Oblivion fails to load after installing Wrye Bash

einsteingroovin

Hey all. I've ran into a rather heartbreaking problem. After installing Wrye Bash, Oblivion doesn't load. The process appears in task manager for a brief second before disappearing. I've done three clean installs of Oblivion and all have had the same result. Could anyone point me in the right direction of finding the cause of this? Thanks.

What version of the game are you running? Is it the d2d version? If so there have been people mentioning that this version doesn't like mods at all. If not, what version of Wrye Bash are you running? I have heard the most recent release has issues at times. I would recommend using Wrye Bash version 294 as it has shown itself to be reliable and stable.

Win7 doesn't really believe you when you tell it to turn off UAC, it still kinda hides there in the background..... Having the game installed to the program files folder really isn't the best plan for modable games, especially if you want to use OBSE.

Installing wrye bash really shouldn't have any affect at all on the game itself. If you uninstall Wrye will the game run?

GOTY 1.2.0416, I'm using 2.95 but I encountered this problem over the spring and just shelved the game to see if a newer version corrected things. Everything else depending on OBSE works fine, and like I said the game stopped loading even when installed to C:\Oblivion. And no, Oblivion will not run after a clean uninstall of Wrye Bash with Revo. I've even recopied a backup of my Data folder over since installing WB.

When you did the uninstall/re-install to C:\Oblivion did you include a thorough registry cleaning between the uninstall and the re-install? Left over registry entries are known to cause problems. Have a look through bben46's Oblivion reinstall procedure and see if you find any pointers.

bben suggests using something like ccleaner to clear the registry, but I have found that it doesn't always do a complete job on the first try. Make sure you run it until you don't see any entries that need to be fixed, then you should be good to go.

I recommend Revo Uninstaller as it automatically scans for and asks if you'd like to delete left behind files and registry keys once you've uninstalled any program through it. I can also verify that it cleans any entries that may cause problems with moving Oblivion to a new location. The most common issue here is that the left behind registry keys point any utilities you may be running (Wrye Bash, OBMM, TESS4Gecko, etc.) to the old location and they will tell you they can't find your Oblivion installation due to this.

On to your issue. Wrye Bash versions beyond 291 are known to sporadically cause this and it's not yet known why. It affects users randomly on Vista and Windows 7 machines with no known pattern. Until this bug is ironed out it's recommended to stick with Wrye Bash 291 if newer versions cause Oblivion to be unable to start.