Why does my mod show up as coding in a notepad instead of extractable

FPSkrap

I'm trying to install Deadly Reflex 6.0. It's not working because when I install the mod, it gives me coding in a notepad document. I save this to my data file, and try to activate the data files in the launcher, but it's not there. After a few youtube videos, I saw that usually when you install a mod, it gives you a folder with meshes, textures, an .esp file and a readme. Unfortunately, when I download a mod, I get none of that stuff. Just the coding on a notepad. I've been trying this for a long time and I can't seem to figure it out. I've tried using 7-zip to extract it, but I think there's nothing to extract. I'm really new to data files and archives and all of this stuff so I really don't have any idea. I'm not even sure what an archive is at this point. Can you please help me?

Thanks.

You've associated that file extension with notepad, therefore windows opens it in notepad when you double click it. The extension is most likely .rar or .7z either way, Winrar or 7Zip can be used to extract it,

Right click on the archive, select properties, and I believe on the first tab that pops up there's a box that says "Opens With:" and next to that box is a button that will allow you to change what program is used to open it.

You've associated that file extension with notepad, therefore windows opens it in notepad when you double click it. The extension is most likely .rar or .7z either way, Winrar or 7Zip can be used to extract it,

Right click on the archive, select properties, and I believe on the first tab that pops up there's a box that says "Opens With:" and next to that box is a button that will allow you to change what program is used to open it.

What should I choose to open it with? the only recommended ones are notepad and an apparent duplicate that also says notepad. Should I select the other notepad?

You should take the option to browse for, and select either Winrar or 7Zip. If you don't have either, get one of them.

Winrar is a commercial product that allows a limited free trial - then starts nagging you to pay.

7-Zip is absolutely FREE for any use and for as many computers as you want, And (IMHO) better than winrar. Plus, it is readily available just about anywhere that you don't have to pay to download - Like right here on TesNexus. http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/search.php :thumbsup:

These are both programs and not mods so be sure to read the instructions before installing.

What should I choose to open it with? the only recommended ones are notepad and an apparent duplicate that also says notepad. Should I select the other notepad?

Alright I can open it with either 7zip file manager, 7zip console, or 7zip file manager. Which should I choose and do I need to reinstall the mod after doing so?

7zip file manager.

Extract everything to a temp directory first, have a look at what's there, check the readme for installation instructions, and then do what it says. If you have assorted 'stuff' in your data folder from previous attempts at installing things, may wanna clean that up first. (Fresh install would really be best.... BBen has a really good guide around here somewhere.

Alright I can open it with either 7zip file manager, 7zip console, or 7zip file manager. Which should I choose and do I need to reinstall the mod after doing so?

Alright thanks I've gotten it to work mostly now, I just need to launch the game. You're supposed to launch it through OBSE, right? When I try and do so, it says I should launch the game through steam instead of OBSE. It also says I should enable accessing the steam community in game to fix this, I've done that and it still won't let me launch through OBSE. Do I have to have a non steam version of oblivion to mod? Please say no :(

Quote from the OBSE readme:

Launch Oblivion via Steam or by running Oblivion.exe. OBSE will automatically be run along with Oblivion when launched. To disable this, rename or move obse_steam_loader.dll. You do not need to use obse_loader.exe unless you are running the editor.

To run the game don't change how you did it before adding OBSE (this only applies to STEAM users). If you are going to use the Construction Set you will need to edit you CS shortcut.

Quote from the OBSE readme:

Launch Oblivion via Steam or by running Oblivion.exe. OBSE will automatically be run along with Oblivion when launched. To disable this, rename or move obse_steam_loader.dll. You do not need to use obse_loader.exe unless you are running the editor.

To run the game don't change how you did it before adding OBSE (this only applies to STEAM users). If you are going to use the Construction Set you will need to edit you CS shortcut.

So when I launch oblivion after installing mods through OBMM, I launch oblivion using OblivionLauncher, and for some reason, my mods just straight up aren't there. I have them all activated in OBMM and everything.