, and there's a chance that it was (by some miracle) made to allow more RAM usage so it can be more versatile and powerful, vanilla and especially modded. I wouldn't worry too much, cross the bridge when you get there.

Edited by natelovesyou

Yes, you will need such a patch for the game to utilize more than 2 gigs of RAM.

Here's more info and instructions on how to patch it.

The game isn't even out first of all. So you don't know if the game can or can't utilize more than 2 GB. Secondly, he doesn't need the patch because he has Windows 7 64 Bit. Windows 7 utilizes all the RAM that is installed on a computer. The only thing RAM does is enable you to multitask and keep programs open without slowing down your computer. Skyrim is only one program. And judging by his PC specs, it would be an insult to try and patch that computer.

There are so many things wrong with this post. First, your computer can use tons of RAM for a single program, not just multitasking. I run VSTs that take up all 12gb of mine in a single program all the time. Second, just because he is running windows 7 64bit doesn't mean an EXE will run in 64bit or 32bit, if it's running in 32 like most programs are designed for, it will only use a few gigs max. Your post comes off as being very condescending yet it is clear you don't even know what you are talking about.

I am not bashing at anyone, and your post isn't helping his situation at all. Yes, this program will most likely run in just 32 bit. Yes, depending on the program you run, it may or may not need more access memory. Does that mean Skyrim will need 12 GB? or even 4 GB? No. Not even close. Even with mods. Also, this is not an audio studio program, it is a game.

While you were googling VST you should have also googled the benefits of running many modern games in a 64 bit environment. Also your own words state, we don't know yet, since no one has yet played this game. So when we take that into play and the possibilities with hi-res texture overhauls, LOD, soundpacks, etc, there is a good chance we will see this game push the stability of 32 bit systems. He certaintly will not be "insulting" anyone if he tries a patch on his system.

I really hope it does too. Bethesda would be really dense if they overlooked this.

ROTFLMAO

the same people who included a NO-DVD bypass program on their commercial distribution copy of FO3

of course this could never happen.

:P

Edited by Fonger

As has already been pointed out - the game specs have not yet been revealed, so most of this is premature.

Best guess. In order to be backward compatible Skyrim will be a 32 bit application. If so, the game itself will most likely have a built in 2G Ram limit. A LGA patch would allow about 3G max on a 32 bit machine.

To allow the game to use more than that 2G on a 64 bit machine, a LGA patch will be needed. They are readily available and easy to install. However, The game is going to be through steam, and steam may cause problems with a LGA patch. We will just have to wait and see - Personally, I hope the game comes with the LGA patch already in place.

Their auto patching system may prove to be somewhat problematic, attempting to patch an altered exe rarely ends well.

Yes, you will need such a patch for the game to utilize more than 2 gigs of RAM.

The game isn't even out first of all. So you don't know if the game can or can't utilize more than 2 GB. Secondly, he doesn't need the patch because he has Windows 7 64 Bit. Windows 7 utilizes all the RAM that is installed on a computer. The only thing RAM does is enable you to multitask and keep programs open without slowing down your computer. Skyrim is only one program. And judging by his PC specs, it would be an insult to try and patch that computer.

There are so many things wrong with this post. First, your computer can use tons of RAM for a single program, not just multitasking. I run VSTs that take up all 12gb of mine in a single program all the time. Second, just because he is running windows 7 64bit doesn't mean an EXE will run in 64bit or 32bit, if it's running in 32 like most programs are designed for, it will only use a few gigs max. Your post comes off as being very condescending yet it is clear you don't even know what you are talking about.

I am not bashing at anyone, and your post isn't helping his situation at all. Yes, this program will most likely run in just 32 bit. Yes, depending on the program you run, it may or may not need more access memory. Does that mean Skyrim will need 12 GB? or even 4 GB? No. Not even close. Even with mods. Also, this is not an audio studio program, it is a game.

While you were googling VST you should have also googled the benefits of running many modern games in a 64 bit environment. Also your own words state, we don't know yet, since no one has yet played this game. So when we take that into play and the possibilities with hi-res texture overhauls, LOD, soundpacks, etc, there is a good chance we will see this game push the stability of 32 bit systems. He certaintly will not be "insulting" anyone if he tries a patch on his system.

I have given my two cents. And your arrogance get's you nowhere. For the record, not only do I know what VST's are, I use them myself.

I really hope it does too. Bethesda would be really dense if they overlooked this.

This is the same Bethesda who put the copy protection for FO3 on the launcher instead of the game, anything is possible.

I'm pretty handy with computers, run Windows 7 64 bit and have 8 gigs of RAM. So, yeah, I can pretty much verify what I posted originally is accurate, unless they release a pre-patched executable (we can hope, but it hasn't happened with previous games), or they release a 64-bit version of Skyrim (not currently announced, highly unlikely). Also, games use more than 2 gigs of RAM on my setup all the time, but they won't do so unless they're large address aware. So, while Windows 7 may use the RAM currently available, individual 32-bit applications will not, unless they're patched. The idea is not to patch the 'computer' or operating system btw, but to patch each 32-bit application you want to utilize more than 2 gigs of RAM.

To get more detailed, there are workarounds for the limit already in place in recent 32 bit versions of Windows which basically allow around 3 gigs of RAM for the OS to utilize, and a workaround for 64-bit OS' to utilize up to 4 gigs when running 32-bit apps. But this brings into the fore another factor, which is that total RAM is limited to between 3 and 4 gigs. This means any RAM present, for example, on your graphics card is also part of that total. If you have 4 gigs of RAM on Windows 7 32-bit and a graphics card with 1 gig, then it all adds into the total 5, of which, only 3 gigs will be useable by the OS at any given time.

Running a 64-bit operating system and installing large address aware patches on the 32-bit apps you deem necessary can help tremendously in using the RAM on a given computer more efficiently. You do bring up a good point in that you can't be certain the application will efficiently utilize RAM in excess of 2 gigs, but there are also workarounds for this as documented elsewhere on these forums. In Oblivion specifically, using a program such as Oblivion Stutter Remover with the replace heap function enabled and an increased heap size helps both with more efficient threading and use of RAM.

Edited by xaliqen

My experience:

I've personally used both methods for two years, with very significant success on both accounts on my very heavily modded TESIV game, MERP too. Stability is a total non-issue compared to other issues/conflicts that other mods/plugins have, oh and then there's all the ini tweaks too...

Apx. 2.7GB seems to be the max. usage with my 4GB laptop though, regardless of how scantily configured my Vista is. (~700MB) ~1.65GB usage is typical