ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Stolen Mods

BrianUK

I want to let everyone know that mods are being stolen and uploaded on Beth.net by no less than (currently) 5 'authors'. I made this post on Reddit yesterday to get the word out - https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/4mk1mp/psastolen_mods_beginning_to_get_out_of_hand/

However, as of today there are more on Beth.net. I'm not sure what the policy re: name and shame here is, but it would be wrong of me to not make sure the mod authors on the Nexus were aware of what has been going on over the past 24-48 hours.

Any pointers on where to stuff an email to the powers that be would be lovely.

Edited by BrianUK

I've looked and looked, but there doesn't seem to be anything other than reporting mods and filing mods for removal. I'm certain that if Bethesda gave us the tools to help keep order, things would settle after awhile, but the site is such a mess right now it's impossible. I'm not pretending that mod theft will ever go away on Bethesda.net any more than it will on any other mod platform, but if these guys would just wait for the mods instead of uploading them publicly without permission, they'd be uploaded for real a lot sooner. I don't blame other MAs for waiting to upload until Bethesda fixes the site's problems, I just wish Bethesda would fix the site's problems.

Crossbows of the Commonwealth has just been uploaded which is a mod that specifies that it should not be uploaded to another site under any circumstances.

Shame, I just messaged the author hoping to get the mod hidden in time......

Well you have to wonder how long the really good experienced modders will tolerate this crap before they just end up saying screw this and not publish mods any longer until things change. And I don't mean just on Beth but everywhere else. I know that I've seen DDproductions83 on youtube sort of ranting about this. He says that he's about to take a break from modding all together because of these a$$holes stealing his mods. Check out his video but be aware that if foul language is an issue for you then maybe you shouldn't. :laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJVlZJcqAzk

I know exactly what I'm going to do to help combat this with my own up-and-coming mod, Beast Master.

When the player first starts the game with Beast Master installed, a message box will pop up on the screen saying something like:

"If you downloaded this mod from Bethesda.net, it was stolen! Please support the real author, Steelfeathers, on Nexusmods.com instead."

Edited by steelfeathers

That's a cool idea. Hopefully all mod makers who have no intentions of ever publishing their work on Beth will do something similar. Also would be nice if they would write a comment to you on Nexus saying that they indeed downloaded your mod on Beth.

hi everyone on nexus who happens to read this console gamer here (also skyrim on pc) not fallout 4 sadly pc lacks power to run it :(

please please dont punish the larger crowd for the actions of a few i know how much work is put into everyone and many console gamers do to (if there like me ive been stalking mod sites since the annoucement of console mods) basically all im trying to say is dont give up on consoles and sorry on behalf of the idiots who think its right to steal peoples hardwork.

hi everyone on nexus who happens to read this console gamer here (also skyrim on pc) not fallout 4 sadly pc lacks power to run it :sad:

please please dont punish the larger crowd for the actions of a few i know how much work is put into everyone and many console gamers do to (if there like me ive been stalking mod sites since the annoucement of console mods) basically all im trying to say is dont give up on consoles and sorry on behalf of the idiots who think its right to steal peoples hardwork.

I personally don't have anything against console players - I guess I'm just on the outside of all the swirling "conflict" that seems to be going on.

But anyway, the reason I personally don't like Bethesda.net has nothing to do with console gamers. And if I make console ports of my mods, I will happily put the ports on Bethesda.net so you guys can get them.

I don't like using Bethesda.net as a hosting site for the PC mods I make because 1) the site is un-intuitive, difficult to use, and lacks a lot of critical features for the upkeep of a mod page, 2) it's a piece of cake for people to get away with re-uploading your mod under their name.

hi everyone on nexus who happens to read this console gamer here (also skyrim on pc) not fallout 4 sadly pc lacks power to run it :sad:

I personally don't have anything against console players - I guess I'm just on the outside of all the swirling "conflict" that seems to be going on.

But anyway, the reason I personally don't like Bethesda.net has nothing to do with console gamers. And if I make console ports of my mods, I will happily put the ports on Bethesda.net so you guys can get them.

I don't like using Bethesda.net as a hosting site for the PC mods I make because 1) the site is un-intuitive, difficult to use, and lacks a lot of critical features for the upkeep of a mod page, 2) it's a piece of cake for people to get away with re-uploading your mod under their name.

yeah that whole thing confused me to, its not needed thats why we have nexus, but the way things are going all console users will suffer for the ignorance of a few, i know mod authors will be pi**ed over this but alot of console users are to cause we know in the long run we suffer yeah cool we get a few mods now but future support for these isnt going to happen or new mods its sad i thought better of my community