Dungeon Bosses?

CalibanX

In Oblivion it was a pretty common occurrence that after clearing out a dungeon, I'd leave without ever knowing if there was a designated Boss in there. They just didn't stand out. So, amidst all of the many improvements Todd & others have mentioned about the dungeons being better designed etc, I haven't heard much in the way of Boss fights. With the exception of Dragons of course. But I'm assuming they are primarily going to occur outdoors.

One thing that would make me very happy to see in Skyrim would be identifiable dungeon bosses. Bosses that are clearly tougher than the rest of the opponents in a dungeon and/or if the Bosses were somehow visually different to further differentiate them from other opponents. Has anyone heard anything concerning Dungeon Bosses in any interviews? If not, what would you like to see in dungeon boss fights?

Edited by CalibanX

I doubt every cave has a designated boss, but I do remember a preview/interview that talked about having what seemed like a boss fight at the end of a cave. He emerged outside, nestled in a crevasse of the mountain, with a word wall guarded by a 10-foot-tall wolf. Wish I could remember where I saw/heard it.

Then, there are the Dragon Priests which seem to guard word walls, as well. And some named NPC bandits or vampires hiding in caves or mines. The visual differences probably aren't as pronounced as we'd like, but it sounds like a big step up from Oblivion's offerings!

I would like to see a challenge.

Well, if Skyrim fails to deliver than this would be my official mod request: To designate each dungeon with one Boss to fight. Without the boss-fight, dungeons are always going to be a bit of a let-down. Without the Boss, there's nothing to really fear in dungeon crawls, which, if you think about it, takes up a lot of time when playing Bethesda's open, sandbox type games. The more enemies to fear the better. Without enemies to fear, any game will quickly become stale, no matter how pretty it is.

Well, if Skyrim fails to deliver than this would be my official mod request: To designate each dungeon with one Boss to fight. Without the boss-fight, dungeons are always going to be a bit of a let-down. Without the Boss, there's nothing to really fear in dungeon crawls, which, if you think about it, takes up a lot of time when playing Bethesda's open, sandbox type games. The more enemies to fear the better. Without enemies to fear, any game will quickly become stale, no matter how pretty it is.

I agree. I would love there to be bosses. And not something that is the same thing over and just scales and is easy as you move along. But no matter your level it will always be difficult. Not just a mini-boss but a full scale fight. I know dark souls is kind of a rival but bosses like those should be in the game here and there. That would be nice. I always love boss fights. Maybe a huge dragon somewhere. Shadow of the Colossus stuff.

BTW... multiple interviews have listed named boss characters inside of dungeons and where there isnt a named NPC boss there was clear distinction. The mine full of Redguards is an example... or the vampires at the end of the tunnel of draugr.

I doubt every cave has a designated boss, but I do remember a preview/interview that talked about having what seemed like a boss fight at the end of a cave. He emerged outside, nestled in a crevasse of the mountain, with a word wall guarded by a 10-foot-tall wolf. Wish I could remember where I saw/heard it.

Then, there are the Dragon Priests which seem to guard word walls, as well. And some named NPC bandits or vampires hiding in caves or mines. The visual differences probably aren't as pronounced as we'd like, but it sounds like a big step up from Oblivion's offerings!

It's Pine Watch where he encounters a the bandit leader who's a very tough to beat woman.