Persistent World?

Sprouts

Oh, yeah you're right.

I'm guessing those certain buildings are destroyed as part of a quest, like in earlier bethesda games (Fallout 3 Megaton for instance).

I'm sure Todd said in an interview that they can only do it when they can completely write it off- like megaton. I don't have that video to hand but I have a feeling it is in the 56min podcast-also on youtube.

Highly doubt it. Persistent Worlds are largely online only, such as WoW, Everquest, or Neverwinter Nights, aka. worlds that keep on existing even after you have logged off (due to the other people playing the game on servers).

In a Persistent World time passes 24/7, all the time--the game world runs independently of the human players it contains.

I don't see how that could happen with an offline single-player game.

That said, it might be cool to somehow have some timekeeping kernel of the game always running (perhaps an on/off toggle if the player wouldn't want to use it) on your system, thereby keeping track of the time passing inside Skyrim and thus having the NPCs continuing with their daily tasks or perhaps other, non-critical events happening that would be different when the player officially entered the game again.

Edited by SansSword

Oh, yeah you're right.

I'm guessing those certain buildings are destroyed as part of a quest, like in earlier bethesda games (Fallout 3 Megaton for instance).

Megaton was the example that Todd used in the fan interview when we learned that info. :)

Its a place that the player can become attached to, but it isnt required and can be "removed" in a clean sweep. My bet is that riverwood gets a nice earthquake when the greybeards speak.

------

As to the original poster...

Persistence was found in Oblivion in the case of Oblivion gates scars remaining. However, there are no season changes, no destructible environments, foods and stocks repopulate.

Highly doubt it. Persistent Worlds are largely online only, such as WoW, Everquest, or Neverwinter Nights, aka. worlds that keep on existing even after you have logged off (due to the other people playing the game on servers).

In a Persistent World time passes 24/7, all the time--the game world runs independently of the human players it contains.

I don't see how that could happen with an offline single-player game.

That said, it might be cool to somehow have some timekeeping kernel of the game always running (perhaps an on/off toggle if the player wouldn't want to use it) on your system, thereby keeping track of the time passing inside Skyrim and thus having the NPCs continuing with their daily tasks or perhaps other, non-critical events happening that would be different when the player officially entered the game again.

They did that in fable 2

@Odai: Damn I'm sure I even saw that fan interview, must've forgotten about it consciously while I sub-consciously connected to my inner-Todd and used his logic to come to the Megaton conclusion.

My head is full of Todd.

If you read the interview where they asked about destructive environments, the response didn't really confirm destructive buildingss since interiors are completely different cells than the exterior world they can't really do it. Except for rare occasions like mehrunes coming through the temple roof in the cinematic at the end of oblivion, but these are special cells that allow them to do that.

This is another example of fans taking every little thing bethesda says seriously without looking at thecontext. Just like werewolves.